Leaky kitchen mixer tap. Advice required

Posted 14th Jul
Been leaking from the spout for a while now....just a drop at a time but I just ignored it. Alas my wife doesn't want (me) to ignore it anymore because it's also leaking from the handle area as well (see arrows)
3505152.jpg
I removed the tap hoping it would be a simple washer fix but it's completely different to what I expected.

3505152.jpg
What am I looking at? Does that bit come out of the tap handle (I tried very gently with a wrench but it didn't budge & I didn't want to damage it).

What new parts do I need - basically what are they called and how do I work out the sizes etc. Or can I just replace the tap handles like for like - do they come with the fitting already inside the tap?

I was chuffed at being able to open it up, clean it & put it back together.

That's not enough for the good lady of the house!
Community Updates
Ask
28 Comments
Go to your local diy store and buy this white tape , they use it to fix new pies/taps etc
No idea what it’s called but once you twist it round that, it may stop for now

Or maybe someone else can help you
Misslovely14/07/2020 03:54

Go to your local diy store and buy this white tape , they use it to fix …Go to your local diy store and buy this white tape , they use it to fix new pies/taps etc No idea what it’s called but once you twist it round that, it may stop for now Or maybe someone else can help you

PTFE tape. I know it well. I have it. Didn't think that would be an option
Edited by: "Gollywood" 14th Jul
Gollywood14/07/2020 03:56

PTFE tape. I know it well. I have it. Didn't think that would be an …PTFE tape. I know it well. I have it. Didn't think that would be an option

Maybe lol
I didn’t know that they use these on new taps so maybe yours has worn off
Misslovely14/07/2020 03:58

Maybe lolI didn’t know that they use these on new taps so maybe yours has w …Maybe lolI didn’t know that they use these on new taps so maybe yours has worn off

There was never any used in original installation (10 years ago). I'll try some PTFE tomorrow
Gollywood14/07/2020 03:59

There was never any used in original installation (10 years ago). I'll …There was never any used in original installation (10 years ago). I'll try some PTFE tomorrow

Really? Iv seen my plumber use it 14 years ago.
They use it on new pipes and taps etc
Misslovely14/07/2020 04:04

Really? Iv seen my plumber use it 14 years ago. They use it on new pipes …Really? Iv seen my plumber use it 14 years ago. They use it on new pipes and taps etc

Will try tomorrow
Gollywood14/07/2020 04:05

Will try tomorrow

Ok. Those taps were in fashion then qood quality.
Loving your little anecdote about your Mrs
It may not be the case of just a washer change. I think that gold bit may need replacing it's probably attached to the sink where you pulled out the handle or it's attached to the handle. I don't know the name I've just seen homeserve do it on mine. Which is another option sign up on introductory rate for a year than cancel.
Edited by: "MR1123" 14th Jul
I used PTFE tape when I replaced out radiator and pipes.

Just make sure you put a few rounds of it, I went round 10 times on the radiators connectors and no leaking there.
Those are called ceramic inserts, the handles will usually be screwed down into the top of the inserts
google.com/search?q=ceamuc+tap+inserts+repair+kit&oq=ceamuc+tap+inserts+repair+kit&aqs=chrome..69i57.20674j0j9&client=ms-android-xiaomi-rev1&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8#scso=_OjcNX5ieKqXsxgPk8KjAAQ128:0
This will also help you no end
screwfix.com/c/b…108

Buy all the 1/2 ceramic tap cartridges on the above 2 pages, one of them should fit your tap (return the ones that don't). There is a grub screw under the handle to remove the tap heads, you can just see the small hole.

A ten year old tap is well beyond its usable life (especially if you have flexis). I would just get the Aldi tap on offer for £40 if you can wait for delivery.
Easy fix, just change the ceramic disk insert- about £5 from screwfix
I just change taps these days. It’s often quicker and easier.
Don’t use PTFE tape, worst advice ever, the issue is your ceramic discs have worn and there is no longer a good seal. PTFE tape wont ever fix this no matter how much you use.

Also, amazingly, you seem to have removed the cartridge and tap handle in one go which is pretty impressive considering you’re meant to remove the handle first via a grub screw and then unscrew the cartridge from the main tap housing.

Purchase correct replacement cartridge from screwfix and then screw back into tap housing and reattach handle using grub screw.

No tape needed.
Edited by: "ArcadeAssassin" 14th Jul
ArcadeAssassin14/07/2020 09:25

Don’t use PTFE tape, worst advice ever, the issue is your ceramic discs h …Don’t use PTFE tape, worst advice ever, the issue is your ceramic discs have worn and there is no longer a good seal. PTFE tape wont ever fix this no matter how much you use. Also, amazingly, you seem to have removed the cartridge and tap handle in one go which is pretty impressive considering you’re meant to remove the handle first via a grub screw and then unscrew the cartridge from the main tap housing. Purchase correct replacement cartridge from screwfix and then screw back into tap housing and reattach handle using grub screw. No tape needed.

I did remove the little grub screw first from here. Then twisted the handle and it came off with the cartridge inside it. (I was sure PTFE tape wasn't the solution )
41383522.jpg
How do I take the cartridge out? Thanks.
MR112314/07/2020 05:09

It may not be the case of just a washer change. I think that gold bit may …It may not be the case of just a washer change. I think that gold bit may need replacing it's probably attached to the sink where you pulled out the handle or it's attached to the handle. I don't know the name I've just seen homeserve do it on mine. Which is another option sign up on introductory rate for a year than cancel.

There's a £30 excess on new policies and they don't cover taps now. Those were the days....
terriclarkfan14/07/2020 12:37

There's a £30 excess on new policies and they don't cover taps now. Those …There's a £30 excess on new policies and they don't cover taps now. Those were the days....

Gollywood14/07/2020 11:36

I did remove the little grub screw first from here. Then twisted the …I did remove the little grub screw first from here. Then twisted the handle and it came off with the cartridge inside it. (I was sure PTFE tape wasn't the solution )[Image] How do I take the cartridge out? Thanks.

The twisting action probably did the same action a wrench would have done once the tap handle was removed. The tap handle itself should slide of vertically leaving the cartridge in place, at this point the water supply could still be left on as the cartridge seals itself in the tap.

Once you turn the supply off, remove the cartridge with a wrench from the tap unit and replace, at this point water will spray everywhere if water isnt off.

The fact you say you unscrewed the cartridge with the tap handle might mean the cartridge is fine and actually it just wasn’t tight enough in the tap unit.

I would replace them anyway but you could separate cartridge from handle and replace cartridge into tap unit and tighten fully, then turn water back on to see if it leaks, if it does - replacement needed, if it doesnt then replace tap handle and grub screw and job done!
If you go down the route of buying new cartridges, they come in a few different sizes. Some are cheap in wickes and some are about £23 on Amazon.
Back again....

I spent yesterday trying to sort this out, but I still cannot get the catridge out of the tap handle. It should stay in the tap unit, whilst unscrewing the tap handle but it's not - so as you see it in the photo, its firmly lodged in the handle.

If I take the handles to a local plumbing shop, will they be able to remove them and find the correct catridges or is that not something they would do?

The leak is the same. The wife's nagging is increasing.....
So, removing the grub screw did nothing?
Edited by: "esar" 26th Jul
esar26/07/2020 04:13

So, removing the grub screw did nothing?

That is correct. I applied a little bit of force to prise the cartridge from the tap handle but it won't budge.

This should be the easiest part!!!
Any circlip hiding up in there?
Technically removing the circlip on the brass coloured cartridge shaft will allow it to come apart
esar26/07/2020 04:24

Any circlip hiding up in there?Technically removing the circlip on the …Any circlip hiding up in there?Technically removing the circlip on the brass coloured cartridge shaft will allow it to come apart

I don't know what that is, especially at 4.30am ...but I'll check tomorrow
Gollywood26/07/2020 04:31

I don't know what that is, especially at 4.30am ...but I'll check …I don't know what that is, especially at 4.30am ...but I'll check tomorrow

Gollywood26/07/2020 02:39

The wife's nagging is increasing.....

An alternative solution could be to change the wife instead of the tap
Edited by: "myusernamehasgone234" 26th Jul
Post a comment
@
    Text