Expired

Leaky UPVC window

Found 30th Dec 2014
I got up this morning to find that two bay windows in my house are letting in loads of water (pouring with rain here). At first I assumed it was the seals, but I don't think it is - it is leaking from around the plastic frame. I will try to upload a photo to show where exactly.
Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this? Is it a drainage problem? Or something else?
Thanks for any ideas.
Community Updates
AskWindows
11 Comments
Just pull off the beading (the plastic frame around the glass) and have a look, maybe coming in from the cavity which is not a good sign.
Probably the drainage holes blocked.
Original Poster
Dufus74

Just pull off the beading (the plastic frame around the glass) and have a … Just pull off the beading (the plastic frame around the glass) and have a look, maybe coming in from the cavity which is not a good sign.

Thank you. Going back up the ladder to have a look
http://www.screwfix.com/p/fernox-ls-x-leak-sealer/23614

this might help as a temporary fix
bubblegum2910

http://www.screwfix.com/p/fernox-ls-x-leak-sealer/23614this might help as … http://www.screwfix.com/p/fernox-ls-x-leak-sealer/23614this might help as a temporary fix

That will not help, if the drainage holes are blocked.

Water gets past the rubber seals, gets in to the frame and then drainage holes release the water.

If they are blocked ( highly likely ) the water will escape through the join as in the photograph.
Original Poster
Thank you for the replies. Been back up the ladder and removed beading as Dufus suggested. I can't see anything to suggest the cavity is the problem - everything seems to be intact. It just looks like there is water pooling along the bottom cill, which then leaks out. It only affects the top (non-opening) windows around the bay. Looking from the outside the windows do have drainage holes but without covers. Unless it is through there I still don't understand where the water is getting in?
Original Poster
Inactive

That will not help, if the drainage holes are blocked. Water gets past … That will not help, if the drainage holes are blocked. Water gets past the rubber seals, gets in to the frame and then drainage holes release the water. If they are blocked ( highly likely ) the water will escape through the join as in the photograph.

Thank you, that answers my question of how water gets in
I guess I need to get the drainage holes checked - a job for someone with a longer ladder than mine.
Thank you for the replies.
Butterbean

Thank you, that answers my question of how water gets in :)I guess I need … Thank you, that answers my question of how water gets in :)I guess I need to get the drainage holes checked - a job for someone with a longer ladder than mine.Thank you for the replies.

You just need to poke something in to the drainage holes to clear them, an old coat hanger or similar will suffice, once they are clear of debri, the water will just drain away externally.
Looks like your internally beaded, pop the beads off carefully, and remove the glass, then clean the drainage holes. Probably blocked with swarf and dirt build up, either that or not put in at point of manufacture.
If your Beaded internally then I bet you have those double sided sticky foam strips in the outside frame and they have rotted and broken down. You will need to pull all the beading and glass out and get a new roll of foam. Good news is its a job you can do yourself and from inside. Bet there is a YouTube video for it;-)
pat915m

If your Beaded internally then I bet you have those double sided sticky … If your Beaded internally then I bet you have those double sided sticky foam strips in the outside frame and they have rotted and broken down. You will need to pull all the beading and glass out and get a new roll of foam. Good news is its a job you can do yourself and from inside. Bet there is a YouTube video for it;-)

Unlikely that internally beaded windoes ( these ) will have double sided tape installed, that is usually only fitted to externally beaded windows for security purposes.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions