Learn basic Spanish

Found 29th Nov 2017
I am looking to learn basic Spanish so when I go on holiday to Spain, I can understand what people are saying and understand street signs etc.

I was thinking of looking for courses online.

Any hints, suggestions etc would be really helpful guys. Thanks in advance
Community Updates
Ask
16 Comments
YouTube? Maybe a free app from the App Store? I’d imagine there would be loads of both. Failing that, Dora the Explorer!
Dios ayude al Español!
ktm66614 m ago

YouTube? Maybe a free app from the App Store? I’d imagine there would be l …YouTube? Maybe a free app from the App Store? I’d imagine there would be loads of both. Failing that, Dora the Explorer!

there was a free app flagged up on here but it was hopeless. it was flooded with adverts and there were more adverts to watch than learn any blooming Spanish!
RossD895 m ago

Dios ayude al Español!

just put that into google translate and had to laugh. lol

Dios ayude al Español! = god help the Spanish
Try Duolingo. Speaking more as a trainer than a poloyglot here, but I really like Duolingo for the way it conveys information and then tests users on it. Its killer feature, imo, is its voice recognition, which enables the app to not only test that you can listen, read, write and retain, but that you can speak it correctly too. It's a massive improvement over those old, passive learn-at-home formats, like books or videos, and probably a step up from what most websites can offer, too.

Don't stress yourself about learning beyond the basics, though. Most Spaniards under 40 have been raised with a reasonably steady diet of American/English movies, music, and TV, so they're naturally far more versed in English than you could realistically become in Spanish, so you're as well communicating with younger folk in English anyway. Also, I'd be a little worried that your brain might explode if you learned to count beyond tres.

Edit: Worth adding as well btw, Google Translate is an amazing app for translating IRL foreign texts into English. It's worth installing ahead of time, just in case you get stuck. Also, SportsTracker is one of my favourite apps for adventuring around cities, since you can use it to track everywhere you've been. It'll help you a lot if/when you get lost.
Edited by: "dxx" 29th Nov 2017
dxx7 m ago

Try Duolingo. Speaking more as a trainer than a poloyglot here, but I …Try Duolingo. Speaking more as a trainer than a poloyglot here, but I really like Duolingo for the way it conveys information and then tests users on it. Its killer feature, imo, is its voice recognition, which enables the app to not only test that you can listen, read, write and retain, but that you can speak it correctly too. It's a massive improvement over those old, passive learn-at-home formats, like books or videos, and probably a step up from what most websites can offer, too.Don't stress yourself about learning beyond the basics, though. Most Spaniards under 40 have been raised with a reasonably steady diet of American/English movies, music, and TV, so they're naturally far more versed in English than you could realistically become in Spanish, so you're as well communicating with younger folk in English anyway. Also, I'd be a little worried that your brain might explode if you learned to count beyond tres.Edit: Worth adding as well btw, Google Translate is an amazing app for translating IRL foreign texts into English. It's worth installing ahead of time, just in case you get stuck. Also, SportsTracker is one of my favourite apps for adventuring around cities, since you can use it to track everywhere you've been. It'll help you a lot if/when you get lost.

thank you. just logged on to duolingo and it looks great. will start using that.

yes, when we were in Spain a few years ago, all the Spaniards spoke some English as there were so many Brits over there, it felt like a mini Britain, which is one of the attraction of Spain for me, the other being the warm weather in out freezing winter!

but the street signs were in Spanish and it would be good to get a gist of what people are saying when you hear them speak in Spanish.
dxx3 h, 36 m ago

Also, I'd be a little worried that your brain might explode if you learned …Also, I'd be a little worried that your brain might explode if you learned to count beyond tres.

mas998 m ago

uno. one.
dos. two.
tres. three.
cuatro. four.
cinco. five.
seis. six.
siete. seven.
ocho. eight.

well, i got to eight from a google search. lol. i think this is enough for the rest of this month
Edited by: "mutley1" 29th Nov 2017
mutley112 m ago

uno. one.dos. two.tres. three.cuatro.

32602860-Xe3da.jpg
Edited by: "mas99" 29th Nov 2017
On a recent trip to Egypt I used google translate. You talk I'm your phone and it reads out the translated language and vice versa.

I actually managed to have conversations with people that spoke no English.
I used a linguaphone course to learn Greek. Mine was on CD's, I just played them in the car and over and over until it sunk in.
mutley116 h, 55 m ago

thank you. just logged on to duolingo and it looks great. will start …thank you. just logged on to duolingo and it looks great. will start using that. yes, when we were in Spain a few years ago, all the Spaniards spoke some English as there were so many Brits over there, it felt like a mini Britain, which is one of the attraction of Spain for me, the other being the warm weather in out freezing winter!but the street signs were in Spanish and it would be good to get a gist of what people are saying when you hear them speak in Spanish.

You'll barely under a word of native Spanish speakers even after 6 months on duolingo
And you don't need any Spanish to read and understand the street signs
Edited by: "chocci" 30th Nov 2017
chocci3 h, 32 m ago

You'll barely under a word of native Spanish speakers even after 6 months …You'll barely under a word of native Spanish speakers even after 6 months on duolingoAnd you don't need any Spanish to read and understand the street signs

what's wrong with duolingo? it seems quite good as it speaks the word out loud so you learn to understand what it sounds like?

some of the street signs, like on beaches, are written in spanish about dogs not being allowed on the promenade etc. but just written stuff you see displayed around in spanish, like posters etc and signs in shop windows. it would be good to understand what they are saying.
mutley12 h, 7 m ago

what's wrong with duolingo? it seems quite good as it speaks the word out …what's wrong with duolingo? it seems quite good as it speaks the word out loud so you learn to understand what it sounds like?some of the street signs, like on beaches, are written in spanish about dogs not being allowed on the promenade etc. but just written stuff you see displayed around in spanish, like posters etc and signs in shop windows. it would be good to understand what they are saying.

Did Duolingo spanish for a year and whilst it does improve reading ability, you really wont understand much when listening as they speak so fast and have regional dialects (like the UK). I have tried a few times speaking to the Spanish and they just reply to me in English

I stopped the course about a year ago and barely remember any of it so its only worth it if you plan to use the language regularly (3 holidays in Spain a year doesnt really cut it )

There are some words I will never forget though like Zapatos and pantalones lol
chocci17 m ago

Did Duolingo spanish for a year and whilst it does improve reading …Did Duolingo spanish for a year and whilst it does improve reading ability, you really wont understand much when listening as they speak so fast and have regional dialects (like the UK). I have tried a few times speaking to the Spanish and they just reply to me in English I stopped the course about a year ago and barely remember any of it so its only worth it if you plan to use the language regularly (3 holidays in Spain a year doesnt really cut it )There are some words I will never forget though like Zapatos and pantalones lol

i did a bit this morning and really like it. as it is interactive and tests you so it keeps the interest going. i appreciate the dialect and talking fast issue, but that applies to any foreign language.

learning the words in written form is very helpful so at least i will be learning that.

Zapatos - shoes
pantalones - pants (i assume underpants rather than trousers?)

hmmm.....did you wanted to buy a pair of shoes and a pair of pants in the shops? is that why you memorised this?
Edited by: "mutley1" 30th Nov 2017
mutley131 m ago

i did a bit this morning and really like it. as it is interactive and …i did a bit this morning and really like it. as it is interactive and tests you so it keeps the interest going. i appreciate the dialect and talking fast issue, but that applies to any foreign language.learning the words in written form is very helpful so at least i will be learning that.Zapatos - shoespantalones - pants (i assume underpants rather than trousers?)hmmm.....did you wanted to buy a pair of shoes and a pair of pants in the shops? is that why you memorised this?

they're just amusing words

pantalones = trousers
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants