Learning a trade while working full time

Found 13th Nov 2015
As I'm totally fed up with my job I have decided I'd like to learn a trade. I've always wanted to train to be a gas fitter/plumber and eventually work for myself but I've just got too comfy in the job I've been doing the last 10 years. Has anybody else done a similar thing like learn a trade while still managing a full time job? I have a mortgage etc to still pay you see so it's tricky. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Nick
Community Updates
Ask
8 Comments
I would advise that you pick a trade where you don't need a safety certificate, such as plastering/painting/tiling/joinery and learn yourself from online training. You can practice on your own house and take pictures for evidence of your good work. This will allow you to build up a portfolio. Maybe then start doing work for family/friends. You can do all this without going to college, which means you don't have to worry about attending and paying or fitting it in with work. It is certainly possible to learn this way - myself and OH can both tile and plaster to a professional standard, just from learning online. Good luck
Deffinatly try plastering
Friend does it for a living
Earns very good money
My lad helps him when he's over busy
Can never find helpers as can be hard work
He started out helping a local plastering firm weekends etc
Now he's his own boss and busy
As mentioned no certificate required
No company wants to hire plumbers/gas men who haven't done a full apprenticeship, so you will be forced to go self employed. It's probably the most expensive trade to start up (except maybe sparky), and you will be useless without any real world experience.

The courses you will be looking at are terrible - they are only interested in getting your money, getting the company you 'learn' from free labour (a lot of people offer to pay companies to learn the trade it's that desperate), and then getting you to pass the gas exams. You won't have a clue about anything practical.

Sadly plumbing/gas is one of the poorest paid trades now. You can earn more money as a spread, and will have next to zero start up costs, and zero ongoing costs. You also get nice guns to impress the ladies, instead of buggered knees and the likelihood of crawling around in tiny roof spaces well into your 50's.
Having been through 2 recessions my advice is stay away from the construction industry all together. Maybe now it is well paid but come the next recession (and yes there will be one) you will be struggling to find work and then earning poor wages. If you are self employed then you get no pension, sick pay, holiday pay or paid when the weather is bad unless you take it out of your own pocket.
plastering is good pay think we payed £120 per room all in. some charge more but this guy bid only busy cos of his prices
sofiasar

plastering is good pay think we payed £120 per room all in. some charge … plastering is good pay think we payed £120 per room all in. some charge more but this guy bid only busy cos of his prices

£120 per room?? It's about £100 per wall here! oO
Bradleigh

Deffinatly try plasteringFriend does it for a livingEarns very good … Deffinatly try plasteringFriend does it for a livingEarns very good moneyMy lad helps him when he's over busyCan never find helpers as can be hard workHe started out helping a local plastering firm weekends etcNow he's his own boss and busyAs mentioned no certificate required

You forgot the bullet points.
you wont be able to get trained if you are still working so you would have to bite the bullet and stop working.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants