Learning a trade whilst employed.

Posted 19th Jan
How do people learn a trade whilst employed? I'm interested in learning welding with City and Guilds, but interested in guidance from anyone who's done something similar. Thanks.
Community Updates
Ask
9 Comments
Normally a 4 year apprenticeship, you might get some basic work after classes at your local technology college.
Why welding?
Evening classes at your local college.
I did a City and Guilds level 1 and 2 MIG welding at the local college. Evening class, one night a week for two terms if I remember rightly. It did cost me money, I think £400 as I had no access to support or anything.

For me it was the start of my kit car building, I wanted to know how to weld and I didn't fancy just picking one up and teaching myself or going off Youtube videos. The course itself gave me a choice of MMA, MIG and TIG, and I felt at the time I'd have most access to, and best results from, MIG equipment.

There were about 8 of us on the course, a couple of work sponsored guys who didn't seem interested, a couple who wanted to get their 'codes' (and quickly realised that level of welding needs company sponsorship!), and the rest of us who had a hobby in mind. One of the TIG welding guys was going to build a trike so it was nice to be there with someone with a very similar end goal.
Edited by: "slimy31" 19th Jan
I managed to do a domestic installers course as an electrician at a local college. Was open weekends, 7 fulls weekends to get my qualifications. Was near Croydon if that’s want good. Also do other courses
I signed up to plumbing course 3-4 years and you do 30 hours at home per week and then Eventually some college work and then some on job work. I gave up after a few weeks (within 28days so only lost deposit). Trying to sit at home for 30 hours alone and do work was impossible, to many distractions and I just couldn’t commit to 3 hours every night after work or the 6-8 weekends. Personally if I was gonna do something again I’d quit work and train full time.
toonsquirel19/01/2020 19:55

I signed up to plumbing course 3-4 years and you do 30 hours at home per …I signed up to plumbing course 3-4 years and you do 30 hours at home per week and then Eventually some college work and then some on job work. I gave up after a few weeks (within 28days so only lost deposit). Trying to sit at home for 30 hours alone and do work was impossible, to many distractions and I just couldn’t commit to 3 hours every night after work or the 6-8 weekends. Personally if I was gonna do something again I’d quit work and train full time.

But how do you quit a job when there's rent and bills to pay? This is what I don't understand how others have done this. It's a given that it's worth the sacrifice but the journey in between is bound to be hardship.
slimy3119/01/2020 18:24

I did a City and Guilds level 1 and 2 MIG welding at the local college. …I did a City and Guilds level 1 and 2 MIG welding at the local college. Evening class, one night a week for two terms if I remember rightly. It did cost me money, I think £400 as I had no access to support or anything. For me it was the start of my kit car building, I wanted to know how to weld and I didn't fancy just picking one up and teaching myself or going off Youtube videos. The course itself gave me a choice of MMA, MIG and TIG, and I felt at the time I'd have most access to, and best results from, MIG equipment. There were about 8 of us on the course, a couple of work sponsored guys who didn't seem interested, a couple who wanted to get their 'codes' (and quickly realised that level of welding needs company sponsorship!), and the rest of us who had a hobby in mind. One of the TIG welding guys was going to build a trike so it was nice to be there with someone with a very similar end goal.

Thanks Slimy31, much appreciated
Thanks to everyone who offered there two pence to my discussion. Food for thought
JohnIIIrd20/01/2020 06:01

But how do you quit a job when there's rent and bills to pay? This is what …But how do you quit a job when there's rent and bills to pay? This is what I don't understand how others have done this. It's a given that it's worth the sacrifice but the journey in between is bound to be hardship.

Others I’ve seen either live off the other half’s money or they do it in benefits etc.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants