Learning Guitar in lockdown

Posted 23rd May
Hey all,
So I started to learn guitar at the start of lockdown and I’m still keeping up with it. Starting to hit a bit of a wall so wondered if anyone else had done same thing. Anyone given up yet? I’d not what is everyone using to learn? I’m on the Fender Play 3 month trial and using the odd YouTube video. Would be keen to see how everyone else is getting on or even get some advice from more experienced players
Community Updates
Misc

Groups

19 Comments
The wall happens, just like anything new. One thing I'll think you'll find inspiring I'd the YouTube videos that show beginners transitioning to intermediate and then to awesome. It shows what happens if you practise every day.
And 10 mins practice per day is way better than 60 minutes on a Sunday.
And a few one-to-one lessons online would be incredibly useful if you can find someone you gel with and can afford it.
britlad23/05/2020 11:12

And a few one-to-one lessons online would be incredibly useful if you can …And a few one-to-one lessons online would be incredibly useful if you can find someone you gel with and can afford it.

Cheers for the advice. Glad to hear it’s not just me with the wall. Yeah I’m trying to get in at least 10 mins most days rather than any really long sessions. Don’t think my fingers could take too long still to be honest. Think if I’m still working at it once this furlough is over I might go for a few private lessons too.
When I learn a new instrument, every so often I just ignore the lessons & spend a session doing my own thing. It sounds a bit of a mess the first couple of times, but as your standard improves so will the sound
Keep at it, but don't get hung up on having to learn everything exactly as it's taught. If you hit a wall then back off for a bit, try some simple chord changing exercises, try jamming/improvising, try playing you favourite song (include the word 'tabs' when searching for a song on the internet).
And every so often make a mental list of what you've learnt so far - you'll be amazed how fast the list grows
You Need This 40846395-ESf9j.jpg
windyshaner23/05/2020 11:27

You Need This [Image]

Brilliant! Clearly I’ve been going about this all wrong. Thanks for saving me so much time
cis_groupie23/05/2020 11:20

When I learn a new instrument, every so often I just ignore the lessons & …When I learn a new instrument, every so often I just ignore the lessons & spend a session doing my own thing. It sounds a bit of a mess the first couple of times, but as your standard improves so will the sound Keep at it, but don't get hung up on having to learn everything exactly as it's taught. If you hit a wall then back off for a bit, try some simple chord changing exercises, try jamming/improvising, try playing you favourite song (include the word 'tabs' when searching for a song on the internet).And every so often make a mental list of what you've learnt so far - you'll be amazed how fast the list grows

Glad I’ve read this because that’s what I’ve been doing. The last couple of days I’ve took a step back from the Fender lessons and just been practicing chord transitions and messing about with a bit of finger picking on a few songs. Happy to hear I’m not just wasting time.
nicholasgatti23/05/2020 11:30

Brilliant! Clearly I’ve been going about this all wrong. Thanks for saving …Brilliant! Clearly I’ve been going about this all wrong. Thanks for saving me so much time

Play in a Day remains the world's most successful guitar tutor. It is as much a legend as the stars who've learnt from it - Eric Clapton, Mike Oldfield, Paul McCartney, Steve Hillage, George Harrison, John Lennon, Sting, Brian May, Pete Townshend and dozens more. Play in a Day is easy to use, inexpensive and can help to turn you into a legendary performer too.
nicholasgatti23/05/2020 11:15

Cheers for the advice. Glad to hear it’s not just me with the wall. Yeah I …Cheers for the advice. Glad to hear it’s not just me with the wall. Yeah I’m trying to get in at least 10 mins most days rather than any really long sessions. Don’t think my fingers could take too long still to be honest. Think if I’m still working at it once this furlough is over I might go for a few private lessons too.

Your fingers will build up callouses after a while. My party trick is removing hot food from a frying pan with my left hand. I don't feel a thing any more!
britlad23/05/2020 11:36

Your fingers will build up callouses after a while. My party trick is …Your fingers will build up callouses after a while. My party trick is removing hot food from a frying pan with my left hand. I don't feel a thing any more!

Yeah they’re already starting to be honest. Completely lost feeling in the tip of my left index finger and the others are starting to get there. Dunno what I’m looking forward to more now though, being able to play more or picking up incredibly hot food
You have a find a way that works for you.....but end of the day its practice and patience. You've probably come across JustingGuitar and Andyguitar and I would also take a look at guitartricks (its about £90 a year but it is supposed to be one of the best sites). If you like rock and have an electric then also take a look at Rocksmith (not so good for learning but probably better for practicing). Amped (IOS app and was free for 3 months) is very similar to Rocksmith. Yousician is also an option......

.....and you don't need to stick to one, try a variety of them to keep things interesting.
Edited by: "gari189" 23rd May
Thanks for the advice. Trying not to spend too much on it at the moment though but might look to once I know I’m gonna persevere with it. Been using a 3/4 nylon acoustic so far. Obviously I’ll get something proper but trying to hold off for a bit.
Justinguitar and Andyguitar are free. Amped has 3 months free
hotukdeals.com/dea…840 (deal says expired but if you follow the link it is still available) Yousician is free trial for a week but I think you get 10mins a day free even if you do not subscribe. Lots of free stuff out there...
Edited by: "gari189" 23rd May
gari18923/05/2020 13:34

Justinguitar and Andyguitar are free. Amped has 3 months …Justinguitar and Andyguitar are free. Amped has 3 months freehttps://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/3-months-free-guitar-training-on-ios-3441840 (deal says expired but if you follow the link it is still available) Yousician is free trial for a week but I think you get 10mins a day free even if you do not subscribe. Lots of free stuff out there...

Oh ok great. How would you say these compare to Fender Play as that’s what I’m using at the moment. Found that one really good tbh but always willing to try something else if it helps me improve
When I learnt going back 30 years I picked up guitar tab books of my favourite songs. With everything online now Download guitar tabs and play along to your favourite songs. Loads of free resources out there and tab is so easy to read and play along, and gives instructions how to hammer and bend the strings etc. My favourite song to learn to was call of ktulu by Metallica , great instrumental.
discozohan23/05/2020 14:06

When I learnt going back 30 years I picked up guitar tab books of my …When I learnt going back 30 years I picked up guitar tab books of my favourite songs. With everything online now Download guitar tabs and play along to your favourite songs. Loads of free resources out there and tab is so easy to read and play along, and gives instructions how to hammer and bend the strings etc. My favourite song to learn to was call of ktulu by Metallica , great instrumental.

Will give that Metallica one a go Yeah I’ve downloaded the Guitar Tabs app and had a go at few of them too. Struggling to keep up but I’m sure it will come with time and practice
nicholasgatti23/05/2020 13:37

Oh ok great. How would you say these compare to Fender Play as that’s what …Oh ok great. How would you say these compare to Fender Play as that’s what I’m using at the moment. Found that one really good tbh but always willing to try something else if it helps me improve

guitartricks is similar to Fenderplay (it has video lessons and practice sessions along which you progress) but guitrartricks is a great deal more extensive and it probably has a lot more songs. AndyGuitar and Justinguitar do a similar thing to the first two but if using the free videos on website/youtube its not as easily laid out (but still very good and I think both do books as well). Yousician and amped are a bit more fun - they have more playing along to music (amped uses songs I have heard of - Yousician bit more hit and miss) - the problem I find with these is they can suddenly take a big leap and you have to practice for a week or so until you can get past that particular bit....

You can't go wrong with Justin justinguitar.com/ or Andy andyguitar.co.uk/ - they are free

I like Fender but some reviews rate guitartricks better

This video explains it better
youtube.com/wat…MWo

Some of these will fit your learning style better than others......
gari18923/05/2020 21:11

guitartricks is similar to Fenderplay (it has video lessons and practice …guitartricks is similar to Fenderplay (it has video lessons and practice sessions along which you progress) but guitrartricks is a great deal more extensive and it probably has a lot more songs. AndyGuitar and Justinguitar do a similar thing to the first two but if using the free videos on website/youtube its not as easily laid out (but still very good and I think both do books as well). Yousician and amped are a bit more fun - they have more playing along to music (amped uses songs I have heard of - Yousician bit more hit and miss) - the problem I find with these is they can suddenly take a big leap and you have to practice for a week or so until you can get past that particular bit....You can't go wrong with Justin https://www.justinguitar.com/ or Andy https://www.andyguitar.co.uk/ - they are freeI like Fender but some reviews rate guitartricks better This video explains it better https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SivakgtJMWo Some of these will fit your learning style better than others......

Wow thanks for all the info. Very in-depth
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions