Lease deals

Found 4th Aug
My very reliable diesel Audi will need to be scrapped or sold prior to ULEZ. it's not worth alot, but it is to me, since spending alot on maintenance.

I've been really interested in one of those new Seat Ateca SUVs. however cannot afford to fork ~£20k. Looked at lease offers or Hire purchase - wondering if these options a complete rip off, as you pay around 4k as deposit then 2yrs of £180+ per month. Then return the car and do it all over again. Who actually has 4k every two years to spend on Cars? I am aware that a new car would take a £5k+ hit, hence I wouldn't purchase a brand new. maybe 6months on part finance.
Community Updates
Ask
22 Comments
It is all about living within your means, if I can not afford it I don't buy it, hence why when I wanted a new car with the benefits of 3 years manufacturers warranty etc I went for a Dacia Sandero £5995 otr as that was the max I could afford, the car I actually would have liked was a skoda Octavia VRS, but did not want to take on any debts or other bills. For me reliability was more important than what the neighbors think. I could have leased an VRS but after 2 years and 6k outlay I would be handing it back now with nothing to show for it, my Dacia still only had 32,000 on the clock and another years warranty, my only outlay has been 2 services and 2 new front tyres at just under £400, I am easily achieving 60mpg and insurance is also only £290 a year fully comp. VRS would have cost me a lot more and be more like 40mpg.
I agree with you. Whilst I understand the benefits of driving a brand new car every two years. Financially its just not effective - most people who go for these deals are on a budget!

I'd rather save up a little and get a loan - at least i own the car outright.
Im also interested in leasing the Ateca DSG
Sandy10124 m ago

Im also interested in leasing the Ateca DSG

I should follow you because i am in love with that car!
Don’t scrap your Audi just sell it to someone who lives outside London
Leasing (PCH) can be a cost-effective way of running a new car. It certainly isn't the cheapest form of motoring by any means, but you wouldn't have to worry about things such as MOT tests or expensive out of warranty repairs like you may do with an older vehicle. However some are put off leasing by what can be high initial payments, and the fact that you have no contractual entitlement to own the vehicle.

Everyone's circumstances are different, it's about finding the right balance of cost vs benefit that suit your circumstances.

HP, PCP and PCH are all different forms of finance and it would be wise to ensure you understand the differences and the financial obligation you'd be taking on by signing up to any of them.

PS - there is no need to put £4k down on a SEAT Ateca. There are far better deals around than that.
Thanks for the details clarification. It's useful to balance opinion on pros and cons. I am yet to find a good deal for the Ateca but certainly keep an eye.
There are often a few lease deals on this site...I don’t fully understand them as, like yourself, I’m confused as to why you’d pay for something you’d never own. I think the key to landing a good deal is to look at how much the car would depreciate in value over the 24/36/48 month period if you were to sell it on having bought it outright. Let’s say you spend £20k and after 2 years the car is worth £13k...if you spend less than £7k on your lease over 2 years then you’re quids in.
If you are able to maintain and service your car a used model would be much more affordable and well within your compass to maintain it and deal with any problems that come along .

Car Leases (non business) are only really for those who wish to pose in a car well above their affordability level and who don't know the oil filler cap from the drinks holder
I agree with your first point and partially to your second. I do think alot more people these days who actually can afford to buy the car, choose to lease because of the benefits of hassle free motoring it offers and new car every 2/3 years etc
rogparki42 m ago

If you are able to maintain and service your car a used model would be …If you are able to maintain and service your car a used model would be much more affordable and well within your compass to maintain it and deal with any problems that come along .Car Leases (non business) are only really for those who wish to pose in a car well above their affordability level and who don't know the oil filler cap from the drinks holder

rogparki1 h, 10 m ago

If you are able to maintain and service your car a used model would be …If you are able to maintain and service your car a used model would be much more affordable and well within your compass to maintain it and deal with any problems that come along .Car Leases (non business) are only really for those who wish to pose in a car well above their affordability level and who don't know the oil filler cap from the drinks holder

Or lease as you will pay less than the depreciation when buying a new car.
Edited by: "alankfc02" 4th Aug
There are far better deals out there. I always pay 3 months rental as the deposit. Leased (April 2018) a Mini Cooper S 2.0l petrol, 36 months, 10,000 miles per annum with FULL maintenance pack (includes tyres, servicing etc) - £240/month with 3 months deposit (£720). GAP insurance £150 for full 3 years. Just add fuel and personal insurance
rogparki1 h, 38 m ago

Car Leases (non business) are only really for those who wish to pose in a …Car Leases (non business) are only really for those who wish to pose in a car well above their affordability level and who don't know the oil filler cap from the drinks holder

Utter tosh
Guzzle1 h, 16 m ago

Utter tosh

And where is the oil filler cap ?
I have taken out PCP on a new car having always previously owned cars. I do about 18-20k a year so cars don’t last long for me before they run into problems. My PCP deal was for 0% interest so cheaper than a loan, the purchase price was cheaper than buying a 1 year old car (same model), I’d normally buy a 1 year old car.

With PCP (as it’s normally for 2-3years) your paying for depreciation which as anyone who buys a new car knows happens to depreciate most within those first few years.

What it gives you though is a new vehicle which is trouble free, safe and usually more economical than older models. Sure it probably costs a little more but if your a high mileage user it’s worthwhile to consider, for low mileage it really isn’t worth it!
My mortgage is less than most car leases.

Just drive old reliable grandad cars, and save money for beer and holidays and the luxury of buying what you want when you want because you have savings.
MonkeysUncle28 m ago

My mortgage is less than most car leases. Just drive old reliable grandad …My mortgage is less than most car leases. Just drive old reliable grandad cars, and save money for beer and holidays and the luxury of buying what you want when you want because you have savings.

I meant to say I only have a focus nothing too expensive.
SOUTHWALES8 h, 28 m ago

It is all about living within your means, if I can not afford it I don't …It is all about living within your means, if I can not afford it I don't buy it, hence why when I wanted a new car with the benefits of 3 years manufacturers warranty etc I went for a Dacia Sandero £5995 otr as that was the max I could afford, the car I actually would have liked was a skoda Octavia VRS, but did not want to take on any debts or other bills. For me reliability was more important than what the neighbors think. I could have leased an VRS but after 2 years and 6k outlay I would be handing it back now with nothing to show for it, my Dacia still only had 32,000 on the clock and another years warranty, my only outlay has been 2 services and 2 new front tyres at just under £400, I am easily achieving 60mpg and insurance is also only £290 a year fully comp. VRS would have cost me a lot more and be more like 40mpg.

I think most people would have gone for the VRS due to a better ride, better interior, nicer place to be for those 32,000 miles etc, but in your case it wasn't worth the extra outlay, that doesn't mean that those who chose the other option are purely doing it to impress the neighbours though.
I am diy mechanic, I like fixing my cars. Lease is out of question for me as you don't own the car.
Leasing is all about the deals when they drop, It was a no brainer when the wife wanted a Golf R and it was on offer at 180 a month.

I aint so bothered and am happy to tool about in my old car, which currently is going up in value and doesnt owe me anything. Although I have zero mechanical nous and trust the work to a local indy.
Get a hybrid?
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions