Expired

Leave TalkTalk contract early without penalty due to October price increases

Found 20th Aug 2013
Received an email today from TalkTalk advising that they are putting their prices up in October.
Because of this price rise TalkTalk customers who are in-contract may leave within 30 days without penalty. Unsure if they would request back the YouView box or router too.

We started our 18 month contract in March and now happy we can move to Virgin as the prices are a bit lower, coupled with 60 meg broadband instead of TalkTalk's 35meg fiber (which actually tops out at 15-20meg during most of the day/evening.

Handy for anyone else wanting to move away from TalkTalk without penalty.

Details of the email below:

Dear MR XXXXXX XXXXXX,

These days most homes are doing more online – working, streaming, Skyping, downloading and staying in touch. So this summer, we’re upgrading to stay ahead of the game. And we’re making some commitments - better broadband at low prices.

Faster, better broadband

Behind the scenes we're working to make your broadband faster, safer and more reliable. With us, you get:

• Totally Unlimited Broadband. Be online as much as you like. We're the only provider to deliver
totally unlimited broadband on all our packages, no caps, no extra charges.
• Britain’s safest connection. Our HomeSafe® protection comes as part of the package. We help stop
viruses before they get anywhere near your home, and protect your children from inappropriate
content.

An increase to some of our prices

To bring you improvements and new services we occasionally need to put up our prices. Please note, If you have a special offer at the moment, it’s still valid*

We’re changing our prices from October 2013:

• Your line rental will be £15.40 a month from your October bill. This is still cheaper than BT.
• Any calls you make outside your bundle will be slightly higher from 1st October 2013. Find all
the details at talktalk.co.uk/cal…ces

If the changes significantly impact your bill, you have the right to cancel your contract without penalty within 30 days of receiving this notification.

Thanks for being a TalkTalk customer.

Yours sincerely,

Nigel Pearson
Nigel Pearson
Senior Director, Customer Services
Community Updates
18 Comments
Nice to see Nigel has a fall-back option for a career in case Leicester give him the boot again.
vfxuk

why has this been sidelined without being given the chance to earn heat? … why has this been sidelined without being given the chance to earn heat? It's a cracking offer from talktalk to release people from contract...

It isn't a deal.
I mentioned the EE deal which has £105 topcashback and is £2.50 per month for broadband, £11 for linerental when paid up front.

The talktalk guy said he could beat any offer.
I said I didn't think he could.

Anyway, to cut a long story short. I've agreed to:
£1.25 a month broadband
9 months of line rental (that I've already paid for).
3 months free line rental when the above pre payment ends.
£100 credit to my bill.

I said yes!

The only dodgy part is that he would only put £50 on today and I need to call back tomorrow for the next £50.
If he refuses I'll just cancel. Call should be recorded anyway I would have thought and I was very clear in describing what I was agreeing to.
They gave me about £200 of free stuff plus free anytime international calls to 16 countries (my wife makes about 20 hours of international calls a month so this helps).
I got an email from talktalk the only increase that was mention was for out of allowance charges for local rate nimbers and 08 numbers
Talk talk, good with food.
So what do I do to either cut a deal with them or get out of contract early?
daturastorm

So what do I do to either cut a deal with them or get out of contract … So what do I do to either cut a deal with them or get out of contract early?

Doing a deal with them is like selling your soul to the devil, Oh wait you already have..!!! Luckily the new contract could offer you a way out :).!!!
shauneco

Doing a deal with them is like selling your soul to the devil, Oh wait … Doing a deal with them is like selling your soul to the devil, Oh wait you already have..!!! Luckily the new contract could offer you a way out :).!!!

but they are still cheaper than BT and possibly anywhere else?
daturastorm

I'd personally rather pay a little extra for a reliable service than give anything to one the UK's consistently worse voted company etc.. I'd avoid BT too.
daturastorm

I called Sky today for a price. They offered my ADSL broadband unlimited free for 12 months with £14.50 Line rental (Weekend calls) or £19.50 unlimited anytime calls!

EDIT: Just realized Sky are offering free broadband to Sports customers (which I am). Probably why I was offered it.

Edited by: "ryanh898" 29th Aug 2013
just phoned talktalk telling them i was leaving them, they told me i would have to pay 15.50 for each month of the left in the contract: confused any I advice would be greatfull for.

Line rental increase 1st october: So i thought i could leave them within a 30 day period !
Aslo they have my last name wrong on the contract: would this also void ?
mightyvodka

just phoned talktalk telling them i was leaving them, they told me i … just phoned talktalk telling them i was leaving them, they told me i would have to pay 15.50 for each month of the left in the contract: confused any I advice would be greatfull for. Line rental increase 1st october: So i thought i could leave them within a 30 day period !Aslo they have my last name wrong on the contract: would this also void ?

I think they said you have 30 days upon receiving the letter/email of the price increase. No idea about the name thing though
I was originally with talk talk for 18 months for my son in a rented house. He asked me in february if he could have the tv box as it was free. When I phoned them today to say I would not be renewing my original 18 month contract they told me a new 24 contract had been issued; I was horrified to learn my son had agreed to this without my permission and they want £450 to cancel HELP PLEASE
Hi, just looked on our account we have now had this increase, but we did not receive an email regarding this, is there anything that can be done?
I want to cancel my contract with TalkTalk. I never received an email about price rise in October.
When I asked them about cancelling they said I would have to pay the cancelation fee. I've had nothing but trouble with them. Firstly, I am having trouble with the superfast broadband. IT IS NOT SUPERFAST. Secondly, I'm having trouble with players, they keep buffering. Thirdly, When I want to watch a film on demand, I have to reset the youview box. Told them it was faulty. said I would have to pay for an engineer to come out.
Has anybody else had these problems? I'm fed up with it.
shadowmads

I want to cancel my contract with TalkTalk. I never received an email … I want to cancel my contract with TalkTalk. I never received an email about price rise in October.When I asked them about cancelling they said I would have to pay the cancelation fee. I've had nothing but trouble with them. Firstly, I am having trouble with the superfast broadband. IT IS NOT SUPERFAST. Secondly, I'm having trouble with players, they keep buffering. Thirdly, When I want to watch a film on demand, I have to reset the youview box. Told them it was faulty. said I would have to pay for an engineer to come out. Has anybody else had these problems? I'm fed up with it.

I have ive cancelled due to the fact since i had trouble with them since day one now i have a bill for £416.95
Take a look at Utility Warehouse. They are Which? recommended. Getting out of a contract because conditions have changed isn't an offer, it's the law.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants