Leaving a new freezer to stand...

Found 30th Dec 2012
Curious. I'm aware that you must leave a freezer to stand for between 2-24 hours after transportation to let the fluids return to the compressor, what what exactly happens if you don't?

To those with a knowledge of such things, would it:

a) Just not work efficiently until it has stood for that time
b) Actually damage the compressor

Thanks.
Community Updates
12 Comments
Blows up.
Google down for maintenance?
b it will short their working life
You'll have the knowledge too if you use it without letting it settle.
Predikuesi

You'll have the knowledge too if you use it without letting it settle.

I like your style.
The oil will flow out of the compressor through the suction line and toward the evaporator coil. Therefore, after transportation and manoeuvring into your home you should the allow it to stand upright for 24 hours before plugging it in, so the oil can return to the compressor.

Edited by: "Mark2111" 30th Dec 2012
Most pumps of any design use the actual fluids that they move as a from of lubricant. If the cooling liquids aren't in the compressor it can overheat and/or run too fast, both of which can cause undue wear and damage.
Edited by: "Oneday77" 30th Dec 2012
Mark2111

The oil will flow out of the compressor through the suction line and … The oil will flow out of the compressor through the suction line and toward the evaporator coil. Therefore, after transportation and manoeuvring into your home you should the allow it to stand upright for 24 hours before plugging it in, so the oil can return to the compressor.

The manual for mine says 4 hours, but I've read others that say 2.
At last 2 proper / useful comments, i've learn't somthing useful now, hmmmmm does that make me a techo now??
IWOOTN

At last 2 proper / useful comments, i've learn't somthing useful now, … At last 2 proper / useful comments, i've learn't somthing useful now, hmmmmm does that make me a techo now??

Defo a misc expert. Maybe there should be a special badge
yellowputty

The manual for mine says 4 hours, but I've read others that say 2.

Bosch recommend 30 mins, so I guess it varies between manufacturers and specific models.
If you dont need to use it straight away, leave it 24 hours before plugging in and you wont go wrong.
If you've paid good money for something, why be in a rush to plug it in too soon and risk causing lasting damage?

Leave it as long as you can, 24 hours is nothing really in terms of the many years you will hopefully get from it.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions