Leaving BT for Sky Questions

Found 19th Nov 2017
Hi, so I have Sky TV and I was thinking of placing an order online for Fibre and phone, but I had a few questions first...

- I have BT Infinity 2 at the moment... some days I get 70mbps, some days I get 50mbps. I use my connection mainly for gaming and streaming. Would Fibre Unlimited at 40mbps be just as good for what I need it for? I don't want to pay the extra each month and only get like an average of 15mbp more if I don't need it.

- My BT speeds like above, are not consistent - i.e. I don't always get the 70mbps speeds I'm getting this morning. Is there anyone that's left BT for Sky seen improvements or drastic differences in speed variations?

- Do you still get the new Sky Q Hub with standard Fibre Unlimited, or is it the old unreliale hub you get with that one?

- How does the Sky Hub perform wirelessly?

- Are Sky likely to have a black friday offer on Fibre next week before I suddenly put my order in with them?

Thanks so much

1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
9 Comments

My speed with sky is a pretty much rock solid 36mb. I have no issues even with multiple consoles gaming online at the same time or simultaneous streaming going on. No traffic management, no throttling etc
I have the older hub, no problem with it, I have been offered the new version 3 but didn't feel the need to upgrade to the higher speed it came with.
Sky will defo have a Black Friday deal.
For an idea price, I've just renegotiated my deal, I pay a net £16.66 a month for fibre unlimited and a phone line (customer for 2 years, I know you will be a new customer and won't get that deal but it gives you an idea/aim)

Original Poster

INDUSTRYHATER3 m ago

My speed with sky is a pretty much rock solid 36mb. I have no issues even …My speed with sky is a pretty much rock solid 36mb. I have no issues even with multiple consoles gaming online at the same time or simultaneous streaming going on. No traffic management, no throttling etc I have the older hub, no problem with it, I have been offered the new version 3 but didn't feel the need to upgrade to the higher speed it came with. Sky will defo have a Black Friday deal.For an idea price, I've just renegotiated my deal, I pay a net £16.66 a month for fibre unlimited and a phone line (customer for 2 years, I know you will be a new customer and won't get that deal but it gives you an idea/aim)

I dunno, I'm not sure they'll have any offers as they have their black Friday deals now live

My sky was horrendous so left for bt
Left bt for talktalk
Talktalk was horrendous so left for bt again
I've stuck with BT as "for me" they are the best provider for years now
More expensive but I get a rock solid 70mb plus all the time
ATM it's 78mb
Good luck with sky

superfreddy6 m ago

I dunno, I'm not sure they'll have any offers as they have their black …I dunno, I'm not sure they'll have any offers as they have their black Friday deals now live

They have fibre unlimited for £25 + £50 MasterCard + £60 quidco - doesn't seem too bad.
Have you considered Vodafone broadband? They have same speed for £20 or the faster speed (think it's 70mb) for £25

Personally, without sounding like a sky fanboy/employee etc I preferred to stay with sky (after having a nightmare with virgin) as for 2 years it was perfect for me.

Original Poster

INDUSTRYHATER15 m ago

They have fibre unlimited for £25 + £50 MasterCard + £60 quidco - doesn't …They have fibre unlimited for £25 + £50 MasterCard + £60 quidco - doesn't seem too bad.Have you considered Vodafone broadband? They have same speed for £20 or the faster speed (think it's 70mb) for £25Personally, without sounding like a sky fanboy/employee etc I preferred to stay with sky (after having a nightmare with virgin) as for 2 years it was perfect for me.

That's for new customers though. My partner has TV in her name. If I add fibre to it, I get the £80 topcashback but have to pay £20 activation and delivery.

Maybe have it separate?

I think the answer to all the good/bad reviews for all suppliers is...........some get good results and some get bad, I have been with various suppliers over the years and some had issues, mostly minor but in the main I switched for price, you just need to go with the one that gives you what you want for the price you are prepared to pay. If you are unlucky and get issues you can always leave ( 14 day cool off ) and if after that period then it would be for not supplying what they are meant to.

Bradleigh17 m ago

My sky was horrendous so left for btLeft bt for talktalkTalktalk was …My sky was horrendous so left for btLeft bt for talktalkTalktalk was horrendous so left for bt againI've stuck with BT as "for me" they are the best provider for years nowMore expensive but I get a rock solid 70mb plus all the timeATM it's 78mbGood luck with sky

I think the whole thing is luck of the draw, a lot of people swear by Virgin but it was oversubscribed in my area and super super slow.
It maybe worth the OP checking what speeds his neighbours get with their providers. It sounds to me that with BT his minimum speed was 50mb which sounds fine to me. If dropped below that then I'd be concerned.

OP, are you leaving BT due to price or due to speeds? What's you current guaranteed minimum speed?

Original Poster

INDUSTRYHATER3 m ago

I think the whole thing is luck of the draw, a lot of people swear by …I think the whole thing is luck of the draw, a lot of people swear by Virgin but it was oversubscribed in my area and super super slow. It maybe worth the OP checking what speeds his neighbours get with their providers. It sounds to me that with BT his minimum speed was 50mb which sounds fine to me. If dropped below that then I'd be concerned.OP, are you leaving BT due to price or due to speeds? What's you current guaranteed minimum speed?

Price mainly. My guaranteed speed is 55mbps but like I said I am getting 70mbps a lot of the time, but do I really need it that quick if 38mbps is good?

Sky said I can get 39mbps - 40mbps when I did a check.

Original Poster

Is it likely sky will do a black Friday deal on fibre and phone?
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions