Leaving BT to Virgin Media

So I am leaving BT for Virgin and I just wanted to ask if we actually needed to call BT and let them know we are cancelling as all I did so far is order from virgin and next day got this email from BT

Dear XXXXX

Another service provider has told us you want to move your phone line and broadband over to them on 21-Feb-2017. So we're taking this as notice that you want to stop these services with us on that date.

If that's not right, or you've changed your mind, please get in touch with us on 0800 345 7311 as soon as you can. The sooner you call us the easier it is to change things. If we don't hear from you by 2pm on 17-Feb-2017, your services will automatically be moved on 21-Feb-2017.
When you leave BT

We'll send you a final bill with the amount you need to pay. It'll include charges for the services you have with us, up to and including 21-Feb-2017. We'll take this payment in the same way we took your previous payments. So, if you've been paying by Direct Debit or Monthly Payment Plan, please don't cancel it until we've taken your final payment. This means the credit or debit balance you have can go towards your final bill, and you'll get any refund due to you faster by Direct Debit than cheque.
Charges for ending your contract early

You won't have to pay any charges for ending your contract.
Charge for stopping your broadband

You'll need to pay a £31.00 charge for us to stop your broadband.

10 Comments

I've just left BT recently to go to Virgin and got exactly the same email.
I did call BT a few weeks before leaving just to confirm what I had received was correct and did I need to let them know , was informed that I did not need to do anything else.
On the day I was moving to Virgin BT broadband stopped on that morning and the phone line was switched over when Virgin tech who was installing the system switched my number over.
It was easier to actually leave BT than it was to get them to do anything else over the past 18 years

You don't need to do amything. Virgin have already let them know on your behalf. Charges should be minimal considering your in the last month of your contract. Curious to what the £30 charge for stopping the broadband is, considering it was due to stop that month anyhow. For anybody wanting to avoid that charge it's probably better waiting until your contract ends.

Anyhow welcome to better broadband.

tommy6000009

You don't need to do amything. Virgin have already let them know on your … You don't need to do amything. Virgin have already let them know on your behalf. Charges should be minimal considering your in the last month of your contract. Curious to what the £30 charge for stopping the broadband is, considering it was due to stop that month anyhow. For anybody wanting to avoid that charge it's probably better waiting until your contract ends. Anyhow welcome to better broadband.

​£30 charge is for openreach to disconnect your line from their modem at the exchange. Just another way of openreach making a quick profit before you leave.

I'm a sky engineer and I visit people every day that are switching from BT and most of them get phantom charges and told that they are still in contract even though theirs ended months/years prior

I was just thinking why is there a £31 charge to stop BB?

I'm assuming you're out of contract so why a charge?

Think you should question that. ....

Kenp8257

I was just thinking why is there a £31 charge to stop BB?I'm assuming … I was just thinking why is there a £31 charge to stop BB?I'm assuming you're out of contract so why a charge? Think you should question that. ....

​It's in the t&c, you don't pay it if you swap between providers on the same network i.e. sky, takk talk, plus net, BT etc that use openreach. Virgin use the own fibre network so you get stung by openreach when you stop using their network. It's probably to subsidise new customers installation costs.

anonimousse

I was aware of the penalty if switching to a cable provider. Although, … I was aware of the penalty if switching to a cable provider. Although, the upcoming BT price rise for Broadband allows you to terminate the service and go to another BT (Wholesale) ISP. However, the T&C's [clause 10(b)(c)(d) & 13(d)] seem a bit vague with regards to £31 cease charge being applicable in the same scenario.

Try phoning Virgin - go through to cancellations expressing doubt as you have a cancellation charge with BT....

Virgin won't want to lose you and may credit you the cancellation charge. .....

I misunderstood. ...

I don't know the answer - but the charge does seem rather suspect. ....

And strange the price increase allows you to terminate if you go via another BT ISP.... but not cable. ....

I would question the charge if it were me. ....

www.bt.com/ceasecharge

The Broadband Cease Charge is a compensatory charge raised in certain … The Broadband Cease Charge is a compensatory charge raised in certain circumstances to cover the additional cost to BT of the work required within an exchange to recover equipment and amend records when a Broadband line is ceased.When will the charge be raised?This charge will be raised should you: Switch to a Cable provider Switch to another Broadband provider without following the standard transfer process* Cease your Broadband completely Cease your Broadband and move outside of the UKWhen won't the charge be raised?This charge will not be raised should you: Live in an exchange area with no cease charges (use the checker to see this) Move home and you re-connect to BT Broadband via the homemover process Move home and we are unable to provide the service at your new UK address You are ceasing service due to bereavement or severe illnessHow much will I be charged?The cease charge is £31 and will be added to your final bill.See your full Broadband Terms and Conditions

Just left BT and got the compulsory disconnection charge too.
You need to tell Virgin whether you want to port your existing tel no across. Also verify its been done at BT too to be safe.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. sky q is it a good deal?55
    2. Speccing a gaming pc37
    3. help: windows 10 wifi issue55
    4. Best IPTV Paid service?1721

See more discussions