Leaving BT tomorrow for phone and broadband - will I loose my @btinternet.com email address?

Found 19th Dec 2012
I'm leaving BT tomorrow and moving line rental and broadband. I have a btinternet.com email address (but logs in on yahoo) - will this now be lost?

Thanks in advance.
Community Updates
MiscBroadbandiPhonePhones
31 Comments
lol.
would imagine you would this is why you should have j a yahoo or hotmail email address saves this type of bother when you switch providers.
Yes you will it will close down at some point but I think you can keep it but there i a charge for this, unless things have changed.
You will not lose this email address. As BT use Yahoo for their email addresses.

You will not loose it straight away, but loose it you will.
SmokeyBandit

You will not lose this email address. As BT use Yahoo for their email … You will not lose this email address. As BT use Yahoo for their email addresses.

wat?
jamstaruk1972

would imagine you would this is why you should have j a yahoo or hotmail … would imagine you would this is why you should have j a yahoo or hotmail email address saves this type of bother when you switch providers.

Dont bother with hotmail as it's on he way out,(to be replaced by outlook) ether get an outlook one or gmail.
kunyk

wat?

read. self explanatory
i moved from bt 8 years ago and still use it as my primary email address
my husband has a bt email and we were with orange so no i dont think you will
SmokeyBandit

read. self explanatory

you = fail

What happens to my @btinternet email account when I stop having BT Broadband?

When you stop your BT Broadband service your email account is downgraded to a Pay-as-you-go or Basic email service. You'll be able to access your email account for up to 90 days from the date your BT Broadband service stops.
You won't be charged for the email account, but to continue to use it after 90 days you'll need to upgrade it to a Premium Mail account.
kunyk

you = failWhat happens to my @btinternet email account when I stop having … you = failWhat happens to my @btinternet email account when I stop having BT Broadband?When you stop your BT Broadband service your email account is downgraded to a Pay-as-you-go or Basic email service. You'll be able to access your email account for up to 90 days from the date your BT Broadband service stops.You won't be charged for the email account, but to continue to use it after 90 days you'll need to upgrade it to a Premium Mail account.

lol your the fail copy and paste from bt website haha. Login through btinternet.com = wont work after 90 days maybe.

through: yahoo.co.uk = works

SmokeyBandit

lol your the fail copy and paste from bt website haha. Login through … lol your the fail copy and paste from bt website haha. Login through btinternet.com = wont work after 90 days maybe.through: yahoo.co.uk = works

My level of trust in what you're saying is exactly 0.

btw. it's you're not your.
no problem. learn more about things than copy and paste from websites. you may learn something one day. Maybe

also trust doesn't come into it haha. I work for an ISP so i know
SmokeyBandit

no problem. learn more about things than copy and paste from websites. … no problem. learn more about things than copy and paste from websites. you may learn something one day. Maybealso trust doesn't come into it haha. I work for an ISP so i know

I have always logged in via yahoo so this should continue to work then? Is so happy days and no panic for tonight
nicoleisapayne

I have always logged in via yahoo so this should continue to work then? … I have always logged in via yahoo so this should continue to work then? Is so happy days and no panic for tonight

yep it will work fine. it may not login via btinternet page after 90days of account closure but will work via yahoo website with no problems.
SmokeyBandit

Top banana and thank you :pyep it will work fine. it may not login via … Top banana and thank you :pyep it will work fine. it may not login via btinternet page after 90days of account closure but will work via yahoo website with no problems.

I left BT about 6 years ago and it's still my main e-mail address, assuming it's because BT now own yahoo?
littlerascalz

I left BT about 6 years ago and it's still my main e-mail address, … I left BT about 6 years ago and it's still my main e-mail address, assuming it's because BT now own yahoo?

Got a letter from them confirming my leaving date and stating I would loose the email address unless I stayed with them. This just adds to my reasons to leave.
nicoleisapayne

Got a letter from them confirming my leaving date and stating I would … Got a letter from them confirming my leaving date and stating I would loose the email address unless I stayed with them. This just adds to my reasons to leave.

They told me I'd lose mine too and wanted £1.49 a month to keep it which I stupidly paid for a few months as I would have had a mental breakdown changing my e-mail addy on every site I've ever registered with. I cancelled the DD and never heard anything from them since, that was about 2 years ago
I cancelled my BT Broadband years ago and still kept the email address logging in via Yahoo. Bonus is that my Flickr premium account continues to renew each year without paying a penny ;-)
You need to let BT know that you would like to retain your email address before the end of your contract, in many cases they will let you keep it.
mikkeltaylor

I cancelled my BT Broadband years ago and still kept the email address … I cancelled my BT Broadband years ago and still kept the email address logging in via Yahoo. Bonus is that my Flickr premium account continues to renew each year without paying a penny ;-)

Exactly the same with me. Still use my btinternet address as main address even though I left them at least 4 years ago.
I left bt around four years ago and was allowed to use it free for ninety days then it got cut off.

I had the option to pay to upgrade to keep it but I never got around to doing it, so one day I just couldn't log in.

I'm curious about this yahoo thing though. Where do I go to login with my old bt email, as I'd like to see if I got any emails that I never knew about since it closed.
Think you lose the ability to send emails from your bt email address but you can still receive them.
Found the link but it wouldn't accept my email, so it's well and truly closed forever.
I moved to sky from btinternet 2 years ago and can still access my @btinternet email with my old email add and password. My parents left them last year and still has access. BT said I would have to pay to keep it but I don't and still can. I have now set up my Gmail account to auto forward emails from BT and sky to Gmail so I only need to check one email account for all my emails
My @btinternet email still works some 3 or 4 years after leaving them. They used to downgrade you to basic email (ie not pop3 or imap) but not sure that happens now.
kunyk

lol.

kunyk

wat?

kunyk

you = failWhat happens to my @btinternet email account when I stop having … you = failWhat happens to my @btinternet email account when I stop having BT Broadband?When you stop your BT Broadband service your email account is downgraded to a Pay-as-you-go or Basic email service. You'll be able to access your email account for up to 90 days from the date your BT Broadband service stops.You won't be charged for the email account, but to continue to use it after 90 days you'll need to upgrade it to a Premium Mail account.

kunyk

kunyk

My level of trust in what you're saying is exactly 0.btw. it's you're not … My level of trust in what you're saying is exactly 0.btw. it's you're not your.

Isn't he a delightful chap?
Just read an email that I got from BT earlier today

You can still use your BT email account
So that you can still send and receive emails using your BT email address, we'll downgrade your account to our Pay-as-you-go dial-up service. Your email address stays the same. This service is subject to the standard terms and conditions at bt.yahoo.com/terms. You'll need to dial up using our Pay-as-you-go dialler at least once in the next 60 days - and every 90 days after that. If you don't, we'll automatically close the account.

Does anyone know what the pay as you dialler service is?
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants