Groups

Leaving present / gift?

On Wednesday of this week I found out that my one and only colleague was due to leave work for another job. Normally 4 weeks notice is required, but an opportunity arose for my mate which meant he had to leave Friday (tomorrow) lunchtime. So, things have been very chaotic. Yesterday I managed to get him a card, and today I have been getting it signed by neighbouring departments. I also decided to get a collection going today, but not everyone could put in today, so they've said they will put in tomorrow instead. Would it be a good idea to try and get him something and give it to him the next time I see him (as we are mates I will see him within a week I imagine)? Or would just giving him all the money suffice, so he could buy owt he wanted? Is that a done thing nowadays?

19 Comments

get him a voucher so he can get something to keep because chances are he will just spend it on rubbish

Original Poster

Yeah thats also something I thought about too.

if your mates, go on a **** up with it together :-)

Original Poster

intenso100;2058657

if your mates, go on a **** up with it together :-)

:-D lol, we're doing that anyway, but I'd rather he spent the ££ on something that he won't p*55 up against the wall. Something he can look at in a few years time that will remind him of his 6 years working with me.

crazygoog;2058691

:-D lol, we're doing that anyway, but I'd rather he spent the ££ on s … :-D lol, we're doing that anyway, but I'd rather he spent the ££ on something that he won't p*55 up against the wall. Something he can look at in a few years time that will remind him of his 6 years working with me.

Well if your m8s he will see you anyway, prob want to forget the 6 years anyway:p, how about a stripper for the night u go out and take a photo

vicknanth;2058614

get him a voucher so he can get something to keep because chances are he … get him a voucher so he can get something to keep because chances are he will just spend it on rubbish

I hate getting vouchers as gifts. Why would anyone want a voucher that they can only spend in a certain shop, when for the same price they could have cash which they could spend it ANY shop.

I have never understood people who buy gift vouchers as presents.

Original Poster

intenso100;2058709

Well if your m8s he will see you anyway, prob want to forget the 6 years … Well if your m8s he will see you anyway, prob want to forget the 6 years anyway:p, how about a stripper for the night u go out and take a photo

Well it is an option I suppose......

I'd get them something which is a joke type present...
    My boyfriends work colleague left so they got him a grand design's dvd...
    they're architects.. not exactly 'jokey' but it has relevance...

a gift voucher is pretty naff tbh :oops:

hope this helps
    x

Original Poster

Thanks all so far.

So nobody thinks giving the money would be a good idea then?

crazygoog;2059094

Thanks all so far.So nobody thinks giving the money would be a good idea … Thanks all so far.So nobody thinks giving the money would be a good idea then?

dunno, depends on how much u collect, how old is he roughly and what work do u do just for an idea for a gift

Original Poster

He's 43 and we are both storekeepers at the local hospital, but he is leaving to become a forklift instructor.

does he like the young ones like you seem too?i guess a dvd/book (which u have chosen so better than a voucher)whisky etc and some sort of novelty gift (blow up doll ? ) is all i can think off sorry

Original Poster

Although I am 15 years younger than him I think he does like The Young Ones. The blow up doll would be really funny!

Thanks for the thought!

A gift voucher for somewhere...

voucher for a shop he likes or give him the money!!

i'd give him the cash, particularly as he knows it's short notice, he'll be grateful you've had the collection - could be a while before he sees any wages from old or new jobs!

Get him a stripper to come into work...

ha ha!!!

Original Poster

Just to let you all know we thought it best to give him the cash - especially seeing as it was such short notice. He was delighted - didn't expect anything at all. Says he's gonna buy the Laurel & Hardy collection for about £50 and class that as his gift, something to look back upon in the future to remind him of us.

I'm extremely gutted to see him go.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Surprise! The HUKD Summer Flamedeer Hunt 2017 **OFFICIAL THREAD** (trading …4552123
      2. Surprise the Miles136 summer burning caribou comp1122
      3. Back to school: what's your views on your kids uniform and piercing rules e…27120
      4. If you had £50,000 to start a business what would it be ?2546

See more discussions