Leaving Sky - Which Provider has best Broadband Fibre Router?

Posted 6th May 2019
Currently have Sky Q TV, broadband, and talk - although on offers, prices seems to be creeping up so i'm evaluating options.

Tv, looking at our planner we only seem to watch Sky One and Fox, so looks like an entertainment package with Now TV would suit us better, and we have the app on our tv.... just need to look for a compatiable external hard-drive to record.

However, Fibre choice isn't so easy - looked at Now Broadband as comes in cheapest, but worried about reports of the router, especially when we only have a weak/medium wifi signal upstairs with the Sky Q router. Plus on the Now Broadband site is says fibre isn't available to us - probably as we're already with Sky.

But back to main question - the Fibre Router - which fibre provider provides the best router, as simply can't have a worse wifi signal than we currently have?
I'm in no hurry to switch service, so would rather know which provider has the best router, and wait for a deal to appear.

Thanks
Community Updates
Ask
27 Comments
Reasonably sure NowTV BB uses same (but rebranded) router as Sky. What Sky router do you have ATM?
Happy to be corrected, but I believe Sky's latest router model is ER115 powered by an external power wallwart, unlike the preceding Sky router ER110 that looked near-identical but was directly mains powered. I believe the current NowTV router is NR801 also powered by external wallwart, so maybe consider some research on the performance of NR801 and/or ER115.
Now tv and sky have the same garbage router. It's junk and I had to get a repeater and use wired to get a usable service. Not a one off as family had the same, we've all now left. Bt and talk talk have the best routers atm, a fair bit better than anyone else's. Vodafone's is supposed to be bad as well. Plusnet's is the older version of bt's and alright, but you can instead use the latest bt (£10-30 on ebay). Virgin is mixed, it had a crippling bug that I think had a workaround to fix, but generally with them you get fast raw download but slow upload and a fairly unreliable service.
Cheers, my sky q router is figure 8 direct to mains, so ER110 - but looking at the NR801 and the reports of poor wifi signal, it makes sense it is rebranded model similar to what i have already.

I wonder if a router with better wifi signal would be good enough to improve the signal issues we have, or a mesh set-up will be needed. We are a small 2 bed mid-terrace, 19 years old, so thin walls, with router placed in hall, at bottom of stairs, on top of a cabinet, some 7ft high - thus no great distance or solid obstructions in the way.
dcx_badass11 m ago

Now tv and sky have the same garbage router. It's junk and I had to get a …Now tv and sky have the same garbage router. It's junk and I had to get a repeater and use wired to get a usable service. Not a one off as family had the same, we've all now left. Bt and talk talk have the best routers atm, a fair bit better than anyone else's. Vodafone's is supposed to be bad as well. Plusnet's is the older version of bt's and alright, but you can instead use the latest bt (£10-30 on ebay). Virgin is mixed, it had a crippling bug that I think had a workaround to fix, but generally with them you get fast raw download but slow upload and a fairly unreliable service.

Cheers, glad i'm not of the same opinon re: sky router. I took a wired connection from the router situated in the hall, to the tv in bedroom, via the loft to get a decent enough signal to use smart features. As my above comment, the distance isn't far and no think objects in the way - wifi should have been suitable.

I'll earmark BT and TalkTalk - sometimes some good deals come up with BT along with reward cards, and cashback.

Thanks
The fact is, they're all the cheapest junk they can get away with giving you with even worse software half the time. Buy a decent ASUS router and never look back. I have been running mine for almost a year now and only had to reboot it twice and both times were for a firmware update. 5G signal all over the house too. You want reliability and performance, pay for it. Don't rely on any ISP giving your that.
Edited by: "anlygi" 6th May 2019
deleted1080215
How about using Threes unlimited 4G. Use a phone and tether. Take it with you on holiday too.
anlygi06/05/2019 16:52

The fact is, they're all the cheapest junk they can get away with giving …The fact is, they're all the cheapest junk they can get away with giving you with even worse software half the time. Buy a decent ASUS router and never look back. I have been running mine for almost a year now and only had to reboot it twice and both times were for a firmware update. 5G signal all over the house too. You want reliability and performance, pay for it. Don't rely on any ISP giving your that.

Certainly open to the idea of that, though am i correct with providers like Sky you have to stick with the router they provide? Any other providers to avoid that have the same stipulation?
We live out in a village where O2 service is the only useable service for reception, and that's only outdoors, indoors we have to rely on wifi calling.
saintscouple06/05/2019 16:44

Cheers, my sky q router is figure 8 direct to mains, so ER110 - but …Cheers, my sky q router is figure 8 direct to mains, so ER110 - but looking at the NR801 and the reports of poor wifi signal, it makes sense it is rebranded model similar to what i have already.I wonder if a router with better wifi signal would be good enough to improve the signal issues we have, or a mesh set-up will be needed. We are a small 2 bed mid-terrace, 19 years old, so thin walls, with router placed in hall, at bottom of stairs, on top of a cabinet, some 7ft high - thus no great distance or solid obstructions in the way.

Just to be clear: I believe your Sky ER110 is not the same as the current NowTV NR801, but the NR801 may (or may not) have similar wifi performance. Consider NowTVs NR801 hasn't been around all that long (Jan 2018?) so any commnents / previous experiences of earlier possibly poor-performing NowTV router(s) may not apply to the NR801. In general you would need to absolutely confirm that any "it's rubbish" comment applied to the router you would receive from whatever provider you chose and not some previous-generation kit.
Regardless, 3rd party kit is likely to provide better performance - at a price.
I never understand why all the broadband providers routers get so many bad comments. When I took out a new contract with plusnet and subsequently now broadband is was convinced by all the negative comments that the routers would be useless, I am now using the latest Now broadband router receiving avg 29mb fibre and it works with no problems regularly using 5 devices at the same time to stream TV, play online gaming and surf the internet (all wireless). This replaced the plusnet one router which also worked with no problems and before that I was using the BT home hub which also worked with no problems and even longer ago the sky router which also worked.
AndyRoyd06/05/2019 17:09

Just to be clear: I believe your Sky ER110 is not the same as the current …Just to be clear: I believe your Sky ER110 is not the same as the current NowTV NR801, but the NR801 may (or may not) have similar wifi performance. Consider NowTVs NR801 hasn't been around all that long (Jan 2018?) so any commnents / previous experiences of earlier possibly poor-performing NowTV router(s) may not apply to the NR801. In general you would need to absolutely confirm that any "it's rubbish" comment applied to the router you would receive from whatever provider you chose and not some previous-generation kit.Regardless, 3rd party kit is likely to provide better performance - at a price.

Yeah i think... Sky, like Now broadband you have to use their provided routers, so safe bet is go with a provider that supports 3rd party routers. That way i'll have the option if the provided routers wifi signal is inadequate. Thanks for all your advice, much appreciated.
matthews947906/05/2019 17:11

I never understand why all the broadband providers routers get so many …I never understand why all the broadband providers routers get so many bad comments. When I took out a new contract with plusnet and subsequently now broadband is was convinced by all the negative comments that the routers would be useless, I am now using the latest Now broadband router receiving avg 29mb fibre and it works with no problems regularly using 5 devices at the same time to stream TV, play online gaming and surf the internet (all wireless). This replaced the plusnet one router which also worked with no problems and before that I was using the BT home hub which also worked with no problems and even longer ago the sky router which also worked.

I've no problem with the speed coming through, it's the wifi signal that concerns me. My reason for looking to change provider is one of cost, got used to the medium/weak signal - but i need to be prudent i don't end up with worse than i already have. Each persons set-up will be different, each home different - thus experiences will be different. I only moved to this house a couple of years ago, and only had the sky q router, so sadly don't any experience of previous routers here.
You just use the crap router with a set of homeplugs, as all these free routers offer iffy wifi coverage in my opinion.
saintscouple4 m ago

I've no problem with the speed coming through, it's the wifi signal that …I've no problem with the speed coming through, it's the wifi signal that concerns me. My reason for looking to change provider is one of cost, got used to the medium/weak signal - but i need to be prudent i don't end up with worse than i already have. Each persons set-up will be different, each home different - thus experiences will be different. I only moved to this house a couple of years ago, and only had the sky q router, so sadly don't any experience of previous routers here.

I have the n801 Now broadband router and have no problem with the signal.
saintscouple10 m ago

Yeah i think... Sky, like Now broadband you have to use their provided …Yeah i think... Sky, like Now broadband you have to use their provided routers, so safe bet is go with a provider that supports 3rd party routers. That way i'll have the option if the provided routers wifi signal is inadequate. Thanks for all your advice, much appreciated.

Or you could probably the ISPs router in modem-only mode (with wireless disabled) and connect it to your preferred wireless router. That configuration may be preferable to ensure that the ISP will still be obliged to troubleshoot and rectify connection/service issues with its own router, because some ISPs will not support 3rd party routers (but obvsly in that case any wifi issues directly related to your 3rd party kit are your responsibility to resolve).
I picked up 3 x Tenda Nova MW3 Whole Home Mesh and just plugged one into my TalkTalk router and haven’t looked back.
Our EE router is pretty good, we're paying for 38 Mbps and we get around 20 Mbps from the upstairs bedrooms (I play a lot of online Xbox in my bedroom with no issues). Virgin Media, on the other hand, is terrible and requires powerline extenders.
Edited by: "m3racer123" 6th May 2019
slippers19771 h, 36 m ago

I picked up 3 x Tenda Nova MW3 Whole Home Mesh and just plugged one into …I picked up 3 x Tenda Nova MW3 Whole Home Mesh and just plugged one into my TalkTalk router and haven’t looked back.

Thanks, never heard of these before - seen bt home mesh, but price of these seem very resonable in comparrison.
I got the Netgear Orbi RBK50 with one satellite. That completely replaces my Plusnet router and works brilliantly plus have full mesh wifi coverage throughout a three floor stone built house and out in the garden as well.
Mesh network setup is the way to go. Then just go with what provider you want.
saintscouple6 h, 12 m ago

Certainly open to the idea of that, though am i correct with providers …Certainly open to the idea of that, though am i correct with providers like Sky you have to stick with the router they provide? Any other providers to avoid that have the same stipulation?

The T&Cs say you must, but plenty of users use their own router with Sky and NowTV without issue, I've used my own on both. I would strongly advise retaining the supplied router so you can swap to it in the event that you need to contact their support with a line problem as they don't provide support for non sky/nowtv routers.

I'm currently using an old BT hub5a flashed with openwrt on Now fibre. Sky/Now use DHCP for authentication, but the clientid can now be anything, as it is no longer validated.

I believe you should be able to use your sky vdsl router without any changes to the settings on nowtv too.

I only used the nowtv n801 router while waiting for now to take over, its wifi wasn't as good as my BT hub 5a or my BT smart hub version A (wifi on these two BT routers is very good indeed), but was ok. My main reasons for not using the supplied router was only two ethernet ports, only basic configuration options, and being able to run a mesh wifi link and an openvpn server on the bt hub 5a itself.
Edited by: "melted" 6th May 2019
I am currently with NowTv because they supply with 2 port ethernet i am using Sky router!
Spoke to sky this morning about the wifi signal from the Q hub - medium in lounge, weak in bedroom. Their response was i have to pay £79 for a wireless booster!

I think TalkTalk will be my best option, same speed advertised as what i'm getting 70mbps (BT will only got to 55mbps), router is very well reviewed incl wifi range, inclusive calls package includes mobiles, same as what we have.

Just waiting for a good deal on TalkTalk and i'll switch.
I am on TalkTalk with their new ‘Super Router’. To be fair wireless is good throughout our house, even in the bedroom on the third floor. Earlier models they used were variable. But, as others have said, if WiFi quality is your main concern, buy your own router.
That's good to hear Paul,

I live in a modern, small 2 bed house i.e no thick walls all around the place, i think TalkTalk's router will be fine.

I'm currently no further than 10 metres away from the sky router, in direct line of sight, yet only get a medium signal. The signal seems to be getting worse as if the router is dying, but Sky won't entertain the idea that there is a fault, and despite having the same set-up and positioning for 18 months now, with the wifi signal getting worse, and worse, their remedy is for me to pay for a booster! lol
If you have an Android phone there is a utility which tells you which channel all the local signals are on (WiFi analyser, I think). You can then make your router use an unused channel. Hopefully that would improve your signal.
paul123edwards17/05/2019 17:49

If you have an Android phone there is a utility which tells you which …If you have an Android phone there is a utility which tells you which channel all the local signals are on (WiFi analyser, I think). You can then make your router use an unused channel. Hopefully that would improve your signal.

Yeah did try that, but no difference - signal strength still the same.

Latest update i have is I've negotiated a better price for the Sky TV £15 a month for Entertainment with HD and Boxset add-on's.

Once a good deal for TalkTalk comes along i'll switch broadband, unless an amazing deal from Gigaclear comes along!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants