Leaving virgin who should I go to?

Posted 24th Sep
So looks like I'm leaving virgin as they haven't tried ringing me back for retention after a huge price hike. I'm looking to move onto another company which provide TV and broadband. my requirements are as follows..

Broadband medium speed about 30-100mbps
TV with usual channels kids would be benefit
I don't use a phone line

Cheapest and best option please!
Thanks!
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

20 Comments
What have you found so far?
Whatever you do, don't go with Vodafone. I always thought broadband was much of a muchness until I went with them. Superfast fibre and I'm getting 5mb peak times. Customer service is terrible.
sixgoldstars24/09/2019 08:56

Whatever you do, don't go with Vodafone. I always thought broadband was …Whatever you do, don't go with Vodafone. I always thought broadband was much of a muchness until I went with them. Superfast fibre and I'm getting 5mb peak times. Customer service is terrible.

I went to Vodaphone from BT, i am getting the exact same speeds but i did replace the router as the WiFi was shocking on the Voda one they sent.

customer service i agree is terrible but they did provide the logins so i could use my own router when i asked for them.
unfortunately if you want broadband you will no doubt need a phone line as only Virgin offer fibre without a line.

i left Virgin and now just have Netflix and prime as well as free view i found we never watched the usual Sky / Virgin Tv when we had it.

saved us a fair few quid on TV packages...
I go to Martin Lewis's MSE.com as he compares all the deals around and often has a link to one provider that gives you that bit extra or saves you money by getting cashback. I used it last year to get my Virgin deal. He updates this part of the site weekly so it is as current as possible. Hope that helps
sixgoldstars24/09/2019 08:56

Whatever you do, don't go with Vodafone. I always thought broadband was …Whatever you do, don't go with Vodafone. I always thought broadband was much of a muchness until I went with them. Superfast fibre and I'm getting 5mb peak times. Customer service is terrible.

I’ve been with them over a year and get a constant speed of 70mb+...always.
dickypreston24/09/2019 09:16

unfortunately if you want broadband you will no doubt need a phone line as …unfortunately if you want broadband you will no doubt need a phone line as only Virgin offer fibre without a line.i left Virgin and now just have Netflix and prime as well as free view i found we never watched the usual Sky / Virgin Tv when we had it.saved us a fair few quid on TV packages...

All I have is Fibre with Netflix, Prime and Freeplay (something that came with the tv but has all channels on demand) and does the job nicely. We dont have much choice up our area for Interwebs with a choice of BT or TalkTalk. SO Im paying way over the odds for BT but hey, it works and saves us a load instead of BT TV / Sky so cant complain
StonkwellBogtrotter24/09/2019 09:36

I’ve been with them over a year and get a constant speed of 70mb+...always.

Check their forums/Facebook page/broadband choices - there's a massive problem for a large portion of their user base and it's been going on for some time. I had rock steady 36mb on Now broadbands lowest package. Switched to Vodafone and it dropped to 5mb or under at peak times on their 80mb package. Support just try to beat you into submission with nonsensical suggestions - why am I renaming ssids when it's a Lan connection?
Service has been a joke from start to finish.
sixgoldstars24/09/2019 09:46

Check their forums/Facebook page/broadband choices - there's a massive …Check their forums/Facebook page/broadband choices - there's a massive problem for a large portion of their user base and it's been going on for some time. I had rock steady 36mb on Now broadbands lowest package. Switched to Vodafone and it dropped to 5mb or under at peak times on their 80mb package. Support just try to beat you into submission with nonsensical suggestions - why am I renaming ssids when it's a Lan connection?Service has been a joke from start to finish.

I’m only stating what I’ve received and it’s exactly as stated and giving the OP my thoughts.
I left Virginmedia’s 100mb service due to the fact that it was never faster than 50mb.

Horses for courses.
StonkwellBogtrotter24/09/2019 09:49

I’m only stating what I’ve received and it’s exactly as stated and giving t …I’m only stating what I’ve received and it’s exactly as stated and giving the OP my thoughts.I left Virginmedia’s 100mb service due to the fact that it was never faster than 50mb.Horses for courses.

Fair play, but I'd urge anyone thinking of switching to check those channels first. A large number of customers are finding this crippling, unresolvable issue - do you want to take the risk of joining them?
Saturday night, I had 0.86mb download on Lan. Freeserve dialup was about as quick.
I got VM 100MB for £21 a week, no TV or phone line.
I can send you copy of the agreement if that helps you haggle.
Just set up Freeview TV . If you need extra children channels , now TV kids entertainment is very cheap
We couldn’t get virgin in our new place, tried sky with the q box and it didn’t work at all for 2 months. So got all our money back now with talktalk haven’t had any issues with them. They have just upgraded us to faster fibre as our whole road has just been connect to fibre although it’s always been there just not had the green box in the road activated. But I pay £48 and get a phone line that we don’t use, recording box, sky movies, kids channels, entrainment package, faster fibre broadband.
I was in the same boat as you a couple of months ago, Virgin had gone up to £74 for 100mb broadband, TV with an old full house package and an unused phoneline. Rang sky, they said they would do 80mb fibre broadband, TV with HD, boxsets and Kids channels, for £54.
Spoke to virgin cancellations, they offered to price match and give £50 credit to the account, so rang sky to cancel the order, they counter offered with £33 a month plus £50 credit!

It seems the onyl way to get a good deal is to get them to haggle with each other.
I've cancelled virgin had a good package really good actually but we've had major issues with the broadband keeps dropping signal had engineer out wifi boosters new router but still playing, it's nothing to do with us as nothing has changed so there letting me leave early no penalty, so I'm currently looking elsewhere sky, BT, now or even just Freeview but my worry is with the last one is we'll miss what we've always had.... Sport kids movies etc
Come to BT.
Have you checked your marketing preferences on virgin are set up to allow them to call you many were defaulted to no after GDPR.friend left them recently had calls every day for a week
adamderak24/09/2019 10:01

I got VM 100MB for £21 a week, no TV or phone line.I can send you copy of …I got VM 100MB for £21 a week, no TV or phone line.I can send you copy of the agreement if that helps you haggle.Just set up Freeview TV . If you need extra children channels , now TV kids entertainment is very cheap

£21 a week with no TV or phone seems to be the worst deal ever, Maybe you meant £21 a Month!
I just ditched Virgin and was getting 100MB broadband , Phone with unlimited weekend & evening calls for £27 a month as an existing customer deal.
Edited by: "porsche911turbo" 24th Sep
porsche911turbo24/09/2019 12:24

£21 a week with no TV or phone seems to be the worst deal ever, Maybe you …£21 a week with no TV or phone seems to be the worst deal ever, Maybe you meant £21 a Month!

Lol yes! A month
If you really want to save money and have good mobile phone reception where you live I would take out a Smarty unlimited data and calls one month rolling sim deal @ £18.75 a month with no contract.
Buy a 4G router such as the Huawei B525 and connect your landline to it for unlimited calls and unlimited broadband around your house.
A Humax freeview recorder and Fire tv stick will sort the TV side of things.
Edited by: "porsche911turbo" 24th Sep
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants