Leaving VM for Talktalk

Posted 31st Dec 2019
Hi all,
I am looking to move to talk talk from VM due to the cost, has anyone done this? I understand I won't get the internet speeds I get with VM but we are not heavy internet users.
Any advice?
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

Top comments
VM to TalkTalk? Are you syco?
17 Comments
I would love to leave VM due to cost but for me it is so reliable and fast..... I know there are better review pages for talk talk but these reviews would put me off going with them
steve.t31/12/2019 15:19

I would love to leave VM due to cost but for me it is so reliable and …I would love to leave VM due to cost but for me it is so reliable and fast..... I know there are better review pages for talk talk but these reviews would put me off going with them

Yep, same here I was with talk talk and left for vm due to speeds and drop outs, the kids hated it
Edited by: "ding" 31st Dec 2019
Just moved from Talk Talk to Virgin Media 2 months ago.

We were with Talk Talk for 10+ years and when the service worked it did work well. Their abhorrent customer service only showed whenever you actually had to talk to them about a problem with phone/broadband.

The price for Phone, basic TV and Fibre Broadband was ~ £6 a month cheaper with Talk Talk. Because Talk Talk relied on the BT phone cable fibre speeds were limited to ~ 36Mbit vs > 100Mbit on the new Virgin Media cable that has just been put in (Virgin Media only just became available in our area earlier this year).

In my experience you do get what you pay for with Talk Talk. You just have to accept their shortcomings when it comes to customer service.
Edited by: "SUMMONER" 1st Jan
Arto31/12/2019 15:20

It’s like going from steak and chips to a billy bear ham sandwich
Moved from Virgin Media to TalkTalk in September.

Virgin Media wouldn't budge on their price. Went from paying £42.99 a month for 100/10MB/s with basic (basically freeview) TV package to paying £18 a month (after cashback) for 80/20MB/s.

I was very 'on the fence' about joining them but their Fibre is spot on for me, very very happy with it!
it took TalkTalk about 6 weeks to get my line speeds and connection stable

you get a 20 day cooling off period, starting when you order

it will take up to 10 days to get your broadband turned on, so technically you’re looking at 10 days to decide if you’re happy with them

and in those 10 days you won’t be
Aha thanks everyone! It’s mainly the cost I’m paying £40 a month for the basic internet which is 100mbps or something, I will try and speak to virgin and see what they say! Thanks all
Aaronnnn31/12/2019 16:31

Aha thanks everyone! It’s mainly the cost I’m paying £40 a month for the ba …Aha thanks everyone! It’s mainly the cost I’m paying £40 a month for the basic internet which is 100mbps or something, I will try and speak to virgin and see what they say! Thanks all

No tv? Just broadband?
Arto31/12/2019 16:34

No tv? Just broadband?

Yes just broadband so you can understand my issue
my mums paying £50 (or similar) for the highest internet highest
phone and basic tv
Edited by: "Aaronnnn" 31st Dec 2019
Aaronnnn31/12/2019 16:40

I pay £72pm but I get 350mb broadband and every channel except sky movies
Arto31/12/2019 16:40

I pay £72pm but I get 350mb broadband and every channel except sky movies

Aaronnnn31/12/2019 16:40

That’s decent
I will just add my experience to the pile. Been with Talk Talk for MANY years (all through the bad hacking years too) and I can honestly say; aside from the fight come renewal time; I've had nothing but good service. I've been lucky to not get all the issues others suffer I guess but a lot of that can be related to the area/infrastructure/who you speak to etc.

I think it's all luck-of-the-draw really. You may live to regret your decision, OP or you may find them absolutely fine and at a much better price. I think that can be said for ALL the ISP's to be fair.

Good luck with making your choice. I hope it works out for you.

Regards, Phsy.
Phsycronix31/12/2019 18:27

I will just add my experience to the pile. Been with Talk Talk for MANY …I will just add my experience to the pile. Been with Talk Talk for MANY years (all through the bad hacking years too) and I can honestly say; aside from the fight come renewal time; I've had nothing but good service. I've been lucky to not get all the issues others suffer I guess but a lot of that can be related to the area/infrastructure/who you speak to etc.I think it's all luck-of-the-draw really. You may live to regret your decision, OP or you may find them absolutely fine and at a much better price. I think that can be said for ALL the ISP's to be fair.Good luck with making your choice. I hope it works out for you.Regards, Phsy.

Hey thank you for such a detailed comment I do agree with you it’s all luck with the likes or talk talk and sky etc I think it put me off that it’s via phone line but I will look into it and have a think! Thank you once again and have a great New Years!!
Voted worst broadband provider by a wide margin for 8 years in a row

You have been warned
Been with t t a few years now and only stay as i have a rock bottom price because of a cock up but if you have any issue with the service be prepared for a long haul to get anything done. The customer service is dire as are most to be honest if you do have any issues avoid using the online chat at all costs and speak to somebody it is the only way you have any chance of getting anything done.
Used talk talk on and off for 15 years depending on deals. Not had an issue since the first few years when it first launched. Certainly not in the last 10 years and most family are with them no problem. The support forums are good as well if it's not an urgent issue/enquiry).

Had virgin 2-3 times (at diff addresses) and was utter garbage, unreliable crap, wouldn't ever use them again. A friends just left them as well and local groups on Facebook are constantly going on about dropping virgin Internet, sometimes for a day or two. What's the point of a claimed fast speed of its hopelessly unreliable.
Edited by: "dcx_badass" 1st Jan
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants