LED bulb goes off but then goes back on

Found 9th Feb
I have a TCP GU10 LED bulb which states it should last 25 years. I think this is a bit optimistic! I have had it for about a year and it has started to go off so I thought it was broke and was about to replace it, but it then it went back on again.

It has been doing this since yesterday. Is the bulb coming to the end of its life or is the connection faulty?
Community Updates
Ask
29 Comments
Out of 18 led bulbs I have had 3 fail in 2 years.. Replace if you think its duff.. I buy mostly the mini sun brand.. The 4 Philips and 5 lap bulbs are fine so far
Edited by: "wayners" 9th Feb
Yes, it’s coming to the end of its life. I’ve got one like that in my bedroom (out of nine), keep hoping it’s going to make a comeback, just hobbling along with it until it finally fades away
Agreed.... It's dying.
The lifetime is usually quoted based on continuous operation (no off/on powercycles). Lifetime will be reduced by each powercycle. Yes: remove and refit to see if the issue is cleared by fresh connectivity, but if no different after refitting then the item is hinting it is about to completely fail.
Swap it with another bulb, if the same then on its way out; if the other buld starts doing same then a connection problem and yes 25 yrs is a bit optimistic wheras Lifetime only means until it dies, although it would be reasonable to expect it to last several years.
Edited by: "Flynn.Jack" 9th Feb
I don’t know how they can claim that they last 25 years. Surely they didn’t make and switch a few on in a laboratory 30 odd years ago and just stood back and waited.
Original Poster
AndyRoyd1 h, 26 m ago

The lifetime is usually quoted based on continuous operation (no off/on …The lifetime is usually quoted based on continuous operation (no off/on powercycles). Lifetime will be reduced by each powercycle. Yes: remove and refit to see if the issue is cleared by fresh connectivity, but if no different after refitting then the item is hinting it is about to completely fail.

i took it out as it stopped working again this morning, but i thought that i should put it back in to see if the connection is loose and it has worked again.

if it goes out again, i will replace the bulb but keep it for a while rather than chuck it in the bin immediately as i normally do, in case it is not the bulb that is faulty but the connection.
Original Poster
Toptrumpet14 m ago

I don’t know how they can claim that they last 25 years. Surely they d …I don’t know how they can claim that they last 25 years. Surely they didn’t make and switch a few on in a laboratory 30 odd years ago and just stood back and waited.

i am willing to put money on the probability that it wouldn't even last 10 years, let alone 25 years!

they should not be able to make outrageous claims like this on the packaging and really should be reported to trading standards for false advertising.

i could claim against them for a new bulb because they promised it should last 25 years and it has died after only one year.
mutley118 m ago

they promised it should last 25 years

Did they?

And there is a difference between 'should' and 'will' last
Edited by: "tregs" 9th Feb
Original Poster
tregs9 m ago

Did they?And there is a difference between 'should' and 'will' last

making outrageous claims is against trading laws as far as i am aware.

it doesn't matter whether it should or would or could, it should at least be feasible and there is absolutely no way it would last 25 years, even if you just put it in the cupboard and don't use it for 25 years!
mutley11 m ago

making outrageous claims is against trading laws as far as i am aware. it …making outrageous claims is against trading laws as far as i am aware. it doesn't matter whether it should or would or could, it should at least be feasible and there is absolutely no way it would last 25 years, even if you just put it in the cupboard and don't use it for 25 years!

Sue them
Original Poster
tregs2 m ago

Sue them

that takes time that i can't be bothered to waste. i will contact them though to claim against their ridiculous claim if the bulb packs in.
mutley11 m ago

that takes time that i can't be bothered to waste. i will contact them …that takes time that i can't be bothered to waste. i will contact them though to claim against their ridiculous claim if the bulb packs in.

So stop wasting time posting here and get on with it
mutley130 m ago

i am willing to put money on the probability that it wouldn't even last 10 …i am willing to put money on the probability that it wouldn't even last 10 years, let alone 25 years!they should not be able to make outrageous claims like this on the packaging and really should be reported to trading standards for false advertising.i could claim against them for a new bulb because they promised it should last 25 years and it has died after only one year.

Usually 3 yrs / 25000 hrs warranty for TCP LEDs. Probably worth checking the receipt / packaging to see what it actually states rather than working from memory. Random example TCP LED listing on Amazon states states first item of spec as "25,000 hours lifetime, 3 years gurantee" and whilst that spelling is worse than mine, it hardly supports any suggestion of 25 years of TCP "gurantee" amazon.co.uk/dp/…I0C Hey, maybe your LEDs box was folded incorrectly and the text of "25,000 hours lifetime, 3 years gurantee" appeared to be displayed as "25... years gurantee"?
I like your thinking @AndyRoyd , all those underpaid overworked Chinese children being taught creative origami at the same time as packing the bulbs.
I've had no end of problems with LED GU10's.

I used to use Megaman CFL GU10's and they were reliable, but of 13 of their LED GU10's only one or two have lasted more than 1 year. Eight of those are in the hallway (as a 2-set and a six-set), so rarely on at the same time, and all have blown in the last year.
I've just switched brands, so hoping they'll behave better.

Also, as they never blow at the same time, it's a real pain sending them back (and remembering when you bought each one ... though I've started writing company and purchase date on each bulb now). Plus, it's not the vendor's fault but the manufacturer ... so I kinda feel guilty repeatedly going back to the seller.
I can't imagine that chinese unbranded would be any more reliable.

The only reliable ones I've had are the ones I put in the kitchen ... Ecozone BioBulb LED GU10's.

Good luck Mutley1.
Edited by: "Spango" 9th Feb
Original Poster
AndyRoyd1 h, 51 m ago

Usually 3 yrs / 25000 hrs warranty for TCP LEDs. Probably worth checking …Usually 3 yrs / 25000 hrs warranty for TCP LEDs. Probably worth checking the receipt / packaging to see what it actually states rather than working from memory. Random example TCP LED listing on Amazon states states first item of spec as "25,000 hours lifetime, 3 years gurantee" and whilst that spelling is worse than mine, it hardly supports any suggestion of 25 years of TCP "gurantee" https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00K7WLI0C Hey, maybe your LEDs box was folded incorrectly and the text of "25,000 hours lifetime, 3 years gurantee" appeared to be displayed as "25... years gurantee"?

i have no memory so i can not work from memory on anything. i have spares, which is where i saw the 25 years lifetime when i was going to replace the bulb this morning.

it states 25 years lifetime on the front of the box and at the back of the box it re-affirms that the bulb has a lifetime of 25 years on an average use of 3 hours a day. the bulb is in the kitchen, so we probably use it on average 3 hours a day. i still have the receipt some where.

here is a picture of the bulb packaging that i found on the net and a link for sale on amazon, which is no longer available. I bought mine at homebase.

amazon.co.uk/TCP…APE

Original Poster
Spango1 h, 18 m ago

I've had no end of problems with LED GU10's.I used to use Megaman CFL …I've had no end of problems with LED GU10's.I used to use Megaman CFL GU10's and they were reliable, but of 13 of their LED GU10's only one or two have lasted more than 1 year. Eight of those are in the hallway (as a 2-set and a six-set), so rarely on at the same time, and all have blown in the last year. I've just switched brands, so hoping they'll behave better.Also, as they never blow at the same time, it's a real pain sending them back (and remembering when you bought each one ... though I've started writing company and purchase date on each bulb now). Plus, it's not the vendor's fault but the manufacturer ... so I kinda feel guilty repeatedly going back to the seller.I can't imagine that chinese unbranded would be any more reliable.The only reliable ones I've had are the ones I put in the kitchen ... Ecozone BioBulb LED GU10's.Good luck Mutley1.

we have several GU10 bulbs in the kitchen and i find that the LED ones last longer than the non LED ones. the non LED ones last about 6 months at most and they have had it.
mutley114 m ago

i have no memory so i can not work from memory on anything. i have …i have no memory so i can not work from memory on anything. i have spares, which is where i saw the 25 years lifetime when i was going to replace the bulb this morning.it states 25 years lifetime on the front of the box and at the back of the box it re-affirms that the bulb has a lifetime of 25 years on an average use of 3 hours a day. the bulb is in the kitchen, so we probably use it on average 3 hours a day. i still have the receipt some where.here is a picture of the bulb packaging that i found on the net and a link for sale on amazon, which is no longer available. I bought mine at homebase.https://www.amazon.co.uk/TCP-GU10-Halogen-Replacement-Reflector/dp/B00BCJTAPE[Image]

Fair observation. Will def need receipt or other credible indication of purchase date to quantify lack of longevity, although I do not read "lifetime" to equate to "warranty." Also note the Amazon listing states 12500 switching cycles, which for my uses would be about 5.5 years.
mutley118 m ago

we have several GU10 bulbs in the kitchen and i find that the LED ones …we have several GU10 bulbs in the kitchen and i find that the LED ones last longer than the non LED ones. the non LED ones last about 6 months at most and they have had it.

Lucky you!
At least LED oines don't trip the MCB when they die, unlike traditional halogen GU10's!
Original Poster
Spango1 h, 5 m ago

Lucky you! At least LED oines don't trip the MCB when they die, …Lucky you! At least LED oines don't trip the MCB when they die, unlike traditional halogen GU10's!

We used traditional halogen gu10 for many years until LED became cheaper in recent years. When the tradional halogen GU10 goes, i dont get any MCB tripping, so it may be your circuitry.

i have the tradional GU10 bulbs at another property and again the MCB doesnt trip when the bulb goes. You may have an issue with your wiring blowing the bulbs rather than the bulbs dying and tripping the MCB
tregs3 h, 36 m ago

So stop wasting time posting here and get on with it

I so wish he would.
mutley157 m ago

We used traditional halogen gu10 for many years until LED became cheaper …We used traditional halogen gu10 for many years until LED became cheaper in recent years. When the tradional halogen GU10 goes, i dont get any MCB tripping, so it may be your circuitry.i have the tradional GU10 bulbs at another property and again the MCB doesnt trip when the bulb goes. You may have an issue with your wiring blowing the bulbs rather than the bulbs dying and tripping the MCB

Nope, mine always tripped too when halogen ones went pop. Maybe it's your MCB at fault ;).

I've got led bulbs and led GU10 bulbs, In 3 years only one led bulb has failed.
.MUFC.50 m ago

Nope, mine always tripped too when halogen ones went pop. Maybe it's your …Nope, mine always tripped too when halogen ones went pop. Maybe it's your MCB at fault ;).I've got led bulbs and led GU10 bulbs, In 3 years only one led bulb has failed.

Yes, it seems to be quite common problem. My house was fully (professionally) rewired about 8 years ago, but still has problems with bog-standard halogen GU10's. Self-fused (e.g. Syvanian) Halogen GU10's, CFL's, and LED's rarely result in an MCB trip,
mutley13 h, 0 m ago

We used traditional halogen gu10 for many years until LED became cheaper …We used traditional halogen gu10 for many years until LED became cheaper in recent years. When the tradional halogen GU10 goes, i dont get any MCB tripping, so it may be your circuitry.i have the tradional GU10 bulbs at another property and again the MCB doesnt trip when the bulb goes. You may have an issue with your wiring blowing the bulbs rather than the bulbs dying and tripping the MCB

Should have got some of these,
33234649-8e0Bh.jpg
Original Poster
.MUFC.11 h, 39 m ago

Nope, mine always tripped too when halogen ones went pop. Maybe it's your …Nope, mine always tripped too when halogen ones went pop. Maybe it's your MCB at fault ;).I've got led bulbs and led GU10 bulbs, In 3 years only one led bulb has failed.

i would have agreed with you on the possibility of the MCB being faulty at my house, but the fact that the MCB does not trip in 2 of my properties would indicate that both MCB are faulty, which would be too much of a co-incidence.
mutley17 m ago

i would have agreed with you on the possibility of the MCB being faulty at …i would have agreed with you on the possibility of the MCB being faulty at my house, but the fact that the MCB does not trip in 2 of my properties would indicate that both MCB are faulty, which would be too much of a co-incidence.

It probably varies, My electrics used to sometimes trip when normal bulbs blow. My lights are all led now. My electrics are tested every year.
Original Poster
.MUFC.8 m ago

It probably varies, My electrics used to sometimes trip when normal bulbs …It probably varies, My electrics used to sometimes trip when normal bulbs blow. My lights are all led now. My electrics are tested every year.

well, i do have a property where the MCB trips every now and then, but i haven't worked out why as it does not appear to be linked to anything in particular causing the tripping.

the electrics is old in that property so i can only assume that when too much power is in demand, this causes tripping. it is not a big issue as it only happens once or twice a year and the switch can be switched back on without issue.
Happened to me every time I went in to a room in the dark.

Finally worked out the problem by myself with no help from the internet, as I'm extremely intelligent.

Anyway, mine turned out to be a switch on the wall, most of which were located near the entrance to each room.

Leaving these switches permanently on was the solution here.

Hope this helps.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants