LED Ceiling Panels - Can I power them via mains plug?

Found 12th Dec 2017
If I bought a LED light panel designed for office ceilings, could it be adapted so I could plug it into a regular mains plug and use it "handheld"?
Or could I just fit a mains plug and use it?
If I need to buy a Transformer (not the robots in disguise type) or whatver, could I get one from B&Q?

Here's an example of a typical LED panel.
2852839-JqRxf.jpg
Thank you.
Community Updates
Ask
13 Comments
I would say yes BUT bear in mind it won't be earthed so there may be some safety concerns.
That would depend on how it was intended to be powered.

The small box at the bottom of the picture appears to be a transformer, but which voltage that's to and from I can't say.

I suspect you probably can get ones designed to run off household mains voltage.
Thank you both very much
What is the intended use? There may be other option(s) you haven't thought of..?
Yes you can put a plug on the driver. I wire them up as samples all the time.
andynicol17 h, 7 m ago

What is the intended use? There may be other option(s) you haven't thought …What is the intended use? There may be other option(s) you haven't thought of..?

I plan to use it for photography, if they light is suitable (truly daylight balanced).
I can get it at a discounted rate. But I do know it's possible to get dedicated LED lights to use.
Michael_ONeill16 h, 25 m ago

Yes you can put a plug on the driver. I wire them up as samples all the …Yes you can put a plug on the driver. I wire them up as samples all the time.

Thank you for the confirmation.
Derek_Horatio_Shatwell45 m ago

I plan to use it for photography, if they light is suitable (truly …I plan to use it for photography, if they light is suitable (truly daylight balanced).I can get it at a discounted rate. But I do know it's possible to get dedicated LED lights to use.

I wouldn't expect a generic LED light to be particularly good at colour rendering, many LEDs are weak in the reds (R9).
Derek_Horatio_Shatwell1 h, 46 m ago

I plan to use it for photography, if they light is suitable (truly …I plan to use it for photography, if they light is suitable (truly daylight balanced).I can get it at a discounted rate. But I do know it's possible to get dedicated LED lights to use.

Fluorescent light fitting (4’ 5’ 6’ etc) with a daylight tube fitted?

Recently had a plasterer in the house and he had 2 6’ fittings set up this way to ensure ceiling was flooded with near daylight.

He had standard fittings with tube exposed but you could use IP65 fittings giving you a sealed unit which would be safer for transportation if required..?
Edited by: "andynicol" 13th Dec 2017
EndlessWaves9 h, 13 m ago

I wouldn't expect a generic LED light to be particularly good at colour …I wouldn't expect a generic LED light to be particularly good at colour rendering, many LEDs are weak in the reds (R9).

Agreed. I'm getting it at good price. So if it's no good, I can bin it.
Plus I can use a WB card to set the camera up.
andynicol8 h, 16 m ago

Fluorescent light fitting (4’ 5’ 6’ etc) with a daylight tube fitte …Fluorescent light fitting (4’ 5’ 6’ etc) with a daylight tube fitted?Recently had a plasterer in the house and he had 2 6’ fittings set up this way to ensure ceiling was flooded with near daylight.He had standard fittings with tube exposed but you could use IP65 fittings giving you a sealed unit which would be safer for transportation if required..?

No, it doesn't have those types of tubes. Probably just a bank of LEDs. I'm not really sure of the specs at this moment in time.
I just know it's 60cm x 60cm and supposedily daylight balanced.
Derek_Horatio_Shatwell10 h, 20 m ago

No, it doesn't have those types of tubes. Probably just a bank of LEDs. …No, it doesn't have those types of tubes. Probably just a bank of LEDs. I'm not really sure of the specs at this moment in time.I just know it's 60cm x 60cm and supposedily daylight balanced.

I realise the one your looking at has LED’s, I’m making a suggestion to use a fluorescent light fitting instead, with daylight tubes fitted...
andynicol4 h, 37 m ago

I realise the one your looking at has LED’s, I’m making a suggestion to use …I realise the one your looking at has LED’s, I’m making a suggestion to use a fluorescent light fitting instead, with daylight tubes fitted...

OK, understood.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants