LED Outdoor Waterproof Floodlights

Posted 10th Nov
Hello,
Can any Lighting experts please help me.
Looking to purchase about 4 outdoor LED waterproof lights with PiR censors.
Need them to be able to illuminate area about 10 metres away from 2 floor building.

I have looked at some on Amazon but unable to decide if they can cover that kind of area and if they are reliable.
Would be awsome if someone with outdoor lighting knowledge can point me in the right direction.

Thanks very much.
Community Updates
Ask
5 Comments
Where will the PIR be placed, as a remote PIR may struggle at the extremity of that 10m distance. How much daylight is the area to be illuminated exposed to?
Any particular reason for indicating a preference for qty 04 light sources?
AndyRoyd10/11/2019 12:27

Where will the PIR be placed, as a remote PIR may struggle at the …Where will the PIR be placed, as a remote PIR may struggle at the extremity of that 10m distance. How much daylight is the area to be illuminated exposed to?

Hi andy,
Thanks for your response,
Its for abroad and there is daylight from 6AM until 5PM, currently its around 25ó to 30ó (sorry cant get symbol to show).
Property is similar to a Villa style with open areas on all four sides.
The PIR only needs to work if someone is close enough but lights need to cover maximum of 10 metres.
Edited by: "lamboo" 10th Nov
lamboo10/11/2019 12:36

Hi andy,Thanks for your response,Its for abroad and there is daylight from …Hi andy,Thanks for your response,Its for abroad and there is daylight from 6AM until 5PM, currently its around 25ó to 30ó (sorry cant get symbol to show).Property is similar to a Villa style with open areas on all four sides.The PIR only needs to work if someone is close enough but lights need to cover maximum of 10 metres.

Assuming "need to cover maximum of 10 metres" is from the viewing location and not the light source, a general observation from that summary is that decent solar lighting should be fine. If Amazon is your preferred vendor then you can probably find a solution from £6-7 each with decent price/performance ratio, assuming the PIR is to be on-device and not required to detect further than say 5 metres. Random suggestion:
800 lumens each (allegedly) amazon.co.uk/dp/…6M/ at under £24 for qty 04, although some light is projected sideways so may be wasteful for your application (or may be useful?). Also consider the mounting location of the unit if distance projection is required. Mounting location can sometimes be a compromise between exposure to daylight and best positioning for projection. Bright illumination 10metres away from a single light source may be unrealistic, especially for an item with a general light spread pattern, although some useable light will still project futher from each light source.
Be wary of solar-charged models that only offer night-time operation of "permanent dim plus fixed-time bright on motion detection" as these can drain / dimininish the batteries' charge prior to end of the dark period. Most decent items will offer the typical function of no (timed) light until motion detected by PIR.
This type of solar-charged device typically use one or two 18650 batteries with a capacity of circa 2000mAh each which are typically rated at say 500 cycles prior to noticeable loss of efficiency, so likely best replaced every 18m / 2yrs with decent brand / capacity items.
AndyRoyd10/11/2019 13:30

Assuming "need to cover maximum of 10 metres" is from the viewing location …Assuming "need to cover maximum of 10 metres" is from the viewing location and not the light source, a general observation from that summary is that decent solar lighting should be fine. If Amazon is your preferred vendor then you can probably find a solution from £6-7 each with decent price/performance ratio, assuming the PIR is to be on-device and not required to detect further than say 5 metres. Random suggestion:800 lumens each (allegedly) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0797QWG6M/ at under £24 for qty 04, although some light is projected sideways so may be wasteful for your application (or may be useful?). Also consider the mounting location of the unit if distance projection is required. Mounting location can sometimes be a compromise between exposure to daylight and best positioning for projection. Bright illumination 10metres away from a single light source may be unrealistic, especially for an item with a general light spread pattern, although some useable light will still project futher from each light source. Be wary of solar-charged models that only offer night-time operation of "permanent dim plus fixed-time bright on motion detection" as these can drain / dimininish the batteries' charge prior to end of the dark period. Most decent items will offer the typical function of no (timed) light until motion detected by PIR.This type of solar-charged device typically use one or two 18650 batteries with a capacity of circa 2000mAh each which are typically rated at say 500 cycles prior to noticeable loss of efficiency, so likely best replaced every 18m / 2yrs with decent brand / capacity items.

Oh WoW, I've read and looked into the lights you suggested
Alot to digest but very informative.
I was also thinking long term but that comes later,
As the whole area has frequent power outage daily/nightly, my plan is to one day invest in proper solar panels that can be installed on the roof and have it linked to some big batteries so the whole house can have lighting at least when there is a power outage specially during the night. I will be doing alot more research for this as it seems more technical.

In the meantime i like the type you suggested and see if i can find ones with higher lumens.
Again, thanks for pointing me in the right direction
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants