led spot lights or led panel lights

5 replies
Found 6th Oct 2016
Hi everyone, just wanted to ask any electricians or anyone else for that matter.

Doing the lighting in my house and got a choice between led spot lights and led panel lights. Never heard of led panel lights before but had a conversation with someone who said they are good. They give out more light than standard led spot lights plus don't need the bulb changing due to the way they are in design.

Before I make some decisions just wanted to get some ideas and views from the hukd community.

Many thanks.

1. Ask
  2. LED
Groups
  1. Ask
  2. LED
5 Comments

When you were told the bulb doesn't need changing, I suspect what they really mean is when the LEDs do eventually die you will have to replace the entire unit. If that's something you think you could do yourself then it's not a problem but if you think you'd need an electrician it's something to consider when weighing up the pros and cons, especially if you're thinking of doing the entire house with them.

I'm an electrician, by panel lights I assume you mean non maintaining spot lights. In my experience you're best to keep to traditional fire rated down lights with changeable bulb. The non maintained ones aren't as good as they should be IMO I've tried a few. Also if you decide there (traditional spots) not bright enough you can just swap the bulb out for higher wattage.
Hope that helps.

Original Poster

Scoobyadd

I'm an electrician, by panel lights I assume you mean non maintaining … I'm an electrician, by panel lights I assume you mean non maintaining spot lights. In my experience you're best to keep to traditional fire rated down lights with changeable bulb. The non maintained ones aren't as good as they should be IMO I've tried a few. Also if you decide there (traditional spots) not bright enough you can just swap the bulb out for higher wattage. Hope that helps.

Thanks for the responses guys. Agreed that the bulb leds give me options on changing the colour or the wattage.

Do you get different sizes of the spot lights, meaning the actual size. I don't want too many spots just to have sufficient lighting.

Original Poster

Scoobyadd

I'm an electrician, by panel lights I assume you mean non maintaining … I'm an electrician, by panel lights I assume you mean non maintaining spot lights. In my experience you're best to keep to traditional fire rated down lights with changeable bulb. The non maintained ones aren't as good as they should be IMO I've tried a few. Also if you decide there (traditional spots) not bright enough you can just swap the bulb out for higher wattage. Hope that helps.

These are the ones I'm talking about

hartingtonheath.com/pro…DAQ

That's just a example. Obviously, it does not have the long thing that the bulb attaches to making it more space saving. It doesn't have the bulb to replace. But spots are tried and tested. Not sure how old this bulb less tech is.

I know they are mainly used in the commercial sector but a friend said that he's noticed them in a number domestic properties.

Anyway, your advice as a electrician would be welcome. Thanks
Edited by: "EN1GMA" 6th Oct 2016

The panel looks like it is a diffuse light, rather than a directed light.
Even if you have wide dispersion spot bulbs, the small source makes them uncomfortable to catch direct sight of.

The 9W model uses 45x SMD2835 (2.8mm x 3.5mm) LED chips, power level equivalent to "double power" LED strip configurations (using 0.2W LED chips) - looks like the range is designed around those.

No idea if they have then in a grid pattern, or if they are edge lighting a diffuser.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. The HUKD home for Star Trek: Discovery2587
    2. I want to talk about the WEATHER no politics no religion19247574
    3. 5 Letter Scrabble Game52322829
    4. word association Game74244874

See more discussions