Expired

LED T8 Tube Installation

Found 24th Nov 2017
Hi

I'm trying to change my fluorescent tube to a LED tube, I thought it would just be plug and play like other LED bulbs but seems not. Has anyone done this? Apparently I have to remove the ballast whatever that is, I can find some American videos on it but not any UK instructions. I have bought a LED starter but seems its just a fuse to stop it overloading.

Thanks

1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
9 Comments

Are you talking about standard fluorescent tubes found in kitchens and workshops. I got mine 2 weeks ago from Aldi for £9.99, it was the led tube and a fake starter as the fluorescent starter would never blown the tube, so I guess all the false starter one does is make sure you have taken the old starter out. Works great and uses just 1\3 of the wattage of the old tube.
32549586-7m7WC.jpg
Edited by: "SOUTHWALES" 24th Nov 2017

Make sure which version you have - some keep the ballast, others don't, and some use only a single end for power.

The ballast is the big lump, for an old style magnetic or choke ballast, there are 2 wires, with the wiring going from feed to ballast, ballast to end, starter wired between the ends, then the other end to the opposite feed... convention would put the ballast in the live feed.

An electronic ballast may have more wires, a pair to each end.

If it's the "remove ballast" type, then it is not intended to be a direct plug & go - the fitting has to be rewired for LED only of the same type.
The dummy fuse starter may be to allow a single ended tube to be used either way round in a modified fitting, as well to blow and cut power if a conventional tube were placed in the modified fitting.

There really ought to be a diagram with it

Yes the ballast and starter need to be removed, i have done it with our garage one.

Basically the Ballast/Starter are used to cause a big power surge so electrons can flow down a flourescent tube.
The LEDs dont need a big power surge, and would probably blow them if connected to it

This is the one I purchased. aldi.co.uk/lig…600

32549709-tvAGD.jpg

Original Poster

Hi

It is this one : cpc.farnell.com/ene…360
Just seen there was a starter in the end of the box (doh!), it says : Wiring of a single circuit luminaire with magnetic ballast and Wiring of a double circuit luminaire with magnetic ballast on the instructions, both say you don't need to rewire just insert the starter. Its probably an old light fitting, the house isn't new!
Edited by: "Zek" 24th Nov 2017

Zek1 h, 22 m ago

HiIt is this one : …HiIt is this one : http://cpc.farnell.com/energizer/s8912/lamp-led-tube-4ft-1-2m-1600lm/dp/LP09360Just seen there was a starter in the end of the box (doh!), it says : Wiring of a single circuit luminaire with magnetic ballast and Wiring of a double circuit luminaire with magnetic ballast on the instructions, both say you don't need to rewire just insert the starter. Its probably an old light fitting, the house isn't new!

Just wondering why the length difference, aldi one is 1500mm and cpc states 1200mm.

Original Poster

POWYSWALES3 h, 27 m ago

Just wondering why the length difference, aldi one is 1500mm and cpc …Just wondering why the length difference, aldi one is 1500mm and cpc states 1200mm.

It's a 4ft one in kitchen, originally thought it was 3ft until I measured it. Seems they have all different sizes.

Zek16 h, 48 m ago

HiIt is this one : …HiIt is this one : http://cpc.farnell.com/energizer/s8912/lamp-led-tube-4ft-1-2m-1600lm/dp/LP09360Just seen there was a starter in the end of the box (doh!), it says : Wiring of a single circuit luminaire with magnetic ballast and Wiring of a double circuit luminaire with magnetic ballast on the instructions, both say you don't need to rewire just insert the starter. Its probably an old light fitting, the house isn't new!

Is it working now you changed starters?
interested as I want to change mi

Original Poster

Sambat5 h, 34 m ago

Is it working now you changed starters?interested as I want to change mi

Yeah it's working now, if only I had seen the starter in the box it came in! Very bright, 1800lm and half the energy, go for it. Thanks for the help everyone
Edited by: "Zek" 25th Nov 2017
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions