legal implications of openbox & sky

Posted 14th Jul 2015Available: National
Hello,

Been doing some work for a customer and noticed he had sky sports running but no sky box in sight so I asked him if he was stealing someone else's feed (in jest) and he told me about this open box v8s he had installed and said it basically gets all channels for free and has had it for months no problem.

Debated the legality over the box and he said it's the streamers and the people who set it up who are committing an offence not the watcher

Who can be legally implicated and what would they be penalised with ?

Curious so when I go back to do some work over then next few days I can set him straight
Community Updates
New Comment

42 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Author
    I thought as much he said it was £120 box and 2 years subscription and I kept telling him it's orobably illegal on both his side and the installer

Question is , is it about as illegal as watching a stream online ?
    Sky, for charging so much in the first place.
    Both, I would imagine.
    have a look on ebay. they are selling lots of sky f5 boxes or whatever they are called.
    Interesting, I didn't know about these. Since the feed is coming in directly through the Co-Axial cable, and the box is being used to decrypt the signal, then the circumvention of the blocked channels is happening on his side, and he could potentially get in trouble. There are other ways to do something similar without being implicated, but no where near as good as this solution it seems.
    JLA92

I thought as much he said it was £120 box and 2 years subscription and I … I thought as much he said it was £120 box and 2 years subscription and I kept telling him it's orobably illegal on both his side and the installerQuestion is , is it about as illegal as watching a stream online ?

No, streaming is different as the content host is the one that is implicated. This is different from P2P, or in this case, on-side decryption. When you are streaming, you are just viewing the content without downloading anything that can be accessed afterwards.
    Course its illegal, but so are they're prices (skys) they should be a limit on how much they charge a consumer and to make it a more fairer market place.

Virgin media only charge so much because they piggy back off Rupert Murdoch.

Back on subject sky really never go for the "little" man, just the servers that are offering the channels/boxes !!

Dont tell me ebay dont know what a 12 month gift is ? A box of chocolates or a hat and scarf ? B***llocks !!

And even if if sky was to knock on someones door it only takes two seconds to delete a cline out and not everyone uses them for sky here. There is many pubs that get boxes to stream sports from other countries for a 1/3 of the price, and as many people do as sky is rubbish anyway with all the repeats they play !!

Sky only get a way with what they charge because of the millions they pay in corporation tax.

(edited)
    If you purchase a pre configured box online your pretty much immune to penalty. Save a copy of the listing which states Free TV and play dumb.

Its not a criminal offence to watch copyright content but it does breach copyright and the provider can take you to the county court. Don't worry about it
    Honestly if its not taking money out of your pocket then don't worry about it. Im sure sky wont miss £40/month out of the millions it already rakes in.
    I had a skybox f5s then upgraded to a vu solo for better EPG and recording capabilities and its the best thing i ever did. Been doing it for a good number of years and saved a fortune. Not had the riot police at the door yet X)
    mjccam

I had a skybox f5s then upgraded to a vu solo for better EPG and … I had a skybox f5s then upgraded to a vu solo for better EPG and recording capabilities and its the best thing i ever did. Been doing it for a good number of years and saved a fortune. Not had the riot police at the door yet X)

Lol @ mjccam
    Why are you even bothered, he won't appreciate you sticking your nose in?
    He knows Sky's rip off prices and didn't want to pay them so bought a " £120 box and 2 years subscription", not from an high street shop, paid cash(?) and not by direct debit so no trail. He's fully aware it's illeagal and if not ignorance is no defence in law.
    (edited)
    leave it be live your own life let him watch it or risk it, why waste your time. you won't get nothing out of it.
    I don't know why you feel the need to "set him straight". He knows what he's doing is dodgy, you know what he's doing is dodgy, everybody here knows what he's doing is dodgy, but what has it got to do with you?

He is not going to get "found out" unless someone reports him to Sky, and even then if you reported him to Sky, I'm pretty certain they'd have the powers to take him to court for civil proceedings if they could prove how long he had been in receipt of the box etc, but they wouldn't, and they'd be no criminal proceedings against him personally, they would however be very interested in investigating the suppliers etc.

The reality is he will face no prosecution or come back, the risk with these boxes is that the 'length of the subscription' may not reach 12 months, it could last 12 minutes, 12 weeks, or the full 12 months that depends on if the main distributors gets caught, and I think under the copyright act they can face jail time for up to 12 years which in the grand scheme of our judicial system is ridiculous considering paedophile's face far less.

unless you are asking as you're interested yourself, in which case don't bother. they're not even HD, and if his subscription ends tomorrow he wont have anyone to complain too.

I am curious as to how Amazon manage to sell these "gifts" on their website though.. being the ethical company that they are

(edited)
    Mine is HD so stop spouting lies
    Author
    appreciate the feedback, albeit a few **** faced comments was insightful thank you
    kjcoolcat

unless you are asking as you're interested yourself, in which case don't … unless you are asking as you're interested yourself, in which case don't bother. they're not even HD, and if his subscription ends tomorrow he wont have anyone to complain too.I am curious as to how Amazon manage to sell these "gifts" on their website though.. being the ethical company that they are

The ones on Amazon just get freeview so they are ethical
    mjccam

I had a skybox f5s then upgraded to a vu solo for better EPG and … I had a skybox f5s then upgraded to a vu solo for better EPG and recording capabilities and its the best thing i ever did. Been doing it for a good number of years and saved a fortune. Not had the riot police at the door yet X)

I am very interested in this, I currently have sky due to really good deals posted recently £25 a month for all channels for 12 months. The main reason we re-subscribed to SKY was the recording facility but if you can get that on a box now then that has made it very interesting
    adamsxi

The ones on Amazon just get freeview so they are ethical

The boxes are, but you can buy the gifts separately. Which is the illegal part...
    "Curious so when I go back to do some work over then next few days I can set him straight"

What does it matter to you if the guy is saving some money? Are you going to have a go at people using torrents too? What about those that don't pay TV license?
    He knows exactly what he's doing so don't bother trying to put him in his place, he's just playing dumb with you.
    imnicebuttdim

I am very interested in this, I currently have sky due to really good … I am very interested in this, I currently have sky due to really good deals posted recently £25 a month for all channels for 12 months. The main reason we re-subscribed to SKY was the recording facility but if you can get that on a box now then that has made it very interesting

Zgamma box
    OP I suggest you let sleeping dogs lie as you have nothing to gain and a paying customer to lose. If you're not comfortable with the fact that he's getting a paid service for free (illegal or not) then I'm sure you could easily tell him you're not comfortable doing business with him, and walk out the door.
    kjcoolcat

The boxes are, but you can buy the gifts separately. Which is the illegal … The boxes are, but you can buy the gifts separately. Which is the illegal part...

​I'm £5 a month for all the channels :p. Google vu solo 2 or you can get a vu solo 2 se which is a clone and its even cheaper. Can record while watching another, can pause live tv. The only issue is, it isn't skys slick user interface so takes a bit of getting used to but for the price its fantastic.
    Also these gifts can end at anytime and you've no comeback, its a risk you take. I've been using the same guy for 3 years so I know he's reliable and ive never ever had an issue.
    And there is only FTA HD channels, if anyone tells you they get the paid channels in HD, its a lie
    come on OP, don't dob the guy in.
    Author
    No intention of doing anything with the guy I meant set him straight in terms of me being right about the legality of it all,
    Honestly don't care what he does so everyone who was quick to jump on it just calm the **** down
    Sad git
    op clearly wants to be able to go back and say 'ner ner i was right and you were wrong'
    ... and quite frankly we know there is no better reason for educating yourself on a matter
    He's cardsharing. Tell him there are better options out there for the full HD package such as IPTV.
    Everyone is entitled to do what they want legal or not its their choice!
    Flynn Jack

Why are you even bothered, he won't appreciate you sticking your nose in? … Why are you even bothered, he won't appreciate you sticking your nose in? He knows Sky's rip off prices and didn't want to pay them so bought a " £120 box and 2 years subscription", not from an high street shop, paid cash(?) and not by direct debit so no trail. He's fully aware it's illeagal and if not ignorance is no defence in law.

Jury nullification exists though..
    Author
    Jeeez still going, found the answer out a while back, got my own sorted out now :-)
    EN1GMA

come on OP, don't dob the guy in.

​there is HD in cable box
    soulsteeler

Everyone is entitled to do what they want legal or not its their choice!

​ehh no, no one is entitled to break the law.

are you entitled to rob peoples houses just cause you want to?
    There is nothing illegal in this. If someone says there is, can they provide the exact link saying so and if they can't then shut up and stop being jealous and showing your ignorance. Thank you.
    dumdu

There is nothing illegal in this. If someone says there is, can they … There is nothing illegal in this. If someone says there is, can they provide the exact link saying so and if they can't then shut up and stop being jealous and showing your ignorance. Thank you.

10 month old thread dude...
    The issue you'll have is that the seller will get busted eventually, police will seize the computers and have access to their customers. So... Pay cash, collect the box. Don't but on ebay/amazon
    Totalwise

The issue you'll have is that the seller will get busted eventually, … The issue you'll have is that the seller will get busted eventually, police will seize the computers and have access to their customers. So... Pay cash, collect the box. Don't but on ebay/amazon

19 month old thread dude...
    (edited)
    Totalwise

The issue you'll have is that the seller will get busted eventually, … The issue you'll have is that the seller will get busted eventually, police will seize the computers and have access to their customers. So... Pay cash, collect the box. Don't but on ebay/amazon

Let's ask him since it was two years ago!
    mjccam

's avatar