Lego Dimensions has officially been cancelled. (Statement from TT Games)

Found 19th Oct 2017Edited by:"F.D."
Official statement from TT Games' studio manager Dave Dootson (Sent to the company):

''Thanks so much to everyone for making Dimensions possible. As difficult as it has been, it is worth celebrating the incredible achievement it represents in the quality of the game, the amazing blend of IPs and the challenging technical demands it presented. It stands as a real testament to the talent within TT.''

It's a sad day Lego Dimensions fans, Lego Dimensions is officially coming to an end. I first reported in this back in March when the rumours were first circulating suggesting that once the year two content has been released, it will wind down. That was backed up by unknown in-game content being removed from the game, in an update - suggesting they were planning the inevitable. Also, Dimensions was at the bottom of TT Games' meeting agenda and developers were moved to work on other titles.

2814724.jpg
Lego Dimensions was originally cited to go through a three year-plan. The developer of TT was to stick to that blueprint throughout years one & two, but it became clear it years three wasn't to see the light of day.

Year one releases included a diverse range of franchises. Doctor Who, The Lego Movie, Scooby-Doo, Jurassic World, Lord of the Rings and DC Comics to name a few.
Some of the lines were produced in low numbers, whilst other were over compensated and overproduced.
The packs that didn't sell well were eventually discontinued. That's when the problems started. Each pack had a figure & vehicle or multiple thereof, and were sold with little room for profit. Packs that weren't selling were often discounted, removing their profit margin altogether.
Lego is manufactured to such a high quality, some packs had exclusive pieces which would require new moulds. As it's a limited-run item, it therefore can't be mass produced. If the sets did not sell, it would affect Lego Dimensions bottom line.

Moving on to year two - they attempted to fix this issue by releasing a wider ranger of franchises, with a smaller number of packs for each. They also released a bunch of 1980's sets which opened out the game to the adult crowd with such franchises: E.T, The A-Team, The Goonies, The Gremlins, Beetlejuice & Knight Rider.

Year Three would have featured a return to Lego Dimensions' original universe-crossing storyline starring fan-favourite villain Lord Vortech (voiced by Gary Oldman) and TT Games previously hinted to Eurogamer that Vortech was being planned as a special figure release. Vortech's pack was originally planned to be the last of Year 3, to wrap up the whole series and perhaps unlock access to all of the game's worlds. Later, after Year Three was off the table, plans shifted and Vortech was considered as a finale pack to wrap up the franchise after Year Two, before being dropped altogether.

The latter half of Year Two in particular would have looked a little different, with plans shifting around the release of franchises such as Teen Titans Go! and The Powerpuff Girls. These eventually arrived later than originally slated, and their packs changed in scope.

Other plans discussed for Year Three would have included a Lego Minecraft expansion, along with more characters for existing franchises - such as a Missy-themed follow-up to Year One's popular Doctor Who pack, and the Flash added as another DC Comics character.

Even more ambitious work was also once underway within TT Games on a camera which would be able to scan small Lego builds and replicate them within the game. We're told this tech would have allowed you to build anything in a five-by-five block size and have it recognised, then reproduced on-screen. A version of this gadget was up and running, although was never greenlit for production.

Community Updates
Misc
23 Comments
Sad times. My Son will be gutted
Myself and daughter really wanted this, struggled to justify the vast cost. Eventually got it at a half decent price and what a disappointment, barely played it and still have packs unopened. Faffy, and boring from both the adult and child.
Always wanted to try this, but was put off by the price(s). Mega firesale discounts likely hopefully!
I wonder if any is in Sainsbury's during Nectar double up?
Ah man Cheers for the heads up dude.
Still no official confirmation from Lego or TT, I don’t dispute it’s probably finished but this isn’t exactly confirmation.
My son will be gutted, now it will be about gathering the whole collection at hopefully reduced prices, although would imagine that once stocks run out, certain characters may actually increase in value
Official statement from TT Games' studio manager Dave Dootson

''Thanks so much to everyone for making Dimensions possible. As difficult as it has been, it is worth celebrating the incredible achievement it represents in the quality of the game, the amazing blend of IPs and the challenging technical demands it presented. It stands as a real testament to the talent within TT.''
splender18 h, 6 m ago

I wonder if any is in Sainsbury's during Nectar double up?

my sainsbury's has scrapped the entire line on the shelves and repalced it with Nintendo Switch stuff
My kids are huge Lego fans and this is something I've being wanting to get them but the price just couldnt be justified.
Now Im wondering is it even worth getting........

"That was backed up by unknown in-game content being removed from the game, in an update"

Does that mean that some of the features of this game where online only? If so what was it? And would it still be worth getting this game eventually?
KingWeir5 m ago

My kids are huge Lego fans and this is something I've being wanting to get …My kids are huge Lego fans and this is something I've being wanting to get them but the price just couldnt be justified.Now Im wondering is it even worth getting........"That was backed up by unknown in-game content being removed from the game, in an update"Does that mean that some of the features of this game where online only? If so what was it? And would it still be worth getting this game eventually?

It's not at all like that. I think late year two content, which has now been canned, was taken out of the game. Thus not being able to be unlocked by that add on.
All released fun & level pack content, will still be in the game. It will definitley be worth getting, If you can get it cheap enough. There's a lot of content out there.
Edited by: "F.D." 20th Oct 2017
SteveFantasy20th Oct 2017

It's not at all like that. I think late year two content, which has now …It's not at all like that. I think late year two content, which has now been canned, was taken out of the game. Thus not being able to be unlocked by that add on.All released fun & level pack content, will still be in the game. It will definitley be worth getting, If you can get it cheap enough. There's a lot of content out there.

Pretty much this, gold bricks and worlds count changed around wave 7.5 if I remember rightly. Was a real shame and I will miss it. I have to say it was really fun playing the game and having various characters from different series saying one liners to each other! A real shame indeed still think people will still be paying Supergirl now this is over? I mean after the powerpuff girls came out you could use the Lantern bits.
Well here is the official confirmation of the cancellation

32298531-DOiSX.jpg
[Link to Tweet]

Sad times indeed. As stated above in the Tweet. WB have stated that they will continue to provide ongoing server and customer support for all LEGO Dimensions packs
Surprised at this. Looks like Skylanders have a captive market.
The Disney Infinity was rubbish IMO,however Dimensions seemed a decent game/character base with many options open to developers.
Ah man, I'm gutted. I have so much of this stuff still in the box as I haven't gotten round to building it all lol
Will the whole game still be playable? I'm so confused by what it all means
Can someone help please? My daughter is expecting this for Christmas is their any point in me buying the starter pack??
I only really bought the packs for the lego figures anyway, especially the 1980s related sets.
Found the game itself very hit and miss.
Incredibly annoying that you couldn't just sit on the sofa and play, as every 5 minutes you're having to move the figures around on the base.

And for the price of the level packs, the levels themselves were incredibly short in content. Goonies could be finished in an hour, yet the set costs £25!!!
I bought this when it was cheap and the issue is it felt like a money grab.

You play star wars Lego or Harry Potter or whatever and you have hundreds of characters and unlockables and for me that was it's charm and then boot this up and you are restricted to only the figures you have and it all just felt locked down and all a bit restricted- the idea was awesome but I feel like the packs needed to come with more virtual characters and unlockables to put it inline with the other lego experiences.

As a owner of this and Disney infinity (both bought very cheap) - I hope this ends the licensed toy/video game trend.... they clearly don't work for Devs or gamers.... not long term and the gaming experience is hampered by the format
WalkerboyUK8 h, 41 m ago

I only really bought the packs for the lego figures anyway, especially the …I only really bought the packs for the lego figures anyway, especially the 1980s related sets.Found the game itself very hit and miss.Incredibly annoying that you couldn't just sit on the sofa and play, as every 5 minutes you're having to move the figures around on the base.And for the price of the level packs, the levels themselves were incredibly short in content. Goonies could be finished in an hour, yet the set costs £25!!!

Think that was bad, try the back to the future one, that was the shortest one I played!
lilymac23rd Oct

Ah man, I'm gutted. I have so much of this stuff still in the box as I …Ah man, I'm gutted. I have so much of this stuff still in the box as I haven't gotten round to building it all lolWill the whole game still be playable? I'm so confused by what it all means

WB have stated that they will continue to provide ongoing server and customer support for all LEGO Dimensions packs

So yes, the game is still playable (And should be for a year or two aswell.)
Edited by: "Funky_DealFinder" 24th Oct 2017
Pepz3471 h, 5 m ago

Think that was bad, try the back to the future one, that was the shortest …Think that was bad, try the back to the future one, that was the shortest one I played!

Yeah BTTF was pretty poor all in all.
i absolutely detested the ET one as well, but where else can you get a Lego ET?
WalkerboyUK24th Oct

Yeah BTTF was pretty poor all in all.i absolutely detested the ET one as …Yeah BTTF was pretty poor all in all.i absolutely detested the ET one as well, but where else can you get a Lego ET?

That's the problem! When I saw Gremlins, ET, Knight Rider... I had goosebumps! I glad I own the whole lot but still sad to see it now finished. Unfortunately I won't bother to get all the gold bricks this time round since you get nothing for it
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants