Lego fans. Has anyone made a Lego table?

Found 15th Sep 2012
I'm contemplating making a table for lego/duplo

My littlest has a current love for Duplo and the biggens still play with their Lego I don't know why I haven't done this in the past.

My initial thoughts are to get a piece of mdf and put a a sort of trim round the edge, so it makes a big tray. And glue the xlarge baseboards on to the mdf. I was thinking the trim/lip should be about 2cm, just to stop the Lego pouring out.

And then finding a cheap coffee table and placing it on top

18 Comments

Just build it out of bricks... don't be lazy now :-)

How big do you want the table to be?

Ikea lack tables might be handy for this sort of thing

Banned

you can buy lego tables so a spare £350 quid and the jobs a fish

active-robots.com/leg…tml

Original Poster

I've bought too, this morning, I am wondering if I can just glue the baseplates in and use it.

I thought by using my method stated in my Op I could use the other side of the tray, paint it green with roads and she could use it for general play.

I'm trying not to spend too much money on the project as a whole.

The size I am thinking about is 38x76cm which is two of the xlarge grey baseplates. So about coffee table size and hight, plus I could get two smallish tubs of bricks underneath

I did initially think of the lack table but it's too small plus it's quite laminated so putting a lip round it would be Ricky and I suspect would look bodged

Edited by: "skellysgirl" 15th Sep 2012

Original Poster

hyperemisis

http://www.instructables.com/pages/search/search.jsp?cx=partner-pub-1783560022203827%3Anpr2q7v5m6t&cof=FORID%3A11&ie=ISO-8859-1&q=lego+tableInstructables.com - this site is great for things like that - have a browse and get some ideas!

Great link, Ta
I love making stuff. It's so satisfying, it usually ends up costing me more though X)

Banned

dog_cop

you can buy lego tables so a spare £350 quid and the jobs a fish … you can buy lego tables so a spare £350 quid and the jobs a fish http://www.active-robots.com/lego-duplo-3-seat-playtable.html

ebay.co.uk/itm…10a

currently 7.50 if anywhere near orpington , kent

Original Poster

fab_1

http://www.angryjuliemonday.com/2011/04/05/how-to-make-a-lego-table/

Ive saw this, i was planning on something a bit bigger, plus i want a lip so the lego so the lego stays on the table

dga

Lego table not made of Lego? oOMine use the dining table and coffee … Lego table not made of Lego? oOMine use the dining table and coffee table, check out the used goods shops to get one on a budget or even better...Ikea!

im lucky enough to have a bit of space and the lego is always out so i thought id have a go at making one. i have had a quick look though ikea (my fav place) but im 45min away and i cant justify a trip up just for that...although if i get meatballs at the same its not too bad an idea.

another idea i thought about was an old baby changing table they are like a tray, i thought i could cut one down in height
Edited by: "skellysgirl" 15th Sep 2012

If you google, 'Ikea Hackers Lego Table' you will get a fair few ideas.
Clickety Click

Loving this and if I had room would build one tomorrow
Playhouse

Promise to post pics of what you eventually do

Back when I were a lad we didn't have none of these fancy tables, we played on the floor like proper kids.

Original Poster

cragshore

If you google, 'Ikea Hackers Lego Table' you will get a fair few ideas. … If you google, 'Ikea Hackers Lego Table' you will get a fair few ideas. Clickety ClickLoving this and if I had room would build one tomorrowPlayhousePromise to post pics of what you eventually do

actually the playhouse is sort of what i want, but only 2 cube wide and 1 cube high. I already have a 8x4 expidit unit unit at the opposite part of my landing, where i am going to put the table. and i even have those football baseboards. it is ideal if it was lower. I put my boards on to check the size yesterday and they are perfect.

im gonna have a wander round B&Q today and im gonna order a few of the grey baseboards from amazon as they will be flatter and look better i think.

Original Poster

unquestioned

Back when I were a lad we didn't have none of these fancy tables, we … Back when I were a lad we didn't have none of these fancy tables, we played on the floor like proper kids.

me too, but well im just a big kid and i like the idea of making one. i have to admit, i quite like playing with the lego too

I've got a spare IKEA table I've been meaning to do this with., the little coffee/side tables are about a fiver. Not looked into what baseplate would fit nicely though

Banned

dga

Just need some 1/4 dowel and no-nails for that pro look.

and some sticky backed plastic ultra pro look

ikea lack are 55cm square or so
biggest duplo board is 38cm square so if centred leaves a decent edge for lego i guess
green baseplate which is halfprice on amazon atm
amazon.co.uk/LEG…8-1

or in red for a few pennies more amazon.co.uk/LEG…8-8

considered this as dont like the way the green base is 'floppy' but too lazy to actually get round to it.

(edit noticed these not bad price atm amazon.co.uk/LEG…1_2?s=kids&ie=UTF8&qid=1347712195&sr=1-2)
Edited by: "brilly" 15th Sep 2012

Original Poster

dga

In fact, why not make a table top slightly oversized with the 1/4 dowel … In fact, why not make a table top slightly oversized with the 1/4 dowel underneath plus some felt pads to stop scratching. Voila, a portable Lego table top.This is how my poker table works

That's sort of what I am thinking. A double sided flippable top. And just a base unit to rest it on. It seems the easies way to get what I want and allows me to tailor it to an exact size
sancho1983

I've got a spare IKEA table I've been meaning to do this with., the … I've got a spare IKEA table I've been meaning to do this with., the little coffee/side tables are about a fiver. Not looked into what baseplate would fit nicely though

The biggest baseplates are 38.4 x 38.4 cm they only come in grey brand new, you may get the odd green one on eBay.
Then the next size down is 25 x 25cm

Original Poster

Your better off getting the Lego baseplate as the Lego and the duplo build on it, but Lego does not work on duplo baseboard.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions