Groups

Lego will 'Stop Funding Hate' by ending agreement with the Daily Mail

Lego really is excellent. Hopefully other companies do the same in the future because it can only be good marketing for them.

43 Comments

Original Poster

Lego will stop advertising its products in the Daily Mail after a public campaign calling on businesses to not fund newspapers that promote "hatred, discrimination and demonisation', the company has announced.

The Danish firm, which has previously run free giveaways in the newspaper, responded to the Stop Funding Hate campaign by tweeting: "We have finished the agreement with The Daily Mail and are not planning any future promotional activity with the newspaper."

It followed public pressure for companies to after pull their adverts from several right-wing newspapers after they ran controversial front pages on child refugees and the High Court judges who ruled that Parliament must be given a say on Brexit.

Lego is the first large company to agree to the campaigners' demands.

independent.co.uk/new…tml

Does that mean I get cheap lego if I burn a copy of the Daily Mail? Or is this merely a rant rather than a deal?

Boo! No more cheap Lego and cheap cat litter

Original Poster

dogpatch

Does that mean I get cheap lego if I burn a copy of the Daily Mail? Or is … Does that mean I get cheap lego if I burn a copy of the Daily Mail? Or is this merely a rant rather than a deal?

It means you can buy Lego safe in the knowledge that they're not going to be giving money to the Mail (hopefully).

Lego gets political. What a joke, if they maybe halved the price of their stuff they'd stop lego snobbery too.. (tongue in cheek)

personally I would never have purchased the paper, no matter they gave away free.
    I was once tempted when I saw the £5 off £40 spend at lidl and I was on my way to buy something, despite my money saving/miserly ways I didn't lower my standards.
    besides imagine the shame if someone had seen me.

I hear Linekar and Walkers are talking about stopping advertising in the Sun.

buddhabelly

I hear Linekar and Walkers are talking about stopping advertising in the … I hear Linekar and Walkers are talking about stopping advertising in the Sun.

Whilst they blame brexit and put prices up.

Business will always come before principles....just look at FIFA for example.

Its a shame Lego has given in to this so easily,i remember plenty of times Lego has been on the receiving end of various spurious 'ism claims, lets just hope this doesn't turn around and bite them on the backside in the future, if they want to live by sword then they should die by it as well.

So Lego hasn't actually stated the reasons for stopping its promotions with the DM and, as usual, people are jumping to conclusions and using it for their own agenda.

Bless em.

bbc.co.uk/new…425

Shame about this. I enjoyed getting the free LEGO and didn't care which paper it came from.
    Can't people just not buy the paper if they disagree with the papers views.

stuarthanley

So Lego hasn't actually stated the reasons for stopping its promotions … So Lego hasn't actually stated the reasons for stopping its promotions with the DM and, as usual, people are jumping to conclusions and using it for their own agenda. Bless em. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-37962425

Oddly enough, there is nothing about this on the Daily Mail website. It's not like them not to give their take on this sort of thing.

RonChew

Oddly enough, there is nothing about this on the Daily Mail website. It's … Oddly enough, there is nothing about this on the Daily Mail website. It's not like them not to give their take on this sort of thing.

Yes. Perhaps they should have ran a front page story saying
    "we're no longer going to give Lego away as promotional offers and there is no official reason for this"

stuarthanley

So Lego hasn't actually stated the reasons for stopping its promotions … So Lego hasn't actually stated the reasons for stopping its promotions with the DM and, as usual, people are jumping to conclusions and using it for their own agenda. Bless em. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-37962425

the SJWs need some sort of belief that people give a fupp about what they think, in order to get themselves up in the morning.

stuarthanley

Yes. Perhaps they should have ran a front page story saying "we're no … Yes. Perhaps they should have ran a front page story saying "we're no longer going to give Lego away as promotional offers and there is no official reason for this"

But, surely, if anybody other than Lego, knows the reason for this, it must be the Daily Mail. So why aren't they telling their readers what a terrible firm Lego is to stop giving their product away free with the Mail. Or might it be, because the real reason would then come out and the Mail would have to admit that it has been outwitted by Stop Funding Hate?

RonChew

But, surely, if anybody other than Lego, knows the reason for this, it … But, surely, if anybody other than Lego, knows the reason for this, it must be the Daily Mail. So why aren't they telling their readers what a terrible firm Lego is to stop giving their product away free with the Mail. Or might it be, because the real reason would then come out and the Mail would have to admit that it has been outwitted by Stop Funding Hate?

Why waste the printing space? It's a non-story jumped upon by those with an agenda.

stuarthanley

Why waste the printing space? It's a non-story jumped upon by those with … Why waste the printing space? It's a non-story jumped upon by those with an agenda.

And, of course, the mail would never use a non-story to suit their agenda.

Well done done Lego never bought the hate filled bum rag

Reading between the lines the deal came to an end and they moved on, campaign wasn't against one paper.

Edited by: "eslick" 12th Nov 2016

HotEnglishAndWelshDeals

It means you can buy Lego safe in the knowledge that they're not going to … It means you can buy Lego safe in the knowledge that they're not going to be giving money to the Mail (hopefully).

​when is the op going to close this thread like the last one that didn't go his way?

Tried to get the recent star wars 'Poe ship' earlier on in the month
    Asked if I could just pay for the Lego instead of buying the newspaper because I would only throw it away outside anyway, was told that I had to buy the paper even though it was going straight in the bin.

shadey12

​when is the op going to close this thread like the last one that didn't g … ​when is the op going to close this thread like the last one that didn't go his way?

People should all be aware by now of the Op being anti democratic, and his hidden agenda in every thread he is involved in. Taunting the poor, wishing hunger on young families as punishment for voting Brexit, and bragging of self wealth at the expense of the homeless.

No one should buy into his lure of open debate, as when he disagrees with you the thread will be closed.

coathanger

People should all be aware by now of the Op being anti democratic, and … People should all be aware by now of the Op being anti democratic, and his hidden agenda in every thread he is involved in. Taunting the poor, wishing hunger on young families as punishment for voting Brexit, and bragging of self wealth at the expense of the homeless. No one should buy into his lure of open debate, as when he disagrees with you the thread will be closed.

​he will most probably pull this thread

shadey12

​he will most probably pull this thread

Let it Lego, let it Lego
    I am one with the wind and sky
    Let it go, let it go
    You'll never see me cry
    Here I stand
    And here I'll stay
    Let the storm rage on

Read more: Idina Menzel - Let It Go Lyrics | MetroLyrics X)

Original Poster

coathanger

People should all be aware by now of the Op being anti democratic, and … People should all be aware by now of the Op being anti democratic, and his hidden agenda in every thread he is involved in. Taunting the poor, wishing hunger on young families as punishment for voting Brexit, and bragging of self wealth at the expense of the homeless. No one should buy into his lure of open debate, as when he disagrees with you the thread will be closed.

I've never taunted a poor person for being poor, never wished hunger on a young (or old) family and never bragged about my wealth.

I think you're either misremembering posts or simply reading into things. Sorry about that.

HotEnglishAndWelshDeals

I've never taunted a poor person for being poor, never wished hunger on a … I've never taunted a poor person for being poor, never wished hunger on a young (or old) family and never bragged about my wealth.I think you're either misremembering posts or simply reading into things. Sorry about that. <3

​i think you are not answering the accusations/facts that have been put to you.
    you cannot be shown the proof because you close all the threads where you say inflammatory things and goad people.
    you no doubt will close this one.
    some would prefer you just close your account but that's another matter.

Original Poster

shadey12

​i think you are not answering the accusations/facts that have been put t … ​i think you are not answering the accusations/facts that have been put to you.you cannot be shown the proof because you close all the threads where you say inflammatory things and goad people.you no doubt will close this one.some would prefer you just close your account but that's another matter.

Well tell you what, if you have an issue with me then pm me rather than deliberately taking another thread off topic ok? Good

HotEnglishAndWelshDeals

Well tell you what, if you have an issue with me then pm me rather than … Well tell you what, if you have an issue with me then pm me rather than deliberately taking another thread off topic ok? Good

​thread off topic?
    you have to stop with the comedy.
    its OK you can pull the thread
    I really have no desire to pm you

Original Poster

shadey12

​thread off topic?you have to stop with the comedy.its OK you can pull t … ​thread off topic?you have to stop with the comedy.its OK you can pull the threadI really have no desire to pm you

The thread is about lego and the Mail. If you have nothing on topic to post then please don't. Thanks.

As it is it's good publicity for Lego to take this stand. It would be nice to see other family friendly companies make statements like this.

Plus it's nice to feel guilt free going to the lego shops. Why didn't we have these when I was younger?? X)
    Edited by: "HotEnglishAndWelshDeals" 13th Nov 2016

I will sure to point this flaw in you, every time you try to take any thread off topic from now on.
    thanks

shadey12

​thread off topic?you have to stop with the comedy.its OK you can pull t … ​thread off topic?you have to stop with the comedy.its OK you can pull the threadI really have no desire to pm you

The first 20 posts in this thread were on topic - then you arrived.

On Sky News last night (week recap) they had a little video to go with the story, a time lapse of someone building a lego house, and then a man walking out of the house, clearly they had run out of lego men as the man used was a Hornby or Bachmann Branchline figure.. totally not important but it made me chuckle a bit.

I mean how hard was it to go buy a Lego Minifigure.. attention to detail X)
    Edited by: "haritori" 13th Nov 2016

haritori

On Sky News last night (week recap) they had a little video to go with … On Sky News last night (week recap) they had a little video to go with the story, a time lapse of someone building a lego house, and then a man walking out of the house, clearly they had run out of lego men as the man used was a Hornby or Bachmann Branchline figure.. totally not important but it made me chuckle a bit.I mean how hard was it to go buy a Lego Minifigure.. attention to detail X)

Sky News is bottom of the barrel low-budget TV. What would you expect?

RonChew

Sky News is bottom of the barrel low-budget TV. What would you expect?

Yeah I'm not a fan, I just like to watch Kevin Maguire and Andrew Pierce argue

haritori

Yeah I'm not a fan, I just like to watch Kevin Maguire and Andrew Pierce … Yeah I'm not a fan, I just like to watch Kevin Maguire and Andrew Pierce argue

And Kay Burley, the poor man's Katie Hopkins?

teh arn

Tried to get the recent star wars 'Poe ship' earlier on in the month … Tried to get the recent star wars 'Poe ship' earlier on in the month Asked if I could just pay for the Lego instead of buying the newspaper because I would only throw it away outside anyway, was told that I had to buy the paper even though it was going straight in the bin.

Not sure which is funnier, you playing with Lego or blaming the newsagent

zzzz...anger at Daily Mail is just so dull.

airfix

Not sure which is funnier, you playing with Lego or blaming the newsagent … Not sure which is funnier, you playing with Lego or blaming the newsagent

Not quite sure why it would be funny?
    I don't think I even mentioned 'playing with lego'....

shadey12

​i think you are not answering the accusations/facts that have been put t … ​i think you are not answering the accusations/facts that have been put to you.you cannot be shown the proof because you close all the threads where you say inflammatory things and goad people.you no doubt will close this one.some would prefer you just close your account but that's another matter.

If such a thing does indeed happen, why haven't people gotten screenshots for said proof?
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Royal Mail chat says I am not allowed to send paper of any kind to Hong Kon…1528
      2. Apples new update46
      3. miikeyblue and shabbird's (but mostly shabbird's) Tuesday night pub quiz!543730
      4. word association Game73844439
      5. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7767112

See more discussions