Lenono Flex 15 laptop white screen - windows 10

Posted 4th Nov
Hubby spilt a glass of wine on his laptop last night. The wine went into the keyboard.

The screen display became faulty and now it has gone completely white with 3 blue smudges at the bottom of the screen and two fine vertical colour lines down the middle of the screen.

I have opened the laptop to make sure the connections are not loose but I don't want to remove the screen as that looks likely to cause further damage as it looks complicated.

Anyone got any ideas on how I can get the screen to work or does it need a new screen?

I can see the screen display when I connect the laptop to a TV with the HDMI cable but when I click on the windows start icon, nothing happens. Otherwise the laptop seems to be working fine so it appears to be an issue with the screen display.
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

Top comments
deeky05/11/2019 09:10

Such an awful shame. Laptops are so expensive these days

Probably need to sell a house, or re-mortgage one, or sue a solicitor/conveyancing team...
Bin it and do us a favour and expire the thread. It's beyond repair
Now, you really must be kidding with this one

If you've spilled wine and it's gone through the keyboard then it's gotten to the circuitry. Possibly the display connections etc.

Answer = buggered! Needs a thorough drying out and possibly cleaning up with isopropyl alcohol (IPA).
31 Comments
38902181-A3nNd.jpg
Now, you really must be kidding with this one

If you've spilled wine and it's gone through the keyboard then it's gotten to the circuitry. Possibly the display connections etc.

Answer = buggered! Needs a thorough drying out and possibly cleaning up with isopropyl alcohol (IPA).
Also, note for the future: Liquid and electricity do not mix. If you ever drop liquid onto an electrical item, the VERY LAST THING you do is turn it on UNTIL you have cleaned/dried it out. That's why short circuits occur and things go pop!
Phsycronix04/11/2019 19:48

Now, you really must be kidding with this one If you've spilled wine …Now, you really must be kidding with this one If you've spilled wine and it's gone through the keyboard then it's gotten to the circuitry. Possibly the display connections etc.Answer = buggered! Needs a thorough drying out and possibly cleaning up with isopropyl alcohol (IPA).

i think you are right as the wine has got into the circuitry. when i opened up the laptop, there was wine inside. it has been left to dry out since last night.

unfortunately the laptop was also dropped onto the carpeted floor when hubby tried to clean the wine off the keyboard. it has been knocked about a bit so it is even surprising that it still works, except for the screen just showing white.
Wine contains sugar. Sugar is a very sticky substance and needs to be completely removed. Otherwise there is probably a residual layer on the circuitry - especially if it's dried on.

Geez! Dropped it as well. Poor old thing needs to be buried, bless it. I think it's suffered enough eh?
Phsycronix04/11/2019 19:59

Wine contains sugar. Sugar is a very sticky substance and needs to be …Wine contains sugar. Sugar is a very sticky substance and needs to be completely removed. Otherwise there is probably a residual layer on the circuitry - especially if it's dried on.Geez! Dropped it as well. Poor old thing needs to be buried, bless it. I think it's suffered enough eh?

What the husband?

Wine contains sugar. Sugar is a very sticky substance and needs to be …Wine contains sugar. Sugar is a very sticky substance and needs to be completely removed. Otherwise there is probably a residual layer on the circuitry - especially if it's dried on.Geez! Dropped it as well. Poor old thing needs to be buried, bless it. I think it's suffered enough eh?

he claims it was the dog that knocked the glass of wine over, which i find incredible as the dog was in the garden at the time!
My friend did that whilst immersed in Line of Duty. Expensive mistake as not only was it a glass of wine wasted but she had to buy a new laptop!
Throw that Lenovo away and buy a Lenovo Thinkpad, these models (not all) have a liquid collection and drainage tray under the keyboard.

Dried on jizz is a nuisance too... so I believe.
Phsycronix04/11/2019 19:48

Now, you really must be kidding with this one If you've spilled wine …Now, you really must be kidding with this one If you've spilled wine and it's gone through the keyboard then it's gotten to the circuitry. Possibly the display connections etc.Answer = buggered! Needs a thorough drying out and possibly cleaning up with isopropyl alcohol (IPA).

Never drink and use your drive at the same time as this can ruin your laptop. Think your laptop is kaput
deeky05/11/2019 09:10

Probably need to sell a house, or re-mortgage one, or sue a solicitor/conveyancing team...
chocci05/11/2019 07:20

Not so; some comments removed & we may continue politely.

PS. Maybe just my comments.
Edited by: "fanpages" 5th Nov
Aww mate you are having some bad luck at the moment

At least you know where to look for good deals on a replacement.
myusernamehasgone23405/11/2019 11:50

Aww mate you are having some bad luck at the moment At least you know …Aww mate you are having some bad luck at the moment At least you know where to look for good deals on a replacement.

i need to get a new laptop so i can relegate my one to hubby as it looks like that one needs a new screen and although i can replace the screen myself, i don't think it is worth my while to do so. as riverdragon8 suggested, i could just use that broken laptop as a desktop if i get a separate monitor, but i think it is time for a new laptop any way as we don't really want a desktop since hubby uses the laptop on the sofa rather than at a desk. a desktop only works on a desk, obviously.
mutley105/11/2019 11:55

i need to get a new laptop so i can relegate my one to hubby as it looks …i need to get a new laptop so i can relegate my one to hubby as it looks like that one needs a new screen and although i can replace the screen myself, i don't think it is worth my while to do so. as riverdragon8 suggested, i could just use that broken laptop as a desktop if i get a separate monitor, but i think it is time for a new laptop any way as we don't really want a desktop since hubby uses the laptop on the sofa rather than at a desk. a desktop only works on a desk, obviously.

you said the windows key doesnt work so the keyboard is knackered too
chocci05/11/2019 12:06

you said the windows key doesnt work so the keyboard is knackered too

the windows icon on the bottom of the screen, not the keyboard. the keyboard works fine.
mutley105/11/2019 11:55

...we don't really want a desktop since hubby uses the laptop on the sofa …...we don't really want a desktop since hubby uses the laptop on the sofa rather than at a desk. a desktop only works on a desk, obviously.

A mini-system PC only works in a small car, & a tower system only works in a high-rise building.

No, wait, what am I talking? Nonsense, obviously.

A desktop machine can be used from your lap on a sofa; you can put the base unit anywhere you want; that doesn't have to be balanced on your body.

Good grief.

---

...I know... I fell for it. (Sigh)
fanpages05/11/2019 11:22

Not so; some comments removed & we may continue politely.PS. Maybe just my …Not so; some comments removed & we may continue politely.PS. Maybe just my comments.

No, mine as well. I've already warned him recently that continually ignoring me and reporting my comments will force me into not visiting his threads at all in future.
mutley105/11/2019 14:35

the windows icon on the bottom of the screen, not the keyboard. the …the windows icon on the bottom of the screen, not the keyboard. the keyboard works fine.

'I can see the screen display when I connect the laptop to a TV with the HDMI cable but when I click on the windows start icon, nothing happens. '

Therefore, it's not just the screen that's broken!

Cue thread number 1120
Edited by: "chocci" 5th Nov
deeky05/11/2019 15:47

will force me into not visiting his threads at all in future.

deeky05/11/2019 17:42

I can't remember what came next now

Think that was it
Covering it with pipe insulation might help.
Wash it, Make sure you get all the wine out and it'll be fine.
.MUFC.07/11/2019 11:29

Wash it, Make sure you get all the wine out and it'll be fine.

i have given up on it, except turn it on each morning in the hope that it has recovered all by itself overnight! oddly enough, the 3 blue smudges at the bottom of the screen have now disappeared and one of the vertical line down the middle of the screen has also disappeared

if i wait long enough the screen may be completely white and then ......
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants