LENOVO BOOT HELP

Found 8th Jul
Hi,
One for the pc experts out there.
I have a standard Lenovo aio and am selling it. I started a restore and the cable was pulled out midway. When I turned it back on it was stuck on the Lenovo logo screen. I researched this a bit and it turned out that all I had to do was reinstall windows via a usb. So I have the whole usb ready and apparently I have to get to the boot menu. There was no indication as to which f button I should press as I know it varies with different machines. So me being me I just restarted the machine a few times and every time just clicked every button on my keyboard. I got 3 different screens, 1 was the bios settings, the other was a screen with a blue logo( can’t remember which one but I think it had mega in the name) and that one had a prompt to click f12 for boot menu but that just led me to a black screen. The third screen I got was a little box that had a few options to go to like bios, diagnosis, boot menu but all of them got me to a blank screen. Apparently I need to access advanced settings somehow but at this point I have no hope. Please can someone help me with my issues.
Community Updates
AskLenovo
41 Comments
Am I right in saying you want to boot to a USB windows installer? From the bios you can arrange the boot priority put the usb to the top of the list and it will boot there first. If it’s not working then likely the usb isn’t currently bootable (what did you use to make this?)
Edited by: "Dannyrobbo" 8th Jul
I used the windows website to download this. I have seen tutorials on boot order but in my bios there’s no boot section
Dannyrobbo9 m ago

Am I right in saying you want to boot to a USB windows installer? From …Am I right in saying you want to boot to a USB windows installer? From the bios you can arrange the boot priority put the usb to the top of the list and it will boot there first. If it’s not working then likely the usb isn’t currently bootable (what did you use to make this?)

whichstandard Lenovo aio do you have? model number will help
C40-30 i3-4005U 4GB ram 1TB HDD
According to the user manual to access the BIOS on that machine is F1
Here it states to go to startup and Primary Boot Sequence (might be worth setting defaults as first step)

pressing and holding F12 advises it will take you to the start up menu which it sounds like you have already found
Bertz998th Jul

According to the user manual to access the BIOS on that machine is F1Here …According to the user manual to access the BIOS on that machine is F1Here it states to go to startup and Primary Boot Sequence (might be worth setting defaults as first step)pressing and holding F12 advises it will take you to the start up menu which it sounds like you have already found

Nothing happens when I click either of them, if I just start clicking random keys it will most likely take me to any one of the three different screens. But I just need to know what I should do
34283371-lE2mn.jpg
This is one of the screens but when I click any of them it takes me to a blank screen
I have managed to change the order but which one of the above options do I click
masterhussain16 m ago

I have managed to change the order but which one of the above options do I …I have managed to change the order but which one of the above options do I click

F12 looks like the right one
F12. Follow prompts to set your USB as first boot device. Reboot.
34283909-m0S78.jpg
When I click either of the 2 I get a blank screen and when I click enter setup it goes to bios settings. I have tried switching round sata1 and usb already but no luck
masterhussain7 m ago

[Image] When I click either of the 2 I get a blank screen and when I click …[Image] When I click either of the 2 I get a blank screen and when I click enter setup it goes to bios settings. I have tried switching round sata1 and usb already but no luck

Looks like you are on the correct track, choosing the usb should take you into the setup program on that usb

are you able to test you can boot from that usb stick on another machine?
Hi bertz how would I test that
Also the usb option will just go to a blank screen
masterhussain14 m ago

Hi bertz how would I test that

so as Dannyrobbo asked - you have created a usb boot stick to boot from and try and repair your windows installation?

From this you have plugged in the preapred usb stick you are trying to repair from and choosing to boot from that from your start up menu (usb choice)

so if you have that correct my query is to ascertain if that usb stick you have created from another computer boots from that other computer (not actually run the setup though but see if you get into the setup program)!
Ok I’ll try that btw I have disabled one of the settings and have managed to get these options now
34284133-7OKT8.jpg
@Bertz99@kester76@Dannyrobbo right so I have checked and the setup file wouldn’t actually open on another pc so I reinstalled it onto the usb and tried again but it still goes blank.:(
masterhussain47 m ago

@Bertz99 @kester76 @Dannyrobbo right so I have checked and the setup file …@Bertz99 @kester76 @Dannyrobbo right so I have checked and the setup file wouldn’t actually open on another pc so I reinstalled it onto the usb and tried again but it still goes blank.:(

by reloaded - did that then work on the other pc first?
masterhussain1 h, 12 m ago

@Bertz99 @kester76 @Dannyrobbo right so I have checked and the setup file …@Bertz99 @kester76 @Dannyrobbo right so I have checked and the setup file wouldn’t actually open on another pc so I reinstalled it onto the usb and tried again but it still goes blank.:(

You can't burn an iso to USB stick unfortunately it has to be done in a certain way. USB Hard drive should work though.

You need the following

From microsofts website download the Windows 10 media creation tool. It comes in 32 and 64bit so grab the 64bit version.
USB Stick 4GB and above.
Win32 Disk Imager off sourceforge
kester762 h, 8 m ago

You can't burn an iso to USB stick unfortunately it has to be done in a …You can't burn an iso to USB stick unfortunately it has to be done in a certain way. USB Hard drive should work though. You need the following From microsofts website download the Windows 10 media creation tool. It comes in 32 and 64bit so grab the 64bit version.USB Stick 4GB and above.Win32 Disk Imager off sourceforge

Hi I will try this, 2 questions (sorry!),
First one, what do you mean buy win32 disk imager off sourceforge.
2nd, what is the process of this tool how would I go about doing this.
masterhussain6 m ago

Hi I will try this, 2 questions (sorry!),First one, what do you mean buy …Hi I will try this, 2 questions (sorry!),First one, what do you mean buy win32 disk imager off sourceforge.2nd, what is the process of this tool how would I go about doing this.

you shouldn't need the win32 disk imager the media creation tool should create you a bootable usb stick with all required files:

this link details it:
windowscentral.com/how…ort

of course a million ways to go about getting to the same result but that should be the easiest and was what I assume you were describing above?.
masterhussain18 m ago

Hi I will try this, 2 questions (sorry!),First one, what do you mean buy …Hi I will try this, 2 questions (sorry!),First one, what do you mean buy win32 disk imager off sourceforge.2nd, what is the process of this tool how would I go about doing this.

microsoft.com/en-…s10

The new version is a lot better as it combines all the versions instead of separating oem/pro/home etc.
I think the new software allow you to write directly to a USB stick but if you have an ISO you need to follow a few extra steps.

Win32Diskimager is great for installing an ISO on a usb stick.
@kester76 that is the one I downloaded but still no luck, I think I’ll try contacting Lenovo today
masterhussain6 h, 29 m ago

@kester76 that is the one I downloaded but still no luck, I think I’ll try …@kester76 that is the one I downloaded but still no luck, I think I’ll try contacting Lenovo today

I think I might be talking out of my arse on this one, looks like fast boot and secure boot BIOS options can compound this issue.

Check out tomshardware.co.uk/for…tml and
lybecker.com/blo…ve/

I had an issue with fast boot when I didn't disable it before swapping my GPU, the OS spat the dummy out big time
I need to look into these settings myself as it's new to me. Might be worth an IM to Endless as he's clued up on these things.

Looks like Fastboot hinders Boot for USB and secure boot needs new keys but I'm not 100% sure.

Hope this helps steer you in the right direction.
kester762 h, 49 m ago

I think I might be talking out of my arse on this one, looks like fast …I think I might be talking out of my arse on this one, looks like fast boot and secure boot BIOS options can compound this issue.Check out http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/id-2770945/install-windows-disabling-secureboot-fastboot.html andhttp://www.lybecker.com/blog/2017/07/18/installing-windows-with-secure-boot-from-usb-drive/I had an issue with fast boot when I didn't disable it before swapping my GPU, the OS spat the dummy out big time I need to look into these settings myself as it's new to me. Might be worth an IM to Endless as he's clued up on these things.Looks like Fastboot hinders Boot for USB and secure boot needs new keys but I'm not 100% sure.Hope this helps steer you in the right direction.

Thanks a lot for the advice. I’ll try that tonight, however just got of the phone with the people at Lenovo and they’re going to try sending me a instruction pack on this. Am waiting for it now. They said otherwise they can repair it for a fee 😥
@kester76 Do you think you can pm me (i can’t pm yet) in regards to this as I’m having some issues
masterhussain1 h, 10 m ago

@kester76 Do you think you can pm me (i can’t pm yet) in regards to this a …@kester76 Do you think you can pm me (i can’t pm yet) in regards to this as I’m having some issues

Tried but app quotes "This user doesn't allow to receive messages"

What issue are you having ?
kester7615th Jul

Tried but app quotes "This user doesn't allow to receive messages"What …Tried but app quotes "This user doesn't allow to receive messages"What issue are you having ?

Oh no worries about that. I was just trying to avoid people that have notifications set up here getting alerts constantly. Anyways, I decided to give it to one of my local pc shops for a quick overview. What I’ve been told is that, when I update the ‘driver’ it will stop working, but that’s with win 10. So he’s installed win 8 onto it. I tried asking him if I can download windows 10 online and then install it without issues but he didn’t understood my question.
masterhussain30 m ago

Oh no worries about that. I was just trying to avoid people that have …Oh no worries about that. I was just trying to avoid people that have notifications set up here getting alerts constantly. Anyways, I decided to give it to one of my local pc shops for a quick overview. What I’ve been told is that, when I update the ‘driver’ it will stop working, but that’s with win 10. So he’s installed win 8 onto it. I tried asking him if I can download windows 10 online and then install it without issues but he didn’t understood my question.

I think you would of been alright if you had installed it from the optical drive. I think it's only the usb installation that has issues. I could be wrong though.
kester768 h, 31 m ago

I think you would of been alright if you had installed it from the optical …I think you would of been alright if you had installed it from the optical drive. I think it's only the usb installation that has issues. I could be wrong though.

Yeah but I did genuinely think that it was hardware corruption. But he told me that he had tried with usb and DVD install but it would just crash
masterhussain25 m ago

Yeah but I did genuinely think that it was hardware corruption. But he …Yeah but I did genuinely think that it was hardware corruption. But he told me that he had tried with usb and DVD install but it would just crash

Weird, what's the crash ?
He said that the same problem (blank screen) would occur when he reinstalled win 10. He also mentioned something like he had to disable the update driver for it to work
masterhussain31 s ago

He said that the same problem (blank screen) would occur when he …He said that the same problem (blank screen) would occur when he reinstalled win 10. He also mentioned something like he had to disable the update driver for it to work

kester763 h, 36 m ago

Weird, what's the crash ?

masterhussain22 m ago

He said that the same problem (blank screen) would occur when he …He said that the same problem (blank screen) would occur when he reinstalled win 10. He also mentioned something like he had to disable the update driver for it to work

Normally blackscreen is caused by GPU drivers conflict or it's pushing video to the wrong port. If this is the case then it will be affecting the whole PC range and not just your PC.
kester762 h, 2 m ago

Normally blackscreen is caused by GPU drivers conflict or it's pushing …Normally blackscreen is caused by GPU drivers conflict or it's pushing video to the wrong port. If this is the case then it will be affecting the whole PC range and not just your PC.

I’m sorry, I explained it wrong, when I meant blank screen I was meant to say the Lenovo start up screen that was the issue in the first place. Also what is this all about disabling my update drivers
masterhussain1 h, 3 m ago

I’m sorry, I explained it wrong, when I meant blank screen I was meant to s …I’m sorry, I explained it wrong, when I meant blank screen I was meant to say the Lenovo start up screen that was the issue in the first place. Also what is this all about disabling my update drivers

Sometimes windows breaks itself do to installing bad drivers. Used to be bad on Windows 8 with certain drivers just breaking video output.

Still think yours is to do with secure boot not liking you playing with the OS. I would of probably pulled the main drive and swapped it for a clean one.
kester767 h, 45 m ago

Sometimes windows breaks itself do to installing bad drivers. Used to be …Sometimes windows breaks itself do to installing bad drivers. Used to be bad on Windows 8 with certain drivers just breaking video output.Still think yours is to do with secure boot not liking you playing with the OS. I would of probably pulled the main drive and swapped it for a clean one.

Thanks, I’ve got one last question. If I were to install windows 10 now after everything, by just downloading it from the internet would it start the problem all over again
masterhussain7 h, 3 m ago

Thanks, I’ve got one last question. If I were to install windows 10 now a …Thanks, I’ve got one last question. If I were to install windows 10 now after everything, by just downloading it from the internet would it start the problem all over again

Probably as this seems to be the issue in the 1st place.
kester7658 m ago

Probably as this seems to be the issue in the 1st place.

Or to put another way - from the info supplied no one has a clue (no offense intended Kester)

@OP Quite a few bits are not making sense for anyone being able to tell you completely 100%.

The first above when you were trying to recover - PC's boot, they have a boot sequence that orderly goes through the devices in the boot order until first device found - your black screen I suspect was your corrupted hard disk installation. Your initial description was that it was going to black screen - when overriding your boot sequence to be usb it wasn't booting from that device. Hence I questioned if that device was booting elsewhere - Kester makes a valid point that a you could have tried an alternative boot of the dvd drive - both mediums can be created from the media creation link I gave above and is the easiest method to get there for the uninitiated.

Then you have taken it to a local shop to repair - I do not get why you have paid someone to put on a different OS than the one you wanted and then you want to over write what they have done to get to where you wanted it to be in the first place and where you initially stated you started. This just does not add up. Same with the secure boot freezing on reboot, or a graphics driver corruption -both of those situations do not stop you booting to a different boot device if the boot device is setup accordingly.

Will it happen again, without knowing the initial cause you are asking for someone to guess, the only definite advise you can be given is if attempting to do so (your machine states it supports windows 10) then ensure your firmware from Lenovo is up to date - and ensure you have media to recover from that works in the first instance (either usb or a dvd that you have tested boots before you start).

Good luck
Edited by: "Bertz99" 18th Jul
Bertz9918th Jul

Or to put another way - from the info supplied no one has a clue (no …Or to put another way - from the info supplied no one has a clue (no offense intended Kester)@OP Quite a few bits are not making sense for anyone being able to tell you completely 100%.The first above when you were trying to recover - PC's boot, they have a boot sequence that orderly goes through the devices in the boot order until first device found - your black screen I suspect was your corrupted hard disk installation. Your initial description was that it was going to black screen - when overriding your boot sequence to be usb it wasn't booting from that device. Hence I questioned if that device was booting elsewhere - Kester makes a valid point that a you could have tried an alternative boot of the dvd drive - both mediums can be created from the media creation link I gave above and is the easiest method to get there for the uninitiated.Then you have taken it to a local shop to repair - I do not get why you have paid someone to put on a different OS than the one you wanted and then you want to over write what they have done to get to where you wanted it to be in the first place and where you initially stated you started. This just does not add up. Same with the secure boot freezing on reboot, or a graphics driver corruption -both of those situations do not stop you booting to a different boot device if the boot device is setup accordingly.Will it happen again, without knowing the initial cause you are asking for someone to guess, the only definite advise you can be given is if attempting to do so (your machine states it supports windows 10) then ensure your firmware from Lenovo is up to date - and ensure you have media to recover from that works in the first instance (either usb or a dvd that you have tested boots before you start).Good luck

I think secure boot is probably the main issue and I've also heard of other issues with usb 3.0 devices not being formated correctly and ntfs causing problems for UEFI.

Microsoft are just locking the OS down.I had a issue earlier where someone had installed the creators pack with some crap antivirus. Completely borked the user folder and OS. Managed to salvage the user profile but it was a nightmare. Would of been easier to wipe it but I was concerned that their Microsoft office was probably killed off and wouldn't install again.
Edited by: "kester76" 18th Jul
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants