Expired

Lenovo G780 dead?

Found 19th Jan 2014
You may remember this deal here.... hotukdeals.com/dea…e=2

Well I decided to go for it!

So 1 year 1 month later here we are with a dead laptop?
It was working fine today, went out for lunch came back and bam nothing happens when you turn it on at all.

No power lights, no battery charging light - nothing
I have no idea where to start?
I've tried taking out the battery and power source, holding the power button for lengthy periods of time but nothing helped.
Someone suggested the CMOS battery and RAM so I removed the HDD and the RAM and tried turning it on - nothing, can't find the elusive CMOS battery on my laptop however..? Usually it beside the HDD/RAM and I just can't see it!
Community Updates
AskLenovo
14 Comments
First and generally most likely source is going to be the power supply. Do you have a spare compatible one (most lenovos use the same adapters) or know someone with a Lenovo laptop that you could use their charger.
Original Poster
Funnily enough my mate bought the exact same one so we traded power supplies, his doesn't work on mine still but mine works on his.
I've a feeling the motherboard or something is wrong on the laptop with regards to power? Checking out the Lenovo forums if any USB ports are damaged or missing parts this can prevent the laptop from booting or can even short the laptop? Not sure how accurate that is... but my USB port next to the power port is missing the black bit inside, there are just 4 pins - not sure how long it has been like this as I'm not one for using the ports at all
If his machine does not work on your power supply that would suggest to me that it's most likely died and will require replacement. They do go, as they are one of the more chucked and battered about bits. I kill them myself on a regular basis.
Had a similar issue with HP G6 it was the motherboard which was damaged due to a faulty USB port.
New motherboard & ports fitted under warranty.
Original Poster
Hmm just out of warranty I wonder if contacting Lenovo will be any good...?
Original Poster
Astec123

If his machine does not work on your power supply that would suggest to … If his machine does not work on your power supply that would suggest to me that it's most likely died and will require replacement. They do go, as they are one of the more chucked and battered about bits. I kill them myself on a regular basis.

His power adapter doesn't work on my laptop but my power supply does work on his laptop.
InfinityLoop

Funnily enough my mate bought the exact same one so we traded power … Funnily enough my mate bought the exact same one so we traded power supplies, his doesn't work on mine still but mine works on his.I've a feeling the motherboard or something is wrong on the laptop with regards to power? Checking out the Lenovo forums if any USB ports are damaged or missing parts this can prevent the laptop from booting or can even short the laptop? Not sure how accurate that is... but my USB port next to the power port is missing the black bit inside, there are just 4 pins - not sure how long it has been like this as I'm not one for using the ports at all

Ignore me, I totally read what you wrote wrong (it's been a long day). If it's a duffed up USB port it could have caused a short and blown a fuse there are loads of tiny ones on the motherboards. Usually out of warranty you have 3 options;

cut your losses and buy a new machine
try to source a cheap working motherboard and replace the old one in the hope that will solve the issue
replace the fuses (a job I wouldn't even try myself as it's painfully awkward)

It may be worth calling Lenovo up and see what they say as you might get lucky and they offer to repair it even with it being out of warranty.
Edited by: "Astec123" 19th Jan 2014
Original Poster
I'll try Lenovo then tomorrow hopefully out of their hearts they might offer to fix it else I'll just have to save up for another one some how could start with selling the dead laptop haha
Original Poster
Hmm wonder if I can find any policy on their website.
redcantona

check this out, it may help … check this out, it may help youhttp://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/bills/article-1677034/Two-year-warranty-EU-law.html

Wouldn't really apply in the OP's case as it's damage caused by them and not a manufacturing fault. However, lenovo support is usually very good so worth a try to see if they will do it as a gesture of goodwill.
InfinityLoop

Hmm just out of warranty I wonder if contacting Lenovo will be any … Hmm just out of warranty I wonder if contacting Lenovo will be any good...?

actually it is. warranties are fine but English law also states items should be fit for purpose.
1 year and a month for a new laptop is not fit.
no one would argue with that
Astec123

Wouldn't really apply in the OP's case as it's damage caused by them and … Wouldn't really apply in the OP's case as it's damage caused by them and not a manufacturing fault. However, lenovo support is usually very good so worth a try to see if they will do it as a gesture of goodwill.

sorry but thats wrong mate. bits falling out is not classed as damage caused by him.

If he had forcibly tried to push something in the usb port causing the break then yeah it would be his fault but he didnt do that.

Original Poster
Yay thank you for the help.
As a gesture of good will Lenovo are going to accept it for repair even though its outside the window for repair I didn't even have to moan or anything.
I just have to email my proof of purchase to Medion.com? Then they will contact me with 48 hours to organise collection from my home address
Hopefully they will either fix the problem or give me a new for old kind of deal or even refund/partial?
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions