Lenovo IdeaCentre AIO 700 issues

Found 3rd Mar 2016
Hi,
Just looking for advices on second line as technical support seems to know less than me regarding this issue and I'm trying to avoid of sending PC back for a warranty service yet as it will delay my work (no spare PC for now).
I just run out of ideas. Here is the problem:

Computer hangs up randomly. Mouse pointer remains still, audio (if played at the time) hangs and sound like diesel engine. The only way to restart is hard reset (unsafe for hdd). Hangs are completely random. Sometimes it happens on the desktop, other times during using of different programmes or apps... There are weeks without hangs and days with 2,3,4 hangs happening. Totally unfrequent.

Checked hardware with Lenovo Solution Centre (silly app) and no problem at all.

did a heavy load stress test on single cores of processor and all of them together, Graphic cards (nVidia and IntelHd), HDD, RAM. Everything went smooth.

Updated everything including BIOS and .NET framework.

REST IN THE COMMENT
Community Updates
  1. Ask
  2. Lenovo
Groups
  1. Ask
  2. Lenovo
30 Comments
Original Poster
Great it just cut off more than half of what I wrote down here
Original Poster
In short:

Win10 64 Home
Hangs randomly. Sometimes week without hang up and sometimes up to 4 hangs in one day.
Lenovo Solution Centre diagnose hardware as 100% fine.
Heavy load stress test finds everything fine.
After Lenovo one key recovery and windows recovery everything is still same.
Looks like software related but everything is up to date including BIOS and even .NET framework
Original Poster
To restart have to hard reset it(unsafe for HDD). Technical support seems to know less than me about this issue. Trying to avoid sending it to warranty service as have no spare PC to work on but running out of ideas.
Original Poster
Can't check it under safe mode as hangs are unfrequent and it's impossible to keep using PC in safe mode for weeks.
M015T

Which tools did you use and how long did you run them for?

M015T

After Lenovo one key recovery and windows recovery everything is still … After Lenovo one key recovery and windows recovery everything is still same.

Which option did you use specifically? Windows Reset? It might be worth trying again and leaving the default drivers in place rather than updating them in case it's a bug in the current version of the driver.

Have you checked your power supply voltages? They should be within +-5% of nominal (the negative ones can be +-10% but they're not used much). Worth doing both at idle and under a heavy load (all stress tests running at once).

Original Poster
M015T

M015T

After Lenovo one key recovery and windows recovery everything is still … After Lenovo one key recovery and windows recovery everything is still same.

I've used HeavyLoad (runned constantly for 120min and FurMark for GPU for almost an hour)
I did reset windows via system reset for the first time and it happened again. Second time I did it via Lenovo One Key Recovery. No luck either.

What do you mean specifically by checking power supply?
I'm not familiar with HeavyLoad. Does it actually test for errors like the more usual options (Prime95, Memtest 86 etc.) or just do the calculations to reveal any obvious flaws?
How old is the machine? Where did you buy it from? What method of payment did you use? If you were are far less knowledgeable user than you are what action would you take?
Original Poster
It just stress testing computer and show you stats
Original Poster
tardytortoise

How old is the machine? Where did you buy it from? What method of … How old is the machine? Where did you buy it from? What method of payment did you use? If you were are far less knowledgeable user than you are what action would you take?

Now that is the point. Bought in currys this January. Have one year lenovo warranty and already contacted technical support but didn't really want to send it back as it will go to germany and it will take fair amount of time and I need PC and to be honest I'm really afraid about safe packaging because I don't have original box. Since it is all in one PC the only way is to pack it like pc monitor for dispatch but again with normal monitor protection of screen is the only concern and I did it many times but in this case it is more complicated as beside the screen there is plenty of non shock proof hardware inside. Lenovo technical support is no help for me as know less than me and if I'll just take it to currys...actually what would happen if I'll take it to currys? Are they gonna take care and responsibility of packaging and send it to lenovo warranty service?
M015T

What do you mean specifically by checking power supply?

A motherboard typically reports the voltages it received from the power supply. So on the 12v line it might get 12.05v. Being a machine with a custom motherboard may not do so but it's worth a look. Either in the bios or using Open Hardware Monitor or something similar.
Original Poster
EndlessWaves

A motherboard typically reports the voltages it received from the power … A motherboard typically reports the voltages it received from the power supply. So on the 12v line it might get 12.05v. Being a machine with a custom motherboard may not do so but it's worth a look. Either in the bios or using Open Hardware Monitor or something similar.

This is report from Open Hardware Monitor
If this were me I would take it straight back to Currys - maybe they will let you borrow a machine? I have no idea why some people put up with so much **** with computers when they would not do so with some other white or brown goods purchase?

Another alternative, given the age of the machine would be to eliminate software issues by reverting back to the state the machine was in when you took it out of its box. I guess you use the software on the hidden partition? And for that matter revert back to the BIOS that came with the machine. Then if it still plays up at least you know it is nothing you have done and could safely take to Currys and tell them to sort it.
Another idea - can you boot up a live OS from DVD/USB? This would also eliminate any changes you have introduced (except the BIOS stuff)
Original Poster
I've updated the BIOS after Lenovo technical support told me so. It was happening before BIOS update too. No point in booting live distro of any os and test it as hang are unfrequent and for now I didn't have it for three days. I can test it on live distro for days and with luck nothing will happen. More I read about win10 on different forums and about this issue on different PCs/laptops more I think it is Windows related. Following this I think they will just reinstall OS or replace the PC for another one which will be faulty the same way. Worst thing is that I cannot find the reason of such behaviour. It will be way easier to look for solution... I'm afraid when I'll give it back for assessment to Currys/Lenovo they will experience no hang and just return it to me.

Why do I give so much ****? I don't want to stay without the PC for a long time.
caught in a rat trap. take it back
Original Poster
tardytortoise

caught in a rat trap. take it back

Yeah. I will probably take it back to Currys on saturday.
Am I in position to insist on replacement/refund or will have to wait for their inspection which will find nothing probably as with my luck it wouldn't hang during assesment.
Original Poster
And also shall I attach printed copy of my email chain with Lenovo Technical Support?
Do I have to take back everything (keyboard, mouse, power cable)?
M015T

More I read about win10 on different forums and about this issue on … More I read about win10 on different forums and about this issue on different PCs/laptops more I think it is Windows related.

You haven't identified the problem, only symptoms that could be caused by a variety of problems.

M015T

Following this I think they will just reinstall OS or replace the PC for … Following this I think they will just reinstall OS or replace the PC for another one which will be faulty the same way.

If you used the reset option then you've already reinstalled the OS.

Do you have any third party hardware attached? Directly that is, network devices are fine. If so it might be worth running a few days with all of that disconnected if possible.

If you don't then I would start to suspect faulty hardware. It's possible that there's a software problem in the system as shipped, especially if you use it for something unusual, but it does make it more likely to be the hardware.

Have you checked Windows' Event Logs for the time this happens to see if there's any smoking gun there?
Original Poster
EndlessWaves I did reset OS. What I said in the post above is when they will take it for assesment they gonna do exactly the same thing and return pc as fully working (in their opinion).
I've tried to run it with network card disconnected. No usb HDD, pendrives...nothing connected. Clean installation of os and hang happened even at that time. I really wanted to avoid dealing with any warranty services as that takes ages and probably couple of complaints knowing them. Because first thing they gonna do is factory reset of OS (which I did multiple times in all possible ways) and sending it back to me straight away.
Original Poster
Oh and Event Log have massive amount of different warnings and errors. Most of them are remains of my hard resets but you can find other pearls among the swines in there. I can post copy of first couple of them later. (I'm at work now:)
I don't think it's worth my hassle and wasted time. All in all I've paid good money for this and I can expect good piece of PC for my needs.
For someone in your situation this is the best website ever:-

citizensadvice.org.uk/con…ds/

Read it, its only short and then press the start button at the bottom of the page answer some short easy questions and it will present you with an action plan which you must follow to achieve the best outcome.

Just keep in mind its just another electronic box. I suggest you return it back to the state it was in before you took it out of its box and do not reveal any technical competence on your part. Remember your contract is with Currys - NOT with Lenovo. If Currys want to involve Lenovo then that is their choice but you must be satisfied with the actions they intend taking. I still think getting a machine on loan whist is sorted would be a nice gesture on their part. Who mentioned flying pigs?
Original Poster
tardytortoise

For someone in your situation this is the best website … For someone in your situation this is the best website ever:-https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/consumer/somethings-gone-wrong-with-a-purchase/return-faulty-goods/Read it, its only short and then press the start button at the bottom of the page answer some short easy questions and it will present you with an action plan which you must follow to achieve the best outcome.Just keep in mind its just another electronic box. I suggest you return it back to the state it was in before you took it out of its box and do not reveal any technical competence on your part. Remember your contract is with Currys - NOT with Lenovo. If Currys want to involve Lenovo then that is their choice but you must be satisfied with the actions they intend taking. I still think getting a machine on loan whist is sorted would be a nice gesture on their part. Who mentioned flying pigs?

I'll use computer today for a bit and will see if it will happen as yesterday there was pretty big update for windows10 but not much hope. Maybe indeed it is hardware fault.

I'm "tired" of this issue and don't really have time and patience to look further for what may have cause the issue. I bought this PC 15th of January so it is almost two months of my time wasted for investigating the issue. Thanks for the link and I think this is the best idea. I'll check what my warranty states and will go to currys tomorrow or saturday. If they can make a refund I'll be more than happy as with money on my acc I can sort out my need for computer sooner. If it will be repair or replacing of product that is fine too. I should have done it after first couple of hangs not after two months. All in all I paid for it and can demand to have fully working pc not a piece of c**p.

Tomorrow morning (if newest update didn't help) I'll make a backup and will revert computer to factory settings. I'll come back to this topic at the end of weekend or monday to describe how it went. Maybe it will be useful if somebody will experience the same.
Original Poster
So it is easier to return it as faulty than to use warranty. Good link, good advice. I'll try to do this that way. Can't find information on packaging. To return it as faulty do I need original box? I don't have it...any ideas?
M015T

So it is easier to return it as faulty than to use warranty. Good link, … So it is easier to return it as faulty than to use warranty. Good link, good advice. I'll try to do this that way. Can't find information on packaging. To return it as faulty do I need original box? I don't have it...any ideas?

Forget the warranty. Your contract is with Currys - nobody else. They are the supplier - not Lenovo. Currys took your money - not Lenovo.
Shame about packaging - but no matter - just return as best you can the whole lot. Make sure it is very clean and no signs of any damage or misuse. Don't forget to take any words of wisdom you were given from that website should you need it. And if you paid by credit card that company also shares some of the respectability for the item.
Original Poster
tardytortoise

Forget the warranty. Your contract is with Currys - nobody else. They … Forget the warranty. Your contract is with Currys - nobody else. They are the supplier - not Lenovo. Currys took your money - not Lenovo.Shame about packaging - but no matter - just return as best you can the whole lot. Make sure it is very clean and no signs of any damage or misuse. Don't forget to take any words of wisdom you were given from that website should you need it. And if you paid by credit card that company also shares some of the respectability for the item.

I'll learn this website to last word:)
Will take all stuff and papers I got with PC. Everything is in perfect condition. It's two months old only.
I've paid by credit card but not sure if fully understand your last sentence.

Go back to that website link and read again. I bet it says:-

If you paid by debit or credit card...You may be able to get your money … If you paid by debit or credit card...You may be able to get your money back through your bank if the seller’s refusing and you paid by debit or credit card.If you paid by credit card and the item cost more than £100, it may be easier to tell your bank you want to ‘make a section 75 claim’. It’s another way to get your money back.

But only do this if Currys refuse to give you your money back and tell them you will do this. Many retailers do not like having black marks against them from credit card companies.
Of course Currys will claim off lenovo and if not satisfied I guess they will stop selling that product and maybe more besides. Its all business.
Edited by: "tardytortoise" 4th Mar 2016
Original Poster
Lovely. Didn't read everything on the website yet as working now. Will read it to bits at home. But this is massively good piece of advice. Thanks.
As said before. I'll come back to topic after my visit in currys. Hopefully it will go smooth and hassle free

Thanks a lot.
Original Poster
If anyone is interested. They simply replaced PC at PC World. I could pick up whatewer I wanted for the same price. Took same one (was £100 more expensive but as it was replacement I didn't pay a penny).
M015T

If anyone is interested. They simply replaced PC at PC World. I could … If anyone is interested. They simply replaced PC at PC World. I could pick up whatewer I wanted for the same price. Took same one (was £100 more expensive but as it was replacement I didn't pay a penny).

Glad to here the advice proved useful.
Original Poster
tardytortoise

Glad to here the advice proved useful.

I was ready to argue and fight over there but as soon as customer service sent me to manager everything went smooth. He simply have asked me which one I want...

Thanks for all advices
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants