Lenovo L340 ssd upgrade

Posted 11th May
So I brought a Lenovo l340 but got the 1tb hdd hard drive but want to upgrade to ssd. Where do I start what do I buy and which is better? I’ve looked at Samsung 860 evo 500gb sata or Samsung 970 evo plus 500gb nvme if I’m right. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

11 Comments
Crucial has a good scanner on their website to tell you what are the compatible upgrades for your machine. No obligation to buy anything from Crucial. link

Another tool to use is CPU-Z.
bozo00711/05/2020 10:55

Crucial has a good scanner on their website to tell you what are the …Crucial has a good scanner on their website to tell you what are the compatible upgrades for your machine. No obligation to buy anything from Crucial. linkAnother tool to use is CPU-Z.

I checked crucial only showed there branded hard drives unless I missed something that they do other brands
i would not go for the nvme, I would recommend the 860 evo.
Thumbs up for the Samsung Evo, it's what I put in my ancient Lenovo and it completely revived the machine, performs acceptably for office tasks, media and browsing.
Edited by: "harrythefish" 11th May
harrythefish11/05/2020 11:05

Thumbs up for the Samsung Evo, it's what I put in my ancient Lenovo and it …Thumbs up for the Samsung Evo, it's what I put in my ancient Lenovo and it completely revived the machine, performs acceptably for office tasks, media and browsing.

it is basically like a whole new computer.
harrythefish11/05/2020 11:05

Thumbs up for the Samsung Evo, it's what I put in my ancient Lenovo and it …Thumbs up for the Samsung Evo, it's what I put in my ancient Lenovo and it completely revived the machine, performs acceptably for office tasks, media and browsing.

Easy to do your self? Transferring from hdd to sdd then fitting it into laptop? Thanks
George20019111/05/2020 11:15

Easy to do your self? Transferring from hdd to sdd then fitting it into …Easy to do your self? Transferring from hdd to sdd then fitting it into laptop? Thanks

very easy, the samsung transfer software is extremely intuitive and the actual physical transfer is as simple as unscrewing a few screws, however the sata cable may take a bit of force to pull out of the hard drive, make sure to buy a usb to sata (only if you are migrating files)
Personally I would just put a fresh install of Windows on the SSD, you've only just got the machine so won't be any files to keep surely. Just create an installation media on a usb and install from there.

Swapping the HDD out looks fairly simple.

Edited by: "MichyM" 11th May
George20019111/05/2020 10:59

I checked crucial only showed there branded hard drives unless I missed …I checked crucial only showed there branded hard drives unless I missed something that they do other brands

My point was that the scanner will tell you what hardware you need to buy, like exact memory type or SSD.
Personally would nvme SSD.

m.2 sata SSD is not that much cheaper.
Adata SX8200 Pro usually good value for its performance.

George20019111/05/2020 10:59

I checked crucial only showed there branded hard drives unless I missed …I checked crucial only showed there branded hard drives unless I missed something that they do other brands

This was just posted hotukdeals.com/dea…851 good at £28 delivered for a 256GB.
Edited by: "harrythefish" 13th May
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions