Lenovo T420 screen replacement

Posted 19th Apr
Hi. How easy is it to upgrade a Lenovo T420 screen & any suggestions please? Just bought one & the 14.1” 1366 x 768 screen isn’t overly good. Around how much would it cost?
Thanks all.
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

19 Comments
Buy a replacement screen from ebay and watch a youtube tutorial. Looks easy and straightforward to do.
Edited by: "I_Wish" 19th Apr
I_Wish19/04/2020 21:49

Buy a replacement screen from ebay and watch a youtube tutorial. Looks …Buy a replacement screen from ebay and watch a youtube tutorial. Looks easy and straightforward to do.

Ok. Bought laptop as cheap & easily upgradeable so I’ve read though I haven’t done anything like this before. But screen seems bit blurry when compared to a newer Asus laptop I have with a broken keyboard & a pixel damaged screen.
Edited by: "steve765" 19th Apr
steve76519/04/2020 22:00

Ok. Bought laptop as cheap & easily upgradeable so I’ve read though I h …Ok. Bought laptop as cheap & easily upgradeable so I’ve read though I haven’t done anything like this before. But screen seems bit blurry when compared to a newer Asus laptop I have with a broken keyboard & a pixel damaged screen.

Any time there's a youtube tutorial to follow then everything becomes a lot easier. To replace your screen is very easy.
I_Wish19/04/2020 22:03

Any time there's a youtube tutorial to follow then everything becomes a …Any time there's a youtube tutorial to follow then everything becomes a lot easier. To replace your screen is very easy.

Ok. Thanks.
Bought with a 1 year warranty from newandusedlaptops4u
Hope by doing this it doesn’t invalidate the warranty?
You bought a used laptop and you want to replace the screen (£36.76). Are you sure you don't want to return the laptop instead. It's 2000 now, I probably would've went for a 5th gen laptop, and not a 2nd gen.
I_Wish19/04/2020 22:11

You bought a used laptop and you want to replace the screen (£36.76). Are …You bought a used laptop and you want to replace the screen (£36.76). Are you sure you don't want to return the laptop instead. It's 2000 now, I probably would've went for a 5th gen laptop, and not a 2nd gen.

I thought it was a good deal & easily upgradeable.
Thinkpad T420 i5 2.50Ghz 4GB Ram 128GB SSD. £139.99. Windows 10.

Has been just over 30 days since purchased so might not take it back.

With a better screen it seems useable. I didn’t know what the screen clarity was like when I ordered the item.
steve76519/04/2020 22:20

I thought it was a good deal & easily upgradeable. Thinkpad T420 i5 …I thought it was a good deal & easily upgradeable. Thinkpad T420 i5 2.50Ghz 4GB Ram 128GB SSD. £139.99. Windows 10. Has been just over 30 days since purchased so might not take it back.With a better screen it seems useable. I didn’t know what the screen clarity was like when I ordered the item.

This recently got sold out click, it's a 6th Gen i5 8GB RAM 256GB SSD. In comparison your laptop isn't a good deal. £13 more gets FHD screen as well.
I_Wish19/04/2020 22:25

This recently got sold out click, it's a 6th Gen i5 8GB RAM 256GB SSD. In …This recently got sold out click, it's a 6th Gen i5 8GB RAM 256GB SSD. In comparison your laptop isn't a good deal. £13 more gets FHD screen as well.

Ok fair point maybe I should send it back then 30 days is today actually. Would need to pay return postage.

I did briefly look at that seller but the warranty is only 90 days so wasn’t sure about them as it is effectively a refurbished product.

Seems to be more wear/possible damage on that one then one received by their description too.
steve76519/04/2020 22:33

Ok fair point maybe I should send it back then 30 days is today actually. …Ok fair point maybe I should send it back then 30 days is today actually. Would need to pay return postage.

All I'm saying is you just bought a used laptop and you're thinking about replacing the screen, which will cost you £36 on top....Doesn't make sense. Only makes sense if you bought that laptop dirt cheap., but you didn't.
I_Wish19/04/2020 22:39

All I'm saying is you just bought a used laptop and you're thinking about …All I'm saying is you just bought a used laptop and you're thinking about replacing the screen, which will cost you £36 on top....Doesn't make sense. Only makes sense if you bought that laptop dirt cheap., but you didn't.

Ok. That’s what happens I guess when buying my 1st refurb computer. Maybe I should just send it back & cut my losses (return postage). The screens just not as clear as I thought it would be that’s all. Maybe I was expecting too much as it is an older computer.
steve76519/04/2020 22:41

Ok. That’s what happens I guess when buying my 1st refurb computer. Maybe I …Ok. That’s what happens I guess when buying my 1st refurb computer. Maybe I should just send it back & cut my losses (return postage). The screens just not as clear as I thought it would be that’s all. Maybe I was expecting too much as it is an older computer.

Return postage is free is you paid by Paypal click.
Just looked at it again & it’s ok I guess. Think it’s because the screen is ever so slightly smaller than the one I have been using which makes the icon descriptions smaller. It’s ok. Bought it as was a cheaper alternative than a brand new laptop & tbh its better being able to see the whole screen & not having to use a USB keyboard.
No paid by credit card. So I would be covered if anything went wrong with it. Sellers return period says 30 days.
Starting to wish I hadn’t bothered now.
A screen replacement may not necessarily fix the problem.
Further diagnosis is required before concluding what the problem is. A number of other things need to be ruled out. Is it bright before the Windows OS kicks in? Is the BIOS screen bright?
I have replaced an inverter before on an older Lenovo but your T420 does not have an inverter.
take a look at these 2 links - but there are many others by searching net

forums.lenovo.com/t5/…987

forums.lenovo.com/t5/…700

Would an attached external monitor be any good for you?

I agree though - throwing good money after bad is not a good idea. In my view though an old T420 is a good machine and your spec is v.good. But yes you paid too much.
I would be very tempted to try a live linux usb on it - just to see how it performed and whether it could tweak the display to something acceptable.
tardytortoise20/04/2020 12:06

A screen replacement may not necessarily fix the problem.Further diagnosis …A screen replacement may not necessarily fix the problem.Further diagnosis is required before concluding what the problem is. A number of other things need to be ruled out. Is it bright before the Windows OS kicks in? Is the BIOS screen bright?I have replaced an inverter before on an older Lenovo but your T420 does not have an inverter.take a look at these 2 links - but there are many others by searching nethttps://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-T400-T500-and-newer-T/T420-Dim-Screen-primary-and-secondary-contrast-or-brightness/td-p/430987https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-T400-T500-and-newer-T/T420-very-dim-screen-motherboard-checked-LCD-and-LCD-cable/td-p/3350700Would an attached external monitor be any good for you?I agree though - throwing good money after bad is not a good idea. In my view though an old T420 is a good machine and your spec is v.good. But yes you paid too much.I would be very tempted to try a live linux usb on it - just to see how it performed and whether it could tweak the display to something acceptable.

Thanks.
I think I’ll send it back & look for a better deal elsewhere. I think the screen is likely ok just not as useable/readable (for my ‘getting older’ eyes) as I was expecting it to be. Like I said screen is v.slightly smaller than I have been used to.

Why is this one below such a good deal? I can’t see straight away myself. Better specs yes but also more expensive than I paid.

hotukdeals.com/deals/lenovo-ideapad-3-15-laptop-ryzen-5-3500u-8gb-ram-256gb-ssd-fhd-free-dos-26729-with-newsletter-signup-at-lenovo-3445328
Edited by: "steve765" 20th Apr
Anyone why is this deal such a good deal to what I purchased ??

Thinkpad T420 i5 2.50Ghz 4GB Ram 128GB SSD. £139.99.

hotukdeals.com/
deals/lenovo-ideapad-3-15-laptop-ryzen-5-3500u-8gb-ram-256gb-ssd-fhd-free-dos-26729-with-newsletter-signup-at-lenovo-3445328

Better specs yes, but also more expensive.
steve76520/04/2020 18:49

Anyone why is this deal such a good deal to what I purchased ??Thinkpad …Anyone why is this deal such a good deal to what I purchased ??Thinkpad T420 i5 2.50Ghz 4GB Ram 128GB SSD. £139.99.https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/lenovo-ideapad-3-15-laptop-ryzen-5-3500u-8gb-ram-256gb-ssd-fhd-free-dos-26729-with-newsletter-signup-at-lenovo-3445328Better specs yes, but also more expensive.

Because for sub £300 you're getting a new laptop with 8GB, 256GB SSD, FHD (TN panel though). That CPU is decent click, it's twice more powerful than the i5-2520M in your laptop, it's equivalent to an 8th gen i5. You can even do light gaming with the iGPU click.
Edited by: "I_Wish" 21st Apr
I_Wish21/04/2020 13:21

Because for sub £300 you're getting a new laptop with 8GB, 256GB SSD, FHD …Because for sub £300 you're getting a new laptop with 8GB, 256GB SSD, FHD (TN panel though). That CPU is decent click, it's twice more powerful than the i5-2520M in your laptop, it's equivalent to an 8th gen i5. You can even do light gaming with the iGPU click.

Ok thanks. Have decided to return it & make a careful ‘’informed’ choice what to buy instead.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions