Lens cap cover for Canon Rebel T1i and advice for a new amateur photographer

Posted 28th Apr
Can anyone recommend a lens cap
Cover for the above. I do have a 58mm UV filter on, not really after a cheap china one.

If anyone can recommend that would be a great help and what new UV filter most amateur photographers go for. Think I am due a new one as this one seems a little worse for wear.

All help for a new photographer would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

8 Comments
When it comes to lens cap covers there isn’t actually that much difference between the generic cheap unbranded ones and the genuine ones, apart from the logo they both do exactly the same job. I’ve bought several generic ones over the years and never had a problem with them. As for a UV filter Hoya ones are fine and reasonably priced.
Haircut_10028/04/2020 14:35

When it comes to lens cap covers there isn’t actually that much difference …When it comes to lens cap covers there isn’t actually that much difference between the generic cheap unbranded ones and the genuine ones, apart from the logo they both do exactly the same job. I’ve bought several generic ones over the years and never had a problem with them. As for a UV filter Hoya ones are fine and reasonably priced.

Thanks
Agree with post 1
I wouldn't bother using a UV filter at all.
If you want to protect the glass elements of your lens (which is all a UV filter is good for in digital photography), use the lens cap when the camera is not in use and a lens hood when taking photos.
Derek_Fortescue_Shatwell28/04/2020 16:59

I wouldn't bother using a UV filter at all.If you want to protect the …I wouldn't bother using a UV filter at all.If you want to protect the glass elements of your lens (which is all a UV filter is good for in digital photography), use the lens cap when the camera is not in use and a lens hood when taking photos.

Any preferences for a lens hood you would recommend? Thanks
justonemore28/04/2020 17:43

Just the one that comes with the lens. It is designed to fit the lens and to shade it from external light sources and not cause any vignetting.
justonemore28/04/2020 17:43

With a lens hood you just buy whichever one is designed for your lens by the manufacturer. With regards to the UV filter some people swear by using them on the grounds that use if you knock your lens it's better to break a £12 filter than the actual lens glass itself. Personally I've never bothered with one myself though I do very often have a circular polariser attached to my lenses.
Haircut_10028/04/2020 18:59

With a lens hood you just buy whichever one is designed for your lens by …With a lens hood you just buy whichever one is designed for your lens by the manufacturer. With regards to the UV filter some people swear by using them on the grounds that use if you knock your lens it's better to break a £12 filter than the actual lens glass itself. Personally I've never bothered with one myself though I do very often have a circular polariser attached to my lenses.

Thank you to everyone. Is there anything you should use when cleaning your lens? And I’m worried that when I have taken the lens off dust may have got to the other side of then lens that connects to the camera. What is the best to use? Thanks again to everyone
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions