Lenses for glasses

Posted 5th Jul
Is 1.74 still the thinnest (plastic) lenses option for glasses? Not sure of my exact prescription but I need super chunky lenses, which I obviously do not like! I can't wear contacts and have thought about the eye surgery, so just answers regarding the lenses please! Thank you so much.
Community Updates
Ask
7 Comments
You can get 1.67
I too suffer with coke bottle lenses!
fearghalg05/07/2020 20:08

You can get 1.67I too suffer with coke bottle lenses!

Are they thinner then? Thought they were thicker! My bad!
simonpriest05/07/2020 20:09

Are they thinner then? Thought they were thicker! My bad!

No you’re right. I made the assumption and AGAIN was wrong. So that means 1.74 is thinnest. I have 1.74 but the edges are still fairly wide. I tend to go with semi rimless glasses to reduce a bit of weight.
The higher the refractive index the thinner the lens. You can get 1.8 and 1.9 in glass. Although the lens is more durable it will be heavier and will shatter if dropped
Frame wise don’t go too big as the lens will be thicker. Smaller the better (within reason)
Edited by: "maionline1" 5th Jul
maionline105/07/2020 21:19

The higher the refractive index the thinner the lens. You can get 1.8 and …The higher the refractive index the thinner the lens. You can get 1.8 and 1.9 in glass. Although the lens is more durable it will be heavier and will shatter if droppedFrame wise don’t go too big as the lens will be thicker. Smaller the better (within reason)

Any idea on price difference between glass and plastic?
Most high street places stick with plastic. If you push for glass they can order in for you. Not 100% sure of the prices atm. Looking at a few hundred with a frame I think. Ring around some local opticians and I’m sure they’ll be happy to help. It’s not a commonly sold lens material so they may have to get back to you with a more accurate price
Are you short-sighted (Myopic - Numbers)? If so to reduce lens thickness, (dependent on prescription) try purchasing smaller, rounder frames or shape. An optician or manufacturer usually buys a circular lens blanc (55mm,60mm,70mm etc in diameter) and cuts to shape and design. Of course there are many variables that affect the position on where the lens is cut (i.e. Astigmatism and axis), but it's possible to improve aesthetics through other techniques. An Optician or manufacturer would give you advice.
Post a comment
@
    Text