Groups

Let down by a tour operator - what can I do?

Hi all,

I recently went on a holiday operated by Olympic and the hotel was not up the standard that was advertised (supposed to be a 5 star and room was more of a 2 star!). We also put in a couple of requests which they noted and I also emailed the hotel directly and they confirmed that those requests would be honoured (one of them was a non-smoking room for health reasons as I'm pregnant). Unfortunately they weren't honoured.

There were at least 5 or 6 other couples/families who had the same complaints as us so we know it wasn't just us.

I wrote a letter of complaint to Olympic and included photos to back up my claim. Their reply basically refered us to their Terms and Conditions which say:

"Special requests: If you have any special request, which is not mentioned in connection with the arrangements described on this website (for example dietary requirements or a need for special assistance) please inform us. We will always do our best to meet such requests but cannot guarantee to do so, and in no circumstances will any such request be accepted by us so as to form part of our contractual obligations."

As for the hotel standards, they're standing by their claim that it meets the correct standards.

I just need some advice... do I have a leg to stand on???

10 Comments

write another letter, and this time include one that you are going to send to the holiday watchdog, and tell them that you are unhappy with olympics service

What an awful shame to be faced with that, there is nothing worse than saving up all year to have a great holiday only to be let down like this.

I have been in your position myself and I had to write about 3 times before I got any joy. I eventually got an apology and a large discount off my next holiday, which was the best I could get out of them.

I would suggest another letter and tell them that you will approach trading standards and holiday watchdog, and post your reviews on holiday review sights, as they are a UK based company. I would also ask the question as to when was the hotel last inspected by one of their marking people to check on the standard, as the holiday company themselves will be paying the hotel for what they believe to be 5 star, so in fairness the holiday company are being mislead too.

I would certainly continue as the terms and conditions are nothing to do with the standard advertised.

I have found in the past that the first letter is directed to a team of people who simply issue a standard reply letter to all, where as if it goes further maybe it will go to someone higher maybe?

I would also approach the agent you booked your holiday through and ask their advice. I have also found that being hostile with these people gets you know where and it is much better to approach it in a manner of 'you would feel the same as me' if you know what I mean.

Hope this helps a little, good luck

Banned

name the hotel & location

Original Poster

Thanks for all your replies, I will def write them another letter.

It was the Pyramisa Isis in Luxor. Oh and if you look at the reviews online they're mixed and everyone suggests upgrading to a Nile View room which we did, but the standard was still ****! Let's just say that the bathrooms were so badly maintained that we and other guests found 'questionable hairs' there - yuk!!!

Any chance you paid via credit card, if so maybe a chat to them as to your options, as they are/may also be liable under consumer credit act. S of G 'not as described' seems to fit here and if you can(?) contact the other couples this will strenghten your case.

Original Poster

Yeah we paid by credit card and also have the contact details of one of the women who was in our group... will explore this option too.
    Thanks!

I personally know your wasting your time... sorry.

The harsh reality is, if the terms and conditions stated that at the time of booking then theres nothing you can do. It clearly says that they will try but they have a great get out clause there. In all fareness you can give them a list as long as your arm of special requirements and they can just chuck them in the bin. What a statement like that does is give you hope that they will do something when in fact they dont even have to try.

Regarding the hotel rating. Im sorry but your opinion means nothing to Olympic or the law. If it was rated as a 5 star when you booked and it was offically a 5 star when you got there, then you havent got a leg to stand on.

I know its awful when you get there when you have such high hopes and then your room turns out to be a dump, and stinks and theres mold in your bathroom and peoples pubic hairs in the bath, and used ear buds under the bed etc etc.

Ive been there and even went to court but it got me no where because the law is an ass. I was even threatened with 'I have no problems in cancelling your reservation and having you thrown out' by Rachael at Alpharooms.com whilst I was in spain on my holiday from hell. That statement most certainly ruined my holiday but I still got nothing as they had supplied me with the hotel I had booked. There was obviously more to it than that, but that was the most shocking part of it. I still to this day cant believe she said it.

If I was you I would just forget it and move on. Tell your friends and family not to book with Olympic and write your own reviews on the net. Your best hope is like me, that someone will take note of what your saying and spend there money somewhere else. Hurt them where it really hurts.

Banned

too late now but this is a good site for getting resort / hotel reviews

holiday-truth.com/hol…el/

apduk;3849409

I personally know your wasting your time... sorry.The harsh reality is, … I personally know your wasting your time... sorry.The harsh reality is, if the terms and conditions stated that at the time of booking then theres nothing you can do. It clearly says that they will try but they have a great get out clause there. In all fareness you can give them a list as long as your arm of special requirements and they can just chuck them in the bin. What a statement like that does is give you hope that they will do something when in fact they dont even have to try.Regarding the hotel rating. Im sorry but your opinion means nothing to Olympic or the law. If it was rated as a 5 star when you booked and it was offically a 5 star when you got there, then you havent got a leg to stand on. I know its awful when you get there when you have such high hopes and then your room turns out to be a dump, and stinks and theres mold in your bathroom and peoples pubic hairs in the bath, and used ear buds under the bed etc etc.Ive been there and even went to court but it got me no where because the law is an ass. I was even threatened with 'I have no problems in cancelling your reservation and having you thrown out' by Rachael at Alpharooms.com whilst I was in spain on my holiday from hell. That statement most certainly ruined my holiday but I still got nothing as they had supplied me with the hotel I had booked. There was obviously more to it than that, but that was the most shocking part of it. I still to this day cant believe she said it. If I was you I would just forget it and move on. Tell your friends and family not to book with Olympic and write your own reviews on the net. Your best hope is like me, that someone will take note of what your saying and spend there money somewhere else. Hurt them where it really hurts.

Well that's the last time i'll be booking throught them. Personally i've never had any problems with any of my bookings but I won't spend my money with someone who treats their customers like that. Thanks for the heads up!
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Budget gaming pc with capability of overclock ?37
      2. Cracked windscreen, is it safe and legal to drive?1318
      3. Should I buy brand new wd drive without warranty on ebay22
      4. Recommendations for decent/cheap noise cancelling earphones please22

See more discussions