Let shops be shut on boxing day

67 replies
Found 26th Dec 2014
I'm fed up of seeing people queuing outside shops to get a 'bargain' on boxing day. It was not that long ago when all shops were shut on boxing day. let's bring that back and let retail workers have two days off in a row in a year. The Internet is there so people can still get online bargains which are more fun to find and open to everyone not matter where they live. then maybe we might get people to remember that christmas is about family time.

sign this e petition if you want retail workers to get a break and force retailers to have stores shut on boxing day.

epetitions.direct.gov.uk/pet…648

Shared Via The HUKD App For Android.

67 Comments

More chance of dolphins ruling the world next year than shops reverting back to being closed on Boxing day.

I don't think any government would choose an extra day off over improving the economy
Edited by: "drasim" 26th Dec 2014

Tesco is shut here today
I for one would certainly like to see all larger shops shut on Christmas day,New years day and Easter Sunday

i think shops should open on christmas day and also public transport.

rediculous that everything comes to a stand still on christmas day. thank god the internet does not stop working on the day!

Banned

I like the idea.

All the shops closed or everyone returns to work.

That's what society expects today, no petition is going to reverse it.

It's far more likely to go the other way, 24 hours a day 365 days a year.

mutley1

i think shops should open on christmas day and also public … i think shops should open on christmas day and also public transport.rediculous that everything comes to a stand still on christmas day. thank god the internet does not stop working on the day!

I agree.

Certainly no need for everything to shut down on a Boxing Day thats for sure.

Banned

shops have a hard enough time again the internet as it is, without missing out on one of the busiest days of the year

I think it's pathetic that some people can't go 2 days without shopping. Probably the black Friday Polaroid TV crowd. Give people a break, let them be with their families, we all work like dogs for the rest of the year. And for the shoppers, take a break from your own greed, it might do you good.

Just don't go shopping on boxing day; issue resolved.

Original Poster

spaceinvader

I think it's pathetic that some people can't go 2 days without shopping. … I think it's pathetic that some people can't go 2 days without shopping. Probably the black Friday Polaroid TV crowd. Give people a break, let them be with their families, we all work like dogs for the rest of the year. And for the shoppers, take a break from your own greed, it might do you good.

I agree. how sad, desperate and selfish are people!

Banned

whatsThePoint

shops have a hard enough time again the internet as it is, without … shops have a hard enough time again the internet as it is, without missing out on one of the busiest days of the year

You were at work I assume?

Original Poster

teh arn

Just don't go shopping on boxing day; issue resolved.

I would b agree on that but until the shops are shut, some unfortunate person has to be working. that's why they need to be shut.

theworkingdead

It's far more likely to go the other way, 24 hours a day 365 days a year.

...No day of the year is any different than any other day of the year.
...Public Holidays are no longer private holidays.
...Christmas no longer feels special.

Hang on... hasn't that already started (this year)? Many people were suggesting a couple of days ago that "it doesn't feel like Christmas".

Perhaps the decline has already happened.

Celebrating a fictional account of "the son of [a] God" being born is no different to, say, celebrating the birth of lauded literary characters such as Harry Potter, or Doctor Who, or James Bond.

its a disease

what would you do with your day if everyone were off work?
there would no electricity or running water by the way as those things need human intervention in order to keep your supply flowing

or is it just the retail sector you have an issue with?

soziagal

I would b agree on that but until the shops are shut, some unfortunate … I would b agree on that but until the shops are shut, some unfortunate person has to be working. that's why they need to be shut.

Edited by: "Dark.Energy" 26th Dec 2014

I agree, all the hassle for 1 day. I think all shops should close for at least 2 days, feel sorry for the people that have to work. That's why it doesn't feel like Xmas anymore.

soziagal

I would b agree on that but until the shops are shut, some unfortunate … I would b agree on that but until the shops are shut, some unfortunate person has to be working. that's why they need to be shut.

Many of them will be getting paid extra and many of them will choose to work boxing day.

Not everyone celebrates Christmas.

I'd happily work both for extra money if I was given that opportunity.

Banned

toshapetriji

You were at work I assume?

no I'm in because all the local shops are shut

fanpages

...No day of the year is any different than any other day of the … ...No day of the year is any different than any other day of the year....Public Holidays are no longer private holidays....Christmas no longer feels special.Hang on... hasn't that already started (this year)? Many people were suggesting a couple of days ago that "it doesn't feel like Christmas".Perhaps the decline has already happened.Celebrating a fictional account of "the son of [a] God" being born is no different to, say, celebrating the birth of lauded literary characters such as Harry Potter, or Doctor Who, or James Bond.

I'd celebrate the birth of Bond.

Not that much happens in November anyway.

It is just typical British greed on the part of UK businesses ....most European shops do not open on Sundays ( apart from tourist area's ) and they seem to manage OK.

Sadly, the same greedy businesses do not feel the need to share their gains with their poor employees, who they seem to treat like dirt.

Banned

DarkEnergy2012

what would do with your day if everyone were off work...there would no … what would do with your day if everyone were off work...there would no electricity or running water by the way as those things need human intervention in order to keep your supply flowingor is it just the retail sector you have an issue with

electricity or running water etc are essentials, you don't get many national emergencies because a shop is shut

Original Poster

teh arn

Many of them will be getting paid extra and many of them will choose to … Many of them will be getting paid extra and many of them will choose to work boxing day.Not everyone celebrates Christmas.I'd happily work both for extra money if I was given that opportunity.

they don't get a choice, rotas are how they are decided. There are never enough people who volunteer to work.the people who celebrate Christmas can't say sorry I can't work today, they are forced to work in the shop. You also can't take it as a hoilday day off, the workers are forced to work it. most retail workers can't take any hoilday in the whole of December either. you clearly live in a bubble.

and people used to get up to 3x their pay, however now it time in lieu as it's seen as less special, thanksnto shoppers runing christmas. its sad.

DarkEnergy2012

what would do with your day if everyone were off work...there would no … what would do with your day if everyone were off work...there would no electricity or running water by the way as those things need human intervention in order to keep your supply flowingor is it just the retail sector you have an issue with

And god help you if you had a bad accident, or a fire or needed police assistance.
I work in retail and my mother works in the NHS, I got Xmas eve and Xmas day nights off, she had to work them.
There's a difference though between vital services and being able to buy a loaf of bread or a bargain TV.

Banned

Inactive

It is just typical British greed on the part of UK businesses ....most … It is just typical British greed on the part of UK businesses ....most European shops do not open on Sundays ( apart from tourist area's ) and they seem to manage OK.Sadly, the same greedy businesses do not feel the need to share their gains with their poor employees, who they seem to treat like dirt.

do they not have any empty shops in Europe?

teh arn

Many of them will be getting paid extra and many of them will choose to … Many of them will be getting paid extra and many of them will choose to work boxing day.Not everyone celebrates Christmas.I'd happily work both for extra money if I was given that opportunity.

Done this myself before I had kids, worked it to guarantee New Years off too.

DarkEnergy2012

Don't forget people 'working' at reporting the news
theguardian.com/med…-tv
X)

Banned

don't forget all the unpaid workers who post deals on this site, they didn't even get yesterday off

soziagal

they don't get a choice, rotas are how they are decided. There are never … they don't get a choice, rotas are how they are decided. There are never enough people who volunteer to work.the people who celebrate Christmas can't say sorry I can't work today, they are forced to work in the shop. You also can't take it as a hoilday day off, the workers are forced to work it. most retail workers can't take any hoilday in the whole of December either. you clearly live in a bubble. and people used to get up to 3x their pay, however now it time in lieu as it's seen as less special, thanksnto shoppers runing christmas. its sad.

Many do get a choice.......

Where's this bubble in which I live?

We never had a rota when I used to work in a supermarket; your days and hours worked were set in your contract. e.g. I used to work Tuesdays and Wednesdays 6-10 and Sundays 10-6.

whatsThePoint

do they not have any empty shops in Europe?

No more than in our High Streets.

Banned

Inactive

No more than in our High Streets.

so they aren't coping either

I think shops should open on christmas day and also public transport. … I think shops should open on christmas day and also public transport. rediculous that everything comes to a stand still on christmas day. thank god the internet does not stop working on the day!

Try working in retail upto and beyond Christmas. Three months of being bombarded with the typical mindless Christmas songs in the background, whilst working long hours, in a stressful environment with no little to no breaks. Being threatened, insulted, and verbally abused as the Customers having a bad day, vent their frustration at the staff who must smile, and accept the rebuttal knowing they're unable to assist them satisfactorily due to time constraints or company policies. Breaking countless health and safety rules, lifting or placing stock on to the shelves double quick time, maybe accidentally hurting yourself in the process.

Once the rush has finished, on Christmas Eve working late marking, and placing reduced stock for the Box Day sales. Then tired, exhausted and thoroughly fed up with Christmas, try celebrate the occasion knowing full well back in two days you'd be back at the store. All for a minimum wage, and asking why do you bother?

P.S. Many other professions (Nurses, Doctors, Cleaners, Care workers etc) also have the thankless task of working over the Christmas (including the actual day) period as well.
Edited by: "nemesiz" 26th Dec 2014

Original Poster

teh arn

Many do get a choice.......Where's this bubble in which I live?We never … Many do get a choice.......Where's this bubble in which I live?We never had a rota when I used to work in a supermarket; your days and hours worked were set in your contract. e.g. I used to work Tuesdays and Wednesdays 6-10 and Sundays 10-6.

well clearly you were fortunate, however that isn't say how department stores or other retail shops work. With two family members forced to work today I know they don't get a choice and are on a rota to work to make sure the selfish shoppers can get their 'bargains'. which they could buy online or wait till tomorrow to buy.

They do have a choice get a job elsewhere plenty of sectors like banking that do not work Boxing Day

I have just been to Tesco to take a present back to swap and it was closed! I was quite pleased really as I can't stand crowds ....

OP you also tell people to buy online. You do realise real people keep these sites running not magical elves , shouldn't these people be allowed time off as well?

soziagal

well clearly you were fortunate, however that isn't say how department … well clearly you were fortunate, however that isn't say how department stores or other retail shops work. With two family members forced to work today I know they don't get a choice and are on a rota to work to make sure the selfish shoppers can get their 'bargains'. which they could buy online or wait till tomorrow to buy.

Problem is you're saying ALL workers are forced to work today; they're not.
Many do work.

This is a stupid idea.

What about those that rely on this money? Those that want to work today?
You're just basing what happens on your two family members and trying to apply that to everyone; it's a flawed way of thinking.

They're not selfish for wanting to buy things.
Why not wait until tomorrow?
Why not get tomorrow off too; why not wait until next month to buy things?

They do have a choice get a job elsewhere plenty of sectors like banking … They do have a choice get a job elsewhere plenty of sectors like banking that do not work Boxing Day

Is this the Banking sector who are making massive redundancies due to cost cutting, introducing new working practices, and lately replacing staff with self-service machines?
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. The HUKD Wuntu code sharing thread! (Three Mobile)96194
    2. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7769271
    3. Rewview sites22
    4. Add one, leave one game54315405

See more discussions