Lets help each other get through this

Posted 18th Mar
so, went Asda earlier to do the weekly shop.
i knew i was gonna struggle but didn't realise how bad it had got.
there was no bread or milk, no eggs or baked beans, I dont need to go on as we all know the situation.
anyway, down the crisps isle i USUALLY take advantage of the 3 multi bags of crisps for £3.50 but the isle was empty apart from 2 bags on the top shelf, as im quite tall (6' 3") i could see and reach the last 2 bags out of reach of others.
i put them into my trolly and as i did i saw a lady about 30 years old looking i to my trolly.
i took 1 multi bag out and asked her if she wanted 1 and she smiled and said no.
i then said to my daughter, put 1 back, we only need 1.
we put 1 back and within seconds someone picked it up.
i felt good for putting 1 back but at the same time, shouldn't have picked 2 up in the first place !
after we paid i then needed to find some milk.
i phoned my brother who informed me that his local corner shop had PLENTY .
i drove the 4 miles and the shop did indeed have lots, so i brought every single bottle in the shop ! no, i didn't, i brought 1 bottle because i only needed 1 bottle.
so please, lets think of others, theres plenty to go around if we only buy what we need.
think of others, think of the elderly that fought WW2 for us ! let them enjoy the last few years of their lives and lets not include them i this war.
lets make sure they can enjoy a cup of tea and toast every morning.
i know the superstores are opening special times for them but they shouldn't have to !
so tomorrow if you are low on something and you do manage to find a store with what you need, just buy 1, as 1 is all you need.
thank you
Community Updates
Misc
Top comments
This panic buying virus is worse than COVID-19...
Went into my local co-op looking for flour today as I’d promised my daughters we’d do some baking at the weekend...the shelves where the flour should have been were completely bare.

I asked the shop assistant when they would be replenished...she responded “We’re getting deliveries all the time - there is absolutely no need for people to be panic-buying, but when you tell them that, they don’t seem to listen nor understand”.

Just relax people! Please buy only what you need!
Edited by: "Curlyman83" 18th Mar
MR112319/03/2020 07:19

Something tells me people will be wasting a lot of food. They've been …Something tells me people will be wasting a lot of food. They've been buying stuff they wouldn't usually buy like big bags of flour 10-20kg because it's the last thing on the shelf yes I know some buy them before this happened but I'm not talking about them. They bought this as a just incase purchase but they won't get around to using it when they see the supermarket go back to normal stock.

this may be true. I bought two bags of bread flour a couple of weeks ago before things went mad. They have a sell by date of 2021 and the truth is I would have bought that much bread flour in that timescale anyway because I often make my own bread. Is that stockpiling? I've plenty of loo rolls etc, in fact I have some away yesterday to a friend who has been ill and couldn't get to the shops. Do I stockpile? Yes. Do I panic buy? No. I buy stuff when it's on offer which I can because I have storage space. I haven't bought loo roll for months so it isn't me causing this run on the stuff. I hate waste. I plan menus a week in advance to make sure I maximize the ingredients I have. Very rare food gets chucked out in this house.
Rune_2H19/03/2020 00:52

Comment deleted

It's not about the stores policing how much items one person can buy..I think you missed the whole point of this post....Some CONSIDERATION FOR OTHERS!!!
68 Comments
Went into my local co-op looking for flour today as I’d promised my daughters we’d do some baking at the weekend...the shelves where the flour should have been were completely bare.

I asked the shop assistant when they would be replenished...she responded “We’re getting deliveries all the time - there is absolutely no need for people to be panic-buying, but when you tell them that, they don’t seem to listen nor understand”.

Just relax people! Please buy only what you need!
Edited by: "Curlyman83" 18th Mar
Curlyman8318/03/2020 23:50

Went into my local co-op looking for flour today as I’d promised my d …Went into my local co-op looking for flour today as I’d promised my daughters we’d do some baking at the weekend...the shelves where the flour should have been were completely bare.I asked the shop assistant when they would be replenished...she responded “We’re getting deliveries all the time - there is absolutely no need for people to be panic-buying, but when you tell them that, they don’t seem to listen nor understand”.Just relax people! Please buy only what you need!

I bought a flour and was overcharged in Asda at this time they didn't move to the flour yet, I put it away in my house so on my next visit I'll go to customer services and get a refund. Then by never seeing any flour again I thought I'd rather keep it.
Unfortunately it’s like asking a scalper on here not to buy 100 items when a glitch pops up, it is what it is. There will always be people who don’t think of anyone but themselves. This is the world we live in, the situation is a big unknown for almost everybody. No one can say for certain that stock will keep coming, we certainly don’t know how bad things will get and what resources will become unavailable. I agree people should think of others, but there’s too much uncertainty around at the moment
JohnnyRoller19/03/2020 00:22

Unfortunately it’s like asking a scalper on here not to buy 100 items when …Unfortunately it’s like asking a scalper on here not to buy 100 items when a glitch pops up, it is what it is. There will always be people who don’t think of anyone but themselves. This is the world we live in, the situation is a big unknown for almost everybody. No one can say for certain that stock will keep coming, we certainly don’t know how bad things will get and what resources will become unavailable. I agree people should think of others, but there’s too much uncertainty around at the moment

I agree to an extent, yes uncertainty but at the same time this virus hasn't increased the amount of food or loo roll needed !
Its not an E-coli virus where you are on the toilet for 10 days.
If it wasn't for a small selfish group of people, the shelves would still be full, but due to these people, the rest of the nation followed suit, its human nature for MOST people.
So there are now people struggling to feed themselves and their families wheres there are others with chest freezers full of food they will probably never eat, just because they followed the others and brought more than they need.
My daughter made a very good point yesterday, she said "these people who are panic buying everything think they are clever, but because they have started the panic buying, everyone else is following suit, and once the original panic buyers have used all of the supplies, there will be nothing for them to buy"
So true
Biggest change for me is that I have spent more time contacting family. Spent over an hour talking to my mum which is rare. Shared experiences and common goals really bring people together.
Had to go three shops today to find a load of bread

Ended up at m&s food inside a bp garage
lollypoplee19/03/2020 00:36

I agree to an extent, yes uncertainty but at the same time this virus …I agree to an extent, yes uncertainty but at the same time this virus hasn't increased the amount of food or loo roll needed !Its not an E-coli virus where you are on the toilet for 10 days. If it wasn't for a small selfish group of people, the shelves would still be full, but due to these people, the rest of the nation followed suit, its human nature for MOST people. So there are now people struggling to feed themselves and their families wheres there are others with chest freezers full of food they will probably never eat, just because they followed the others and brought more than they need.My daughter made a very good point yesterday, she said "these people who are panic buying everything think they are clever, but because they have started the panic buying, everyone else is following suit, and once the original panic buyers have used all of the supplies, there will be nothing for them to buy"So true

I completely agree, however there’s nothing to say that the shops will stop getting deliveries etc. That would then mean there is no more stock coming in, hence the uncertainty.
This panic buying virus is worse than COVID-19...
Loads of gel on EBay at inflated prices. Should be taken down!

Other things I guess at inflated prices
ashmac19/03/2020 00:41

Had to go three shops today to find a load of bread Ended up at m&s food …Had to go three shops today to find a load of bread Ended up at m&s food inside a bp garage

Doesn’t help with reducing social contact when need to chase geese

Comment deleted

It's not about the stores policing how much items one person can buy..I think you missed the whole point of this post....Some CONSIDERATION FOR OTHERS!!!
Alexandralocks19/03/2020 00:54

It's not about the stores policing how much items one person can buy..I …It's not about the stores policing how much items one person can buy..I think you missed the whole point of this post....Some CONSIDERATION FOR OTHERS!!!

Especially the elderly and families with limited transport and small children.

Comment deleted

I’m guessing you’ve stocked up? You never leaving your shed again? Tell me, what are you doing with all the toilet rolls?
lollypoplee19/03/2020 00:57

Especially the elderly and families with limited transport and small …Especially the elderly and families with limited transport and small children.

Exactly or people with mobility issues that rely on online groceries..but hey guess what coz of all these selfish people buying out everything you can think of..hardly anything is available

Went into my local co-op looking for flour today as I’d promised my d …Went into my local co-op looking for flour today as I’d promised my daughters we’d do some baking at the weekend...the shelves where the flour should have been were completely bare.I asked the shop assistant when they would be replenished...she responded “We’re getting deliveries all the time - there is absolutely no need for people to be panic-buying, but when you tell them that, they don’t seem to listen nor understand”.Just relax people! Please buy only what you need!

I don't understand why flour is out of stock everywhere? What are people intending on doing with it? I'm genuinely curious
Well said OP 👏
ChuckTheDuck19/03/2020 00:48

Loads of gel on EBay at inflated prices. Should be taken down!Other things …Loads of gel on EBay at inflated prices. Should be taken down!Other things I guess at inflated prices

Gel is not even needed at home either. You are much better off washing your hands with soap and water. And then drying. Regularly. Which is what makes it doubly frustrating for those that actually need it.
Edited by: "ra786" 19th Mar
ra78619/03/2020 01:44

Gel is not even needed at home either. You are much better off washing …Gel is not even needed at home either. You are much better off washing your hands with soap and water. And then drying. Regularly. Which is what makes it doubly frustrating for those that actually need it.

I only use when out especially with unavoidable self service tills and chip n pin
notalwaysright1919/03/2020 01:30

I don't understand why flour is out of stock everywhere? What are people …I don't understand why flour is out of stock everywhere? What are people intending on doing with it? I'm genuinely curious

Making their own bread? especially if self-isolating for month/s.
Frankie7719/03/2020 02:18

Making their own bread? especially if self-isolating for month/s.

Are all the panic buyers Master Bakers lol
ChuckTheDuck19/03/2020 01:48

I only use when out especially with unavoidable self service tills and …I only use when out especially with unavoidable self service tills and chip n pin

That's when you should be using it. I just don't think most people that are buying vats of the stuff are! At least I've not seen anyone doing so.

Hope you didn't think I was rebuking you personally by the way. I was just making a general statement for all those silly people buying gels (a lot of which are not even the correct ratio) to stop, and start washing their grufty hands instead (opportunity permitting).

The DO understand, perfectly well! They're just being greedy with their "me, me, me" attitude
Go to asda every morning before work at 07:45. Heart breaking to see the older ones with their zimmers. Other people will literally snatch things just before they get to that part of the isle.

Human beings are vulgar. It just takes something like this to show how selfish the average person is. You just have to look at how we behave towards third world countries, global warming, homelessness, etc to realise that the average day to day person - does not give a damn about anything that doesn't concern themselves or their family. Now here we are.
People complain that the govt is a big bad wolf. I think the govt reflects our people perfectly.

This has been going on for decades with regards to other things and I'm not the least bit surprised.
Edited by: "Cloeeez" 19th Mar
Personally, this whole thing is making me think twice about what I’m consuming. I’ve given up my daily Kit Kat or bag of crisps this week, thinking it will make what we have in last longer for the children. Hopefully it will make people appreciate what they have, as the majority of our generation have no idea what it is like to really go without. Take care my fellow hukd’ers 🖖
ChuckTheDuck19/03/2020 00:48

Loads of gel on EBay at inflated prices. Should be taken down!Other things …Loads of gel on EBay at inflated prices. Should be taken down!Other things I guess at inflated prices

Paracetamol! People have bought it up and are flogging it on eBay at ridiculous prices! Should be taken down immediately
ChuckTheDuck19/03/2020 02:23

Are all the panic buyers Master Bakers lol

Bread isn't hard to make, just time consuming. Tastes so much nicer than shop bought.
MrsBasch19/03/2020 06:43

Personally, this whole thing is making me think twice about what I’m c …Personally, this whole thing is making me think twice about what I’m consuming. I’ve given up my daily Kit Kat or bag of crisps this week, thinking it will make what we have in last longer for the children. Hopefully it will make people appreciate what they have, as the majority of our generation have no idea what it is like to really go without. Take care my fellow hukd’ers 🖖

If it makes people think about what they are consuming and waste kess, a good thing will have come out of this madness
Something tells me people will be wasting a lot of food. They've been buying stuff they wouldn't usually buy like big bags of flour 10-20kg or even multiple small ones because it's the last thing on the shelf yes I know some buy them before this happened but I'm not talking about them. They bought this as a just incase purchase but they won't get around to using it when they see the supermarket go back to normal stock and see bread available.
Edited by: "MR1123" 19th Mar
MR112319/03/2020 07:19

Something tells me people will be wasting a lot of food. They've been …Something tells me people will be wasting a lot of food. They've been buying stuff they wouldn't usually buy like big bags of flour 10-20kg because it's the last thing on the shelf yes I know some buy them before this happened but I'm not talking about them. They bought this as a just incase purchase but they won't get around to using it when they see the supermarket go back to normal stock.

this may be true. I bought two bags of bread flour a couple of weeks ago before things went mad. They have a sell by date of 2021 and the truth is I would have bought that much bread flour in that timescale anyway because I often make my own bread. Is that stockpiling? I've plenty of loo rolls etc, in fact I have some away yesterday to a friend who has been ill and couldn't get to the shops. Do I stockpile? Yes. Do I panic buy? No. I buy stuff when it's on offer which I can because I have storage space. I haven't bought loo roll for months so it isn't me causing this run on the stuff. I hate waste. I plan menus a week in advance to make sure I maximize the ingredients I have. Very rare food gets chucked out in this house.
eBay users are trying to make a profit from the shortage of baby milk on shelves
One is flogging Cow and Gate 2 Formula for £30, but it retails at £7.99 in Boots
Another is asking for £64.65 for a £39.99 pack of 12 Cow and Gate Nutriprem 2
Panic buyers are absolutely ridiculous. If WW3 was about to break out or some sort of asteroid/comet was about to hit I'd understand but this is a complete over reaction.

They're the ones putting pressure on supplies etc.. very selfish and they should all be embarrassed about themselves that little Ms Daisy can't buy a loaf of bread and a pint of milk because of selfish greed and paranoia.
ChuckTheDuck19/03/2020 09:38

eBay users are trying to make a profit from the shortage of baby milk on …eBay users are trying to make a profit from the shortage of baby milk on shelvesOne is flogging Cow and Gate 2 Formula for £30, but it retails at £7.99 in BootsAnother is asking for £64.65 for a £39.99 pack of 12 Cow and Gate Nutriprem 2

Easy create fake eBay account and put very high bids. Remember the special £20 notes with ref XXX sold for XXX on eBay. They are fake bids. Then seller has to wait few days for payment before relisting. eBay are taking down listings which can be reported on the listings so it will buy some time for eBay to spot it and of course cause the seller some pain
I think everyone is quick to blame others for "panic buying" etc. However, i believe, if we are all honest, we have all purchased a little at least more than normal. For example, me and my partner have "panic bought" 4 days of meals. We usually buy for the current days meals only. Although I don't consider it excessive, our changed shopping habits would have contributed to the cleared shops by a multiple of 4.
It isn't the few "panic buyers" I believe we have all contributed in our own way. I am sure it'll calm down very soon and Mr Tesco and Mrs Sainsbury will be getting a nice bonus at the end of their year.
Cloeeez19/03/2020 06:33

Go to asda every morning before work at 07:45. Heart breaking to see the …Go to asda every morning before work at 07:45. Heart breaking to see the older ones with their zimmers. Other people will literally snatch things just before they get to that part of the isle.Human beings are vulgar. It just takes something like this to show how selfish the average person is. You just have to look at how we behave towards third world countries, global warming, homelessness, etc to realise that the average day to day person - does not give a damn about anything that doesn't concern themselves or their family. Now here we are. People complain that the govt is a big bad wolf. I think the govt reflects our people perfectly.This has been going on for decades with regards to other things and I'm not the least bit surprised.

“The human heart is the most deceitful of all things, and desperately wicked. Who really knows how bad it is?" Jeremiah 17:9.
notalwaysright1919/03/2020 01:30

I don't understand why flour is out of stock everywhere? What are people …I don't understand why flour is out of stock everywhere? What are people intending on doing with it? I'm genuinely curious

read one of BOZ's recommended cookery books under Freebies
tryn2help19/03/2020 14:21

“The human heart is the most deceitful of all things, and desperately w …“The human heart is the most deceitful of all things, and desperately wicked. Who really knows how bad it is?" Jeremiah 17:9.

An idealist's dream, thread makers (OPs) saying: do not panic buy, people should buy only what they need...should be considerate of others.

Do to others as you would like to be treated.
splender19/03/2020 16:34

An idealist's dream, thread makers (OPs) saying: do not panic buy, … An idealist's dream, thread makers (OPs) saying: do not panic buy, people should buy only what they need...should be considerate of others.Do to others as you would like to be treated.

I have read your post many times and I'm still not sure what you are trying to say
Please can you elaborate
lollypoplee19/03/2020 16:42

I have read your post many times and I'm still not sure what you are …I have read your post many times and I'm still not sure what you are trying to say Please can you elaborate

First, did you understand the Jeremiah 17:9 bit?
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Discussions

Top Merchants