Lets kick off a big HUKD debate...... SPORTS DIRECT

Found 13th Dec 2015
Why the hate?

They have strict rules in the work place which in turn ends up with staff getting in trouble etc.....

Discuss
Community Updates
80 Comments
They produce tat and then over inflate the prices just so they can put it in a sale.
awful tax evading ceo and non existant ethics.
I dont mind em, I've bought worse stuff from supposedly better shops.
They destroyed the firetrap brand and abuse zero hour contracts.
I like the store, perfect for the few bits of sports equipment I need.
They destroyed a lot of brands.
Caused JJB and a lot of small independents to go out of business.
Chiptivo

They destroyed a lot of brands. Caused JJB and a lot of small … They destroyed a lot of brands. Caused JJB and a lot of small independents to go out of business.

JJB bought the Original Shoe Company for £5 million in December 2007, & reported heavy financial losses nine months later. As a result their share price plummeted to less than 10% of the value prior to the announcement.

Their Credit Insurance coverage (provided by Coface) was then removed, & the Company owed substantial debts to their suppliers.

If Sports Direct did anything it was to buy 34% of the share capital in order to keep the Company trading until 2011 when it took over completely.

Two years before then, however, HM Revenue & Customs and the Serious Organised Crime Agency began investigations into some of the former members of JJB's board of Directors.

I don't think you can blame Sports Direct for all of their downfall.
Edited by: "fanpages" 14th Dec 2015
But where will error get her shell suits from now. X)
Chiptivo

They destroyed a lot of brands. Caused JJB and a lot of small … They destroyed a lot of brands. Caused JJB and a lot of small independents to go out of business.

Lets be fair, JJB themselves were the big boys for a long time until someone better came along.

They buy up old names like slazenger, produce absolute garbage in sweatshops that primark would reject on quality grounds, and then charge too much for your slazenger branded rags that fall apart as soon as they are exposed to the sunlight outside the shop door.

the shops are also ugly, dingy, natural light free zones that stink and resemble a rag and bone yard, the staff are rubbish and uninterested, no doubt because its a awful place with crap pay run by tyranny.
Error440

They buy up old names like slazenger, produce absolute garbage in … They buy up old names like slazenger, produce absolute garbage in sweatshops that primark would reject on quality grounds, and then charge too much for your slazenger branded rags that fall apart as soon as they are exposed to the sunlight outside the shop door.the shops are also ugly, dingy, natural light free zones that stink and resemble a rag and bone yard, the staff are rubbish and uninterested, no doubt because its a awful place with crap pay run by tyranny.

And you can never find a member of staff!! I really don't like the store at all.
Error440

They buy up old names like slazenger, produce absolute garbage in … They buy up old names like slazenger, produce absolute garbage in sweatshops that primark would reject on quality grounds, and then charge too much for your slazenger branded rags that fall apart as soon as they are exposed to the sunlight outside the shop door.the shops are also ugly, dingy, natural light free zones that stink and resemble a rag and bone yard, the staff are rubbish and uninterested, no doubt because its a awful place with crap pay run by tyranny.

Not one to generalise are you?
Will not buy or vote any deal hot due to the way they do business, they exploitation of every one who works for them
Error440

What's wrong with trannyies?
But on the plus point Newcastle won!
miles136

Will not buy or vote any deal hot due to the way they do business, they … Will not buy or vote any deal hot due to the way they do business, they exploitation of every one who works for them

​people choose to work for them thou. wasn't the tv programme about agency workers?
They do seem to employ a lot of chav types!

My wife was at the till buying a pack of socks and the girl asked if she wanted a bag and my wife said yes.

Wife paid and instead of a small carrier bag it was one of those massive big one the size of a suitcase, the look on my wife's face was priceless!
Mark2111

They do seem to employ a lot of chav types! My wife was at the till … They do seem to employ a lot of chav types! My wife was at the till buying a pack of socks and the girl asked if she wanted a bag and my wife said yes. Wife paid and instead of a small carrier bag it was one of those massive big one the size of a suitcase, the look on my wife's face was priceless!

Well, at least £1.00's worth... possibly one of the £1.50 bags depending on the size of the socks.
I have no rrspect for anyone that uses this store. The deals they're throwing out at the moment are totally publicity driven in trying to mend the damage of being found out about their treatment of staff.

theguardian.com/bus…pay
coathanger

I have no rrspect for anyone that uses this store. The deals they're … I have no rrspect for anyone that uses this store. The deals they're throwing out at the moment are totally publicity driven in trying to mend the damage of being found out about their treatment of staff.http://www.theguardian.com/business/2015/dec/09/how-sports-direct-effectively-pays-below-minimum-wage-pay

"Banned from wearing 802 separate clothing brands at work."

To be fair, that's a lot of layers.
coathanger

I have no rrspect for anyone that uses this store. The deals they're … I have no rrspect for anyone that uses this store. The deals they're throwing out at the moment are totally publicity driven in trying to mend the damage of being found out about their treatment of staff.http://www.theguardian.com/business/2015/dec/09/how-sports-direct-effectively-pays-below-minimum-wage-pay

messages over tannoy to speed up - nothing bad
docked wages for being late - dont be late
scared to take time off work - who isnt
dont wear certain brands - then dont

the only issue i see is the 15min it takes to search someone? Ive had to search staff before and fail to understand how it takes 15 mins to search someone.

If its that bad then why work there?
ed1980

messages over tannoy to speed up - nothing baddocked wages for being … messages over tannoy to speed up - nothing baddocked wages for being late - dont be latescared to take time off work - who isnt dont wear certain brands - then dontthe only issue i see is the 15min it takes to search someone? Ive had to search staff before and fail to understand how it takes 15 mins to search someone.If its that bad then why work there?

Asking the new checkout girl to submit to a strip and polish search, would only take you 3 mins tops anyway.
Oneday77

Asking the new checkout girl to submit to a strip and polish search, … Asking the new checkout girl to submit to a strip and polish search, would only take you 3 mins tops anyway.

?
Oneday77

Asking the new checkout girl to submit to a strip and polish search, … Asking the new checkout girl to submit to a strip and polish search, would only take you 3 mins tops anyway.

(From experience)

The girl worth checking-out at my local store is from Czechoslovakia.
ed1980

messages over tannoy to speed up - nothing baddocked wages for being … messages over tannoy to speed up - nothing baddocked wages for being late - dont be latescared to take time off work - who isnt dont wear certain brands - then dontthe only issue i see is the 15min it takes to search someone? Ive had to search staff before and fail to understand how it takes 15 mins to search someone.If its that bad then why work there?

because there are no other jobs?
fanpages

(From experience)The girl worth checking-out at my local store is from … (From experience)The girl worth checking-out at my local store is from Czechoslovakia.

Hardly a girl, she must be at least 22...
miles136

because there are no other jobs?

That's not Sports Direct's fault.
Rubisco

That's not Sports Direct's fault.

no one said it was!!!! the question was why do they work there
Because if they throw in the towel without having another job lined up they are barred from signing on for 3 months for making themselves deliberately unemployed, although now its the tories in power they would probably be barred from signing on for life or something equally stupid.
Error440

Because if they throw in the towel without having another job lined up … Because if they throw in the towel without having another job lined up they are barred from signing on for 3 months for making themselves deliberately unemployed, although now its the tories in power they would probably be barred from signing on for life or something equally stupid.

Up until a year ago those on Sports Direct's zero-hours contracts used to be able to leave without risking their benefits because the contracts had an exclusivity clause. You can blame the idiot campaigners who successfully got rid of the exclusivity clause because hey, me see bad thing me want ban bad thing. Law of unintended consequences hits you idealists square in the balls yet again.
Rubisco

Up until a year ago those on Sports Direct's zero-hours contracts used to … Up until a year ago those on Sports Direct's zero-hours contracts used to be able to leave without risking their benefits because the contracts had an exclusivity clause. You can blame the idiot campaigners who successfully got rid of the exclusivity clause because hey, me see bad thing me want ban bad thing. Law of unintended consequences hits you idealists square in the balls yet again.

we defo need a dislike button on here
miles136

we defo need a dislike button on here

Nah, we need a "don't shoot the messenger" button. You don't like the truth?

The truth is that zero-hours contracts can suit some people if they don't have to rely on the job to survive, such as the second-earner in a household where the primary-earners wage is sufficient, students, or young people still being supported by their parents. The truth is that nobody could be forced into a zero-hours contract that had an exclusivity clause under the threat of benefit sanctions. The truth is that campaigners ignored the fact that nobody was being forced to take these jobs and kicked up enough of a stink about an imaginary situation to get exclusivity clauses banned for zero-hours contracts. The truth is that now anybody wishing to refuse a zero-hour contract job or leave a zero-hour contract job can no longer point to an exclusivity clause and claim exemption from sanctions. Therefore bringing into being the very situation that people were (needlessly) worried about in the first place.

All because Ed Miliband needed something to bash the government with.
ed1980

A company that had to be named and shamed to make it change its practice's of under paying staff below national minimum wage.

A company that trusts its staff to handle your credit cards but not to leave without emptying their pockets first.

A company that publicly humiliates staff over loud speaker systems when taking too long to help its customers.

No one should buy from this company.
Exclusivity was never the issue, sudden drop in hours is, if your employer suddenly drops your hours down to a unsustainable level for several weeks with no indication of when they will rise, you should be able quit upon providing proof that your income and hours make it pointless to continue.

And I looked it up its 26 weeks now, interestingly it says suspended, so I assume you sign on but they withhold the money for 26 weeks and then pay your next of kin it after you starve to death.
coathanger

A company that had to be named and shamed to make it change its … A company that had to be named and shamed to make it change its practice's of under paying staff below national minimum wage. A company that trusts its staff to handle your credit cards but not to leave without emptying their pockets first.A company that publicly humiliates staff over loud speaker systems when taking too long to help its customers.No one should buy from this company.

My mother used to work for harrods in the offices not the shop floor but all staff there were searched upon entry and exit.
Would rather pay more elsewhere than give Mike Cashley my money! WATP
Error440

My mother used to work for harrods in the offices not the shop floor but … My mother used to work for harrods in the offices not the shop floor but all staff there were searched upon entry and exit.

So compare yourself with other poor practice's to make it appear okay? How about vetting your staff properly and then entrusting them, or is vetting another cost they don't want to incur?

I will never use that company on principal.
not really a fan of the practices which have been reported but they have carved out a market for themselves and when I go to my local, it always seems to be very busy.

personally, I vote on the deal itself and not on the company. lets be honest, most if not all of the stuff we buy is now produced in China or third world countries where the people are paid peanuts. so lets not go on a ethical crusade here. If people really gave a sh1t, then we'd demand proper, humane working conditions for the people making our products wherever they may be.

with regards to the people working in SD, im sure for a lot of people its down to necessity. jobs are hard to come by and the attitude that if you don't like it then leave is easy to say but practicalities of then getting another job are not easy.

it does **** me off though when I get 'offered' the chance to buy the fitness magazine every time I make a purchase. you can tell even the cashier is uncomfortable asking but I realise its kind of forced on them so cant blame them.
coathanger

So compare yourself with other poor practice's to make it appear okay? … So compare yourself with other poor practice's to make it appear okay? How about vetting your staff properly and then entrusting them, or is vetting another cost they don't want to incur? I will never use that company on principal.

lets be fair, most companies these days get they stuff from China or factories in the third world. Have you seen some of the working conditions those guys are in. I don't think we can play the ethics card on this one.
Vote with your feet then
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants