lets see who can read this without itching their heads!

Found 24th Mar 2009
okay iv just washed kids hairs and i found .......NITS!
iv combed their heads with conditioner getting as much of the eggs as poss till i get to shops tomorrow can anyone recommend a good nitty shampoo? please
thanx

24 Comments

Banned

lol i itched. wtf?!

Original Poster

DangerGod;4728630

lol i itched. wtf?!

LOL :w00t:

sat here scratching like a gibbon!

feel for you, my eldest had them years ago, I went to Boots and asked the paharmacist, cant remember what it was though, the whole family had to be done as a precaution!

I find the Nitty Gritty comb the best without question.

I then bought this tee tree oil spray from Morrisons which is supposed to repel nits from coming in the first place.

Mrs.Z;4728669
I find the Nitty Gritty comb the best without question.

I then bought this tee tree oil spray from Morrisons which is supposed to repel nits from coming in the first place.

Couldn't agree more.

Nitty Gritty comb, get it from your docs for free. conditioner through the hair, comb through, repeat every 5 days for maybe 3 or 4 times. Then a spray mist with tea tree oil in it, lice don't like the smell so will help keep them away.

My daughter has really thick hair and I found that not one of the chemicals ever worked.

Original Poster

starsparkle2311;4728651

tea tree oil helps, you can buy it in shampoo, spray on conditioner form, … tea tree oil helps, you can buy it in shampoo, spray on conditioner form, but usually the old Lyclear works.My kids have only ever had them once, total infestation at their school, plus they went on hols with their dad for a week, so him being clueless to their itching, they came back with nits the size of cockroaches. Easy to get rid of, don't panic, speak to your pharmacist, you can buy some good foam stuff, put it on, comb thorugh, wash off.

Lyclear? do chemists sell this? iv just used tea tree conditioner and combed through with a nitty comb

Original Poster

LOLing at all you scratching
youve all mentioned a comb? is this the one you get free from school when they first start?
thanx fior all your helpful replys :thumbsup:

Original Poster

ChipSticks;4728688
Couldn't agree more.

Nitty Gritty comb, get it from your docs for free. conditioner through the hair, comb through, repeat every 5 days for maybe 3 or 4 times. Then a spray mist with tea tree oil in it, lice don't like the smell so will help keep them away.

My daughter has really thick hair and I found that not one of the chemicals ever worked.

yeah my youngest son has really thick hair too
so i just keep going with this tea tree conditioner and comb then?

I bought mine from Boot for £9.99 - people on here have said since that you can get it free from GP

Didn't scratch my head but did my shoulder lol

Do what I do - shave their heads :thumbsup:

Original Poster

fireheaven;4728783

Didn't scratch my head but did my shoulder lolDo what I do - shave their … Didn't scratch my head but did my shoulder lolDo what I do - shave their heads :thumbsup:

i do norm shave their heads but they wanted a 'big boys cut' a mowhawk and they have ended up with unwanted visitors!
shaving heads in future!

ok now I am itching everywhere :-(

Does your chemist run a minor illments scheme, if so you can register for free and get free headlice lotion for the kids. most chemists do the scheme now so worth asking.

Original Poster

thanx for all your advice and help guys im going to pop to chemist tomorrow and get some nit solution and a metal comb :thumbsup:

all repped, thanx again

Original Poster

JAYKAY72;4728878

Does your chemist run a minor illments scheme, if so you can register for … Does your chemist run a minor illments scheme, if so you can register for free and get free headlice lotion for the kids. most chemists do the scheme now so worth asking.

oh i dont know :? iv never heard of this

The scheme covers lots of different illnesses such as coughs, warts, skin problems, teething and many more, the medication is free, saves going to the doctors and waiting for prescription. Asda chemist is a member, boots, lloyds and co-op (Hull) are also members so I think it will be nationwide. hope this helps.

I work in a pharmacy and the best thing is HEDRIN if used properly it is 100% effective it basically shrink wraps the lice ! In order for it to work effectively you have to cover the hair completely and let dry over night then wash off, repeat in a week dont use condiotioner the week in between treatments, It is non incecticidal so can be used if the child has eczema or athsma . It is £10 for a large bottle that will be enough to treat two boys twice, most pharmacies offer the minor ailments service and would be able to do a prescription for you free of charge.

Hope this helps a bit

Original Poster

f10na;4729172

I work in a pharmacy and the best thing is HEDRIN if used properly it is … I work in a pharmacy and the best thing is HEDRIN if used properly it is 100% effective it basically shrink wraps the lice ! In order for it to work effectively you have to cover the hair completely and let dry over night then wash off, repeat in a week dont use condiotioner the week in between treatments, It is non incecticidal so can be used if the child has eczema or athsma . It is £10 for a large bottle that will be enough to treat two boys twice, most pharmacies offer the minor ailments service and would be able to do a prescription for you free of charge.Hope this helps a bit

aww thanx, thats great advice
sounds good and effective
is it easy to use?

neem oil. from ebay. smells vile but my life it kills em including the eggs.
Metal comb is correct plastic ones are rubbish in fatc i use we use a certain one
The nitty gritty comb is brill.
The lice are mostly immune to the chemicals now ya know. They dont always work

Hedrin is what I get from the chemist for free under scheme it is very good does not have a smell like others do but would recommend putting a pair of tights or hat on their heads, as this stuff is very oily and gets every where and can stain some materials.

as far as i know it is fairly easy but as JAYKAY72 said it probably will be messy some pharmacies ask for you to take a sample in on a bit of tape thats what my work does (not nice) hopefully you will get it on the minor ailments and save you a bit of money

my kids used to get them all the time at primary school,i tried the chemical treatments and didnt feel the worked,tried the zapper comb and it was rubbish too,ended up using a fine nit comb from chemist and cheap conditioner,worked great,every night after their baths i combed their hair and took out all i could find,when we got rid of them all,i just checked their hair twice a wk to make sure they never had them again,remember to check your own hair too,they dont only go to kids heads

ettam123;4731230

my kids used to get them all the time at primary school,i tried the … my kids used to get them all the time at primary school,i tried the chemical treatments and didnt feel the worked,tried the zapper comb and it was rubbish too,ended up using a fine nit comb from chemist and cheap conditioner,worked great,every night after their baths i combed their hair and took out all i could find,when we got rid of them all,i just checked their hair twice a wk to make sure they never had them again,remember to check your own hair too,they dont only go to kids heads

Agreed. I tried every brand of the chemical stuff and not one ever worked, I think my daughters hair was just too thick. The best solution by far was the nitty gritty comb and conditioner. Normal nit combs just pull out the lice, where as the nitty gritty gets the eggs too.

Original Poster

Hiya All
just a quck up-date
been to work all day so didnt have time to go chemist , but did pop into savers and picked up some hedrin spray, so theyve gone to bed with that on their heads then il comb and wash hairs in morning.
thanx again guys :thumbsup:
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Stock informer35
    2. US GrandPrix Razzmatazz810
    3. Meerkat Movies (2 for 1 Cinema Codes) | Official Trading Thread428314662
    4. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7769612

See more discussions