Groups

Let's talk about Kaby Lake

Hi all,

I'm strongly considering upgrading my desktop gaming PC this Christmas/New Year. Whilst it's tempting to get a nice Skylake CPU build, I have heard on the underground grapevine that Kaby Lake is imminently going to be released for pre-ordering.

For those of you more tech-savvy than me, please could someone advise me on the wise approach? I don't need a top, top CPU but it would be nice to wait a bit longer and get a decent Kaby Lake CPU. Does anyone have any strong idea of when Kaby Lake will be released? To give an idea of what I'm looking for, I'd be looking to get an i7 6700K and a mid-range motherboard. Other components I do not need.

Thanks, I appreciate any feedback I may get.

6 Comments

Probably early next year for the desktop CPUs. The different is not a lot from skylake, mainly enhanced GPUs and using a little less power.
    Edited by: "kiish" 3rd Nov 2016

AlexJames102

I don't need a top, top CPU...I'd be looking to get an i7 6700K and a … I don't need a top, top CPU...I'd be looking to get an i7 6700K and a mid-range motherboard. Other components I do not need.

Uh, I'd call that a pretty top, top CPU given it's the fastest desktop model Intel make (outside of their HEDT versions of server/workstation chips).

Kaby Lake could be quite interesting for the mainstream market if the rumours that the desktop Pentiums are finally getting the hyper-threading that their mobile counterparts have had for the last two generations, and the HEVC Main10 support of course.

For the overlockable top of the range chips I wouldn't expect much. Overclocking could go either way and the clock for clock improvement will be similar to previous generations.

Kaby Lake desktop chips will probably launch sometime in the first few months of 2017.
    Edited by: "EndlessWaves" 3rd Nov 2016

not much point in getting an overclockable i7 6700k then throwing it into a mid range mobo. kinda negates the point of getting a "k" series cpu. probably better going for non "k" unless you plan on properly overclocking later on. also as said above that is a high end cpu. also you would need to give more details about what your gonna use it for (gaming, rendering, workstation etc).

Original Poster

mcon

not much point in getting an overclockable i7 6700k then throwing it into … not much point in getting an overclockable i7 6700k then throwing it into a mid range mobo. kinda negates the point of getting a "k" series cpu. probably better going for non "k" unless you plan on properly overclocking later on. also as said above that is a high end cpu. also you would need to give more details about what your gonna use it for (gaming, rendering, workstation etc).

Agreed. So do you suggest I get a decent Skylake build? I'm using it predominantly for high tier gaming. So perhaps a i7 6700?

Do you ever click on something expecting chat about a holiday destination, only to leave dissapointed?

not quite. i assume that you are using 3rd or 4th gen? if thats the case i dont think skylake is a worthwhile step up, whereas stepping up to kaby lake may be a more noticeable upgrade. all I'm saying is that it would seem to me quite frivolous to buy an high end unlocked "k" series cpu (of any generation) just to whack it into a below par mobo. especially if it is essentially for gaming, as i said, i may be wrong in other peoples eyes but its just my opinion.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Win a luxury five-star break for two in Paris with Le Bristol Paris and Eur…67
      2. Win a Davosa Ternos Submariner Wristwatch worth £64545
      3. Win a flagship smartphone - the HTC U1134
      4. Magazine competitions - Issue 39 @ tvchoicemagazine.co.uk66

See more discussions