Let's Talk about Plex baby!

8 replies
Found 12th Nov 2016
Hey everyone, I often see Alot of comments regarding plex on several deal posts and ask Posts. I'm also new to this so I'm hoping I can gain And share some knowledge.

So far I'm running my own personal plex set up from my laptop, I have 2 hard drives plugged in. 1x500gb portable and 1x1gb desktop. All associated folders with my content in are linked to my plex account and it works like a charm aging through my. Xbox one.

So to my question, moving forward I wish to share this stuff with my family and friends. Is it a simple case of me sharing my library with them once they create an account? Will I need a far better system setup to do this? I read about servers, nas drives and then amazon cloud streaming etc.

I'm not looking to share it with hundreds of people. Just a few.

I've browsed some plex sites and on reddit but these guys are far more advanced because they're talking about Streaming sky sports and stuff. But I can't really be bothered with All that.

1. Ask
  2. Baby
  3. Plex
8 Comments

I have no idea of the answer, but kudos for the title

Original Poster

chris75319

I have no idea of the answer, but kudos for the title

​Cheers pal, trying to throw some humour into what could be a super complicated thread

support.plex.tv/hc/…273
Not sure if you have browsed through this page but this will give you a bit of idea about requirements (internet upload speed)
support.plex.tv/hc/…043
The above link will give you an idea of system requirements.

I'll suggest to share with 1 of your friends or family and see how it works before investing into any system upgrades.

I have a plex setup too and have also thought about this. The easiest suggestion I can think of is buy a plex pass and set up individual accounts for them. That way they will have their own watch list etc and you can hide your smutty videos from them lol. Then I would get a hp microserver and install xpenology that way the laptop doesn't need to be always on. Be aware though it can be iffy if you have downloaded/pirated movies on there as technically as well as pirating the films you are also distributing copywrite materials. Which could result in a heavy fine.

You will also need a decent upload speed on your internet.

I thought it was a great idea initially but then thought it is a lot of hassle and extra cost plus you get people asking you to put x movie and y movie on there.

I may do it in the future but not yet.

Once you have a decent plex setup (hardware internet etc) with the plex pass it should just be a case of creating them an account within your account and then signing in to the plex client.

The other option which is messy as they could watch thing u haven't and u don't know where you have got to etc is they open up the plex client click sign in then you log in to your plex at plex.tv/link and enter the code on their screen however I do not recommend this way at all as it could get very messy.

The benefit of a hp microserver running xpenology is that you can easily upgrade the hard drives and even set it up to automatically download rename and put int he correct folder the latest tv shows and movies using couch potato and showrss.info plus you can also use the server as a nas or for cctv or anything as well as plex.

As barrel24 says you'll need to buy a plex pass if you want to stream outside of your LAN.
Your friends and family will then need a device to watch the content on, laptops easy to setup but I assume they want to watch on a tv. Unless they have newish LG or Samsung TV's (some have in built plex), easiest way I've found is nowtv boxes. Only downside is that the library is shared is if 1 person watches a show it will say watched for everyone using your library.

I went with a 12 month plex iptv service can be had for around £20 on a certain auction site. I know its not right but thought id share it with you guys just in case you wasn't aware of the it. The service is great with thousands of films tv shows etc and live tv and so simple to use.

Zool

I went with a 12 month plex iptv service can be had for around £20 on a … I went with a 12 month plex iptv service can be had for around £20 on a certain auction site. I know its not right but thought id share it with you guys just in case you wasn't aware of the it. The service is great with thousands of films tv shows etc and live tv and so simple to use.

​I have Plex running on my shield tv content stored on my nas server I can access this fine without Plex pass.. Maybe just my login but I don't want to really share with anyone but it does work as I've tried it

Original Poster

wakkaday

​I have Plex running on my shield tv content stored on my nas server I c … ​I have Plex running on my shield tv content stored on my nas server I can access this fine without Plex pass.. Maybe just my login but I don't want to really share with anyone but it does work as I've tried it

​I played around with my shield earlier. But I don't have a nas. It seems like a big spend just for me to watch. I don't think my upload speeds would be good enough anyway.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Anyone know of any budget laptops which charge through USB-C?44
    2. CEX grading12
    3. Switch from BT to BT same property different person627
    4. Advice on claiming from Salford Council pot hole damage22

See more discussions