Expired

Letting chavs/roadmen coming to see your car?

Found 25th Oct 2015
I listed a car up and some of the calls are from people who, talk "like dis init, so what, whats your last price and dat".

I just tell them it's already sold. Am I stereotyping? And just assuming they're going to be problematic. Or is it justified risk assessment?
Community Updates
75 Comments
You're the seller so you decide the buyer. They may be absolutely fine but trust your instincts
I'm sure they may speak different to you but would probably have paid with the queens head anyhow.
Yes you are stereotyping .
They wouldn't get past our security gates.
Is this the pic you used in the listing OP?
http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s308/harlzter/ff69gn_zpsmcr9p7dy.jpg
Stereotyping. Would u assume that someone with a foreign accent would want to swap your car for a camel?
was it Rooney?
Listed my M3 and got a load of chavs asking about driving it to see how the clutch etc is. It's a DCT so I doubt Mr Chav will gain anything from a test drive.
benjammin316

Yes, you are right, prison guards do not let everyone in!
tonyd19565

Yes, you are right, prison guards do not let everyone in!

A few of them have worked in prison yes. They are the best to employ.
Sold my old peugeot the other week. I got the same & foreigners who could hardly speak a word of English.
benjammin316

If they made it past my gates, the butler would have the dogs chase them off
mikey_d

If they made it past my gates, the butler would have the dogs chase them … If they made it past my gates, the butler would have the dogs chase them off

Release the hounds
Well, If you want to attract chicks instead, sell your sofa, I put mine on a facebook forsale site and the amount of chicks that are interested is unbelievable, I sold it straight away but could of sold it 10x over.
shauneco

Well, If you want to attract chicks instead, sell your sofa, I put mine … Well, If you want to attract chicks instead, sell your sofa, I put mine on a facebook forsale site and the amount of chicks that are interested is unbelievable, I sold it straight away but could of sold it 10x over.

Did you offer to help them test it out?
FearTheBassPlayer

Did you offer to help them test it out?

If she hadn't turned up with her husband/partner I might have.
Jeeves vets all my calls so I need not speak to such ne'er-do-wells
So did you end up selling your skoda Fabia vrs?
Spuggie

You're the seller so you decide the buyer. They may be absolutely fine … You're the seller so you decide the buyer. They may be absolutely fine but trust your instincts

Good advice.
shauneco

If she hadn't turned up with her husband/partner I might have.

2's company, 3's more fun
FearTheBassPlayer

2's company, 3's more fun

He was a big lad, I dared not to ask.
shauneco

He was a big lad, I dared not to ask.

​You could of used Vaseline, oh wait that's not what you meant when you said he was a big lad is it?
why would you take risks with anyone without manners.
Not quite sure what the problem here is??? what sort of car is it? I'm sure they will be paying you the same as anyone else will pay you....you are not inviting them to move in with you. Does it matter if they talk "chavvy"?

Maybe you should add a little to your ad, stating that "only white, well spoken gentlemen over 50 need apply to buy my car, as a strict vetting procedure is in place. Please supply at least 2 references before coming round to view".
t_kaay

Not quite sure what the problem here is??? what sort of car is it? I'm … Not quite sure what the problem here is??? what sort of car is it? I'm sure they will be paying you the same as anyone else will pay you....you are not inviting them to move in with you. Does it matter if they talk "chavvy"? Maybe you should add a little to your ad, stating that "only white, well spoken gentlemen over 50 need apply to buy my car, as a strict vetting procedure is in place. Please supply at least 2 references before coming round to view".

who said they weren't white?
landros1

Good advice.

Exactly
You're just as likely to get a well spoken tyre kicker.
t_kaay

Not quite sure what the problem here is??? what sort of car is it? I'm … Not quite sure what the problem here is??? what sort of car is it? I'm sure they will be paying you the same as anyone else will pay you....you are not inviting them to move in with you. Does it matter if they talk "chavvy"? Maybe you should add a little to your ad, stating that "only white, well spoken gentlemen over 50 need apply to buy my car, as a strict vetting procedure is in place. Please supply at least 2 references before coming round to view".

The problem is when you advertise something for sale that is potentially worth thousands of pounds, you need to becareful.
They could turn up with mates and intimidate you into too low a price. If it's after the banks are shut and they pay in cash, they know where you live. Is the cash real?
It's a sad state of affairs that people must think like that but fool and their money are easily parted.
What car is it? Maybe its a known chav mobile?
Oneday77

If it's after the banks are shut and they pay in cash, they know where … If it's after the banks are shut and they pay in cash, they know where you live. Is the cash real? It's a sad state of affairs that people must think like that but fool and their money are easily parted.

Surely Op wouldn't be foolish enough to accept fake notes twice? Op Ooops So you are saying OP is a fool?
harlzter

Surely Op wouldn't be foolish enough to accept fake notes twice? Op Ooops … Surely Op wouldn't be foolish enough to accept fake notes twice? Op Ooops So you are saying OP is a fool?

FP is that you?
Oneday77

The problem is when you advertise something for sale that is potentially … The problem is when you advertise something for sale that is potentially worth thousands of pounds, you need to becareful. They could turn up with mates and intimidate you into too low a price. If it's after the banks are shut and they pay in cash, they know where you live. Is the cash real? It's a sad state of affairs that people must think like that but fool and their money are easily parted.

Omg. This is exactly what happened to me.

I was selling a motorbike and these 3 guys came. 2 asian 1 black and they had came out the car one of them had their hands in the boxers. I took them round the back to see the bike and they just started finding anything they deem to be wrong with it to start knocking down the price. And when I said I won't budge on the pricing as it's already too cheap they got aggressive and started demanding petrol money £30 because he had a 3 litre car and I should of told him these things.

So I said whatever and just sold it. Whilst I was counting the money he started getting agressive and didn't let me count properly. Afterwards it turns out there was £100 short. So I can ended up selling a 2.7k value bike for 2,300.

He also didn't let me fill/send the v5c said he'd do it. Saw it on Gumtree a few days later for £2,800.

I should of called my brother down. He has a loose screw. He would of sorted them out there and then.

I was 21 and they were nearly 30 three of them.

Another issue is after you sell to a chav if anything goes wrong with it after they want their money back.

I get people to sign sold as seen receipts now.

Another time I ended up getting fake cash for a ps4 on Gumtree. You have to be really careful. If you're a nice/polite person people always try taking advantage of you. It's upsetting that we even have to take so many precautions. There's not a lot of genuine people left.

For people wondering it's a Mercedes clk 09 plate.
KM4353

Omg. This is exactly what happened to me. I was selling a motorbike and … Omg. This is exactly what happened to me. I was selling a motorbike and these 3 guys came. 2 asian 1 black and they had came out the car one of them had their hands in the boxers. I took them round the back to see the bike and they just started finding anything they deem to be wrong with it to start knocking down the price. And when I said I won't budge on the pricing as it's already too cheap they got aggressive and started demanding petrol money £30 because he had a 3 litre car and I should of told him these things. So I said whatever and just sold it. Whilst I was counting the money he started getting agressive and didn't let me count properly. Afterwards it turns out there was £100 short. So I can ended up selling a 2.7k value bike for 2,300.He also didn't let me fill/send the v5c said he'd do it. Saw it on Gumtree a few days later for £2,800.I should of called my brother down. He has a loose screw. He would of sorted them out there and then. I was 21 and they were nearly 30 three of them.Another issue is after you sell to a chav if anything goes wrong with it after they want their money back.I get people to sign sold as seen receipts now. Another time I ended up getting fake cash for a ps4 on Gumtree. You have to be really careful. If you're a nice/polite person people always try taking advantage of you. It's upsetting that we even have to take so many precautions. There's not a lot of genuine people left. For people wondering it's a Mercedes clk 09 plate.

If I was you, skip the chavs and go straight to the legal robbers. At least Webuyanycar will give you a receipt although it will be for less than you want.
Oneday77

FP is that you?

Nope

BFN
H
KM4353

these 3 guys came....... one of them had their hands in the boxers. I … these 3 guys came....... one of them had their hands in the boxers. I took them round the back

with no context and that would be a whole different story
KM4353

I was selling a motorbike and these 3 guys came. 2 asian 1 black .

You like your stereotyping dont you!
KM4353

I was selling a motorbike and these 3 guys came. 2 asian 1 black and they … I was selling a motorbike and these 3 guys came. 2 asian 1 black and they had came out the car one of them had their hands in the boxers. I took them round the back to see the bike and they just started finding anything they deem to be wrong with it to start knocking down the price. And when I said I won't budge on the pricing as it's already too cheap they got aggressive and started demanding petrol money £30 because he had a 3 litre car and I should of told him these things. So I said whatever and just sold it. Whilst I was counting the money he started getting agressive and didn't let me count properly. Afterwards it turns out there was £100 short. So I can ended up selling a 2.7k value bike for 2,300.He also didn't let me fill/send the v5c said he'd do it. Saw it on Gumtree a few days later for £2,800.I should of called my brother down. He has a loose screw. He would of sorted them out there and then. I was 21 and they were nearly 30 three of them.Another issue is after you sell to a chav if anything goes wrong with it after they want their money back.I get people to sign sold as seen receipts now. Another time I ended up getting fake cash for a ps4 on Gumtree. You have to be really careful. If you're a nice/polite person people always try taking advantage of you. It's upsetting that we even have to take so many precautions. There's not a lot of genuine people left. For people wondering it's a Mercedes clk 09 plate.

They were clearly wrong uns then (_;)

harlzter

You like your stereotyping dont you!

Don't try it. I'm a minority (Asian) and my best friend is black. I was giving you a detailed story.
KM4353

Don't try it. I'm a minority (Asian) and my best friend is black. I was … Don't try it. I'm a minority (Asian) and my best friend is black. I was giving you a detailed story.

He does have a point. If a white person was to start a thread whether they should allow minority sounding people to view a car, there would be hell to pay.
For me if I don't like the situation, regardless of class, race or planetary origin I'll walk away.
KM4353

Don't try it. I'm a minority (Asian) and my best friend is black. I was … Don't try it. I'm a minority (Asian) and my best friend is black. I was giving you a detailed story.

You need to understand that it does not matter if you are black, white, green or purple with white spots. 3 men of any skin colour or ethnicity could have turned up to buy your bike and treated you in an identical manner. Why mention it?

If you think your ethnicity changes what you say. You're wrong.
Edited by: "Lyrrad" 25th Oct 2015
KM4353

Ooooh the old "my best friend is black so I can't be racist" line X)
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants