Groups
    EXPIRED

LG 42" Plasma vs LCD

long time reader 1st time poster!!!! I am looking to buy a big flat TV.
    I have been reading about and some of the other recomendations either the 42" LG Plasma or the LG LCD.

They are both really similar in spec and price, so how do I choose? Has anyone got any point of view as to what i should take into account? Are there any others that I should consider? Are these (digitaldirect) the best prices available at the mo?

Thanks for the advise.

D

LCD
    digitaldirect.co.uk/pro…DOW
    Plasma
    digitaldirect.co.uk/pro…188

8 Comments

Hi & welcome

IMO the LG models are not the ones to go for. While it is tempting given their price you'll pretty much get results relating to price.

Normally Plasma sets will give a better picture, more vivid colours & contrast.
    They also have a better response time typically half or better over a LCD so you'll get much less smearing and greater detail in moving scenes.

Initially LCD looks good as it uses back lighting to produce a bright image but after a while becomes unnatural. Any large screen LCD generally struggles to look half decent when a SD signal is inputted but improves dramatically on HD signals.

The Plasma models have incorrect colour hues which is why I don't recommend them. Easy to see you just have to compare them to their elder stablemates PX5E which is a much better set or indeed other competition.

As far as your question goes I find that difficult to answer given my reasoning.

i have an LG 42" plasma. i have heard many horror stories, mainly from people who dont own one. you can get problems with any set.
    I have had mine for 6 weeks, it has about 450hours on it and the picture is amazing, for sky and 360. And its a beautiful tv too!!

Original Poster

Thanks for the tips but now I am further from making a decision. If you don't love the LG..... any suggestions of an alternative???

D

Check out AVforums for the best info but those using the Samsung panels tend to be of at least satisfactory quality (mine is).. and alot of people love the Bravia for high quality image processing.

Original Poster

thanks but which av forum would you recomend?

I have a Sony KDL40v2000, I am very impressed with it, had it for about four month now, there are some pretty good deals on the W series now which has full HD resolution, sony are seriously overstocked on these and have been selling them to their dealers very very cheap, so you may find they will do you a deal.:thumbsup:

dturner

thanks but which av forum would you recomend?

Think they mean: avforums.com/for…php

dturner

Thanks for the tips but now I am further from making a decision. If you … Thanks for the tips but now I am further from making a decision. If you don't love the LG..... any suggestions of an alternative???D

Personal favourites are Pioneer PX427/4270 plasma; Panasonic PX60/600 in 37 or 42" models. Philips Plasma (model # defies me right now). Loewe LCD or Toshiba Regza LCD although I know from personal experience the Tosh in detail terms does not live up to the Panny plasmas but do give good rich colours.

Also look at some older LG's like the PX5E which IMO are much better than those you mentioned.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Best VR games?22
      2. What to do?????23
      3. Virgin Media Superhub 3 Settings55
      4. Good Sim only deals??611

See more discussions