LG 8 Series OLED's

Found 9th May
So, it looks like the 8 series is here and available for sale, at last.

Prices at Richer Sounds as follows

LG OLED77C8 - £7,999
LG OLED65E8 - £4,499
LG OLED65C8 - £3,999
LG OLED55E8 - £3,599
LG OLED55C8 - £2,999

What we thinking then?
More expensive that thought?
Less expensive?

How cheap can we expect this years lot to get?
Community Updates
MiscMovie & Series
13 Comments
If you're paying 3k for a 55" tv then you're in a minority. OLED has more cons than pros in my eyes. I think £1500 for a 65" is more reasonable.
kester7647 m ago

If you're paying 3k for a 55" tv then you're in a minority. OLED has more …If you're paying 3k for a 55" tv then you're in a minority. OLED has more cons than pros in my eyes. I think £1500 for a 65" is more reasonable.

Well obviously. 3k for a TV is daft, but people buy them nonetheless. Prices will fall eventually as the technology matures.

Disagree regarding OLED having more cons than pros. In my opionion, the only noteable con is peak brightness in HDR content. Other than that, OLED has a definite edge over LED/LCD (imho etc)
BirchieBirch8 h, 56 m ago

Well obviously. 3k for a TV is daft, but people buy them nonetheless. …Well obviously. 3k for a TV is daft, but people buy them nonetheless. Prices will fall eventually as the technology matures. Disagree regarding OLED having more cons than pros. In my opionion, the only noteable con is peak brightness in HDR content. Other than that, OLED has a definite edge over LED/LCD (imho etc)

Screen burn in is a massive issue with these sets. Heard rumours that they can sun bleach in certain situations.

Pointless having a super bright tv if it leaves ghosts all over the screen.

Also OLED prices are still twice the price of LCD displays and I can't see the gap reducing. The tech looks nice but is just a stop gap till cheaper tech comes along.
mLED will be the must have by the end of the year.
More than i would spend on a TV by about a grand. I'm sure they are good though.

OLED is clearly superior to LCD, unless you are blind i suppose.
Dilithium53 m ago

mLED will be the must have by the end of the year.

MicroLED won't be a viable option for at least 5 years - definitely not in the price range of current OLED's anyway (£1500 for a 55")

Very promising tech though!
kester762 h, 11 m ago

Screen burn in is a massive issue with these sets. Heard rumours that they …Screen burn in is a massive issue with these sets. Heard rumours that they can sun bleach in certain situations.Pointless having a super bright tv if it leaves ghosts all over the screen.Also OLED prices are still twice the price of LCD displays and I can't see the gap reducing. The tech looks nice but is just a stop gap till cheaper tech comes along.

Screen burn isn't an issue if you know how to look after it. Same with Plasma. Taking a little extra care of your set is a small concession for superior tech imho.

Not read anything about sun bleacing so can't comment on that.

Price is also relative. I'd take a B/C7 at £1500 over a similarly priced LED all day long. Infact, you'd have to pay a fair amount more than that to find an LED set that out performs either the B7 or C7
BirchieBirch2 h, 7 m ago

Screen burn isn't an issue if you know how to look after it. Same with …Screen burn isn't an issue if you know how to look after it. Same with Plasma. Taking a little extra care of your set is a small concession for superior tech imho.Not read anything about sun bleacing so can't comment on that.Price is also relative. I'd take a B/C7 at £1500 over a similarly priced LED all day long. Infact, you'd have to pay a fair amount more than that to find an LED set that out performs either the B7 or C7

Not arguing with that but stating that a display of that cost shouldn't dictate what you watch. OLED is expensive and do you really need studio quality colourspace or will something at half the price be good enough. If OLED was the answer then LG wouldn't be heavily investing in nanocell. When I buy something I tend to view it and see if I can actually see the difference between two models. It just has to be good enough and I'm not pulling out devices to check nits, after all there's no reason to get a tan off your TV
kester7616 h, 44 m ago

If you're paying 3k for a 55" tv then you're in a minority. OLED has more …If you're paying 3k for a 55" tv then you're in a minority. OLED has more cons than pros in my eyes. I think £1500 for a 65" is more reasonable.

Every piece of tech has it's negatives however, having owned several types of panel - the preceding model to this is an awesome TV and picture quality unsurpassed - in my opinion.
kester7617 h, 4 m ago

More cons? you obviously haven’t owned one mate.
Justsuperman1 h, 54 m ago

More cons? you obviously haven’t owned one mate.

I think that's a given. Most of display use I need requires static images so not suitable.
so is 3d totaly dead now?
miles1367 h, 54 m ago

so is 3d totaly dead now?

Not sure it was ever really alive...but yeah, pretty much
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants