Expired

LG G2 help - how do I access USB storage without using touchscreen?

Found 24th Nov 2013
So basically i'm screwed. I stupidly dropped my G2, the screen is now cracked. This means I cannot choose the 'USB storage' option when I plug in my USB cable, so nothing shows up on my PC. All I want to do is save my files. Does anyone here tech savvy enough with Android know how I can access the USB storage? Cheers
Community Updates
9 Comments
If you tap your finger three times on the back of the phone and then quickly blow into the mic after connecting the USB cable it will automatically go into usb storage mode.
Original Poster
Grow up. Any real help please anyone?
Do you have a custom recovery? if so you could connect a USB stick via an OTG cable, then create a backup from the custom recovery like CWM or TWRP
Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be an option here. Unless the data is saved to a memory card or there is a application such as samsung kies (but for LG), you probably have lost the data. Do you have auto-sync turned on for backing up to the cloud?
Original Poster
neilmc1983

Do you have a custom recovery? if so you could connect a USB stick via … Do you have a custom recovery? if so you could connect a USB stick via an OTG cable, then create a backup from the custom recovery like CWM or TWRP

No custom recovery at all, it's as I bought it from new. Only had it a few week(

Captainbeavus

Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be an option here. Unless the data is … Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be an option here. Unless the data is saved to a memory card or there is a application such as samsung kies (but for LG), you probably have lost the data. Do you have auto-sync turned on for backing up to the cloud?

Tried that, but it requires me to choose an option on the phone. No nothing just contacts etc. All I wanted to recover were the pictures
Bhav007

[quote=neilmc1983] Do you have a custom recovery? if so you could connect … [quote=neilmc1983] Do you have a custom recovery? if so you could connect a USB stick via an OTG cable, then create a backup from the custom recovery like CWM or TWRP

No custom recovery at all, it's as I bought it from new. Only had it a few week(

Shame because you could of backed up the phone from the custom recovery as you dont need the touch screen for this, just the vol and power buttons
neilmc1983

Do you have a custom recovery? if so you could connect a USB stick via … Do you have a custom recovery? if so you could connect a USB stick via an OTG cable, then create a backup from the custom recovery like CWM or TWRP

Captainbeavus

Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be an option here. Unless the data … Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be an option here. Unless the data is saved to a memory card or there is a application such as samsung kies (but for LG), you probably have lost the data. Do you have auto-sync turned on for backing up to the cloud?

Looks like you've the pictures then. If you've only had it a week, how many pictures could you have taken? And if they were transferred over to the phone, surely they would be backed up somewhere else?
Banned
Does it not show up as a drive under My Computer when you connect it to your PC via USB?

Have you installed the correct drivers on your PC?

Have you installed the Android SDK/ADB, the ADT bundle, or anything like that on your PC?

Did you root your phone?

Did you enable USB Debugging in the developer options on your G2 before you knackered the screen?

If all of the above is "no", then if I were you I'd just install Koush's universal driver, connect your phone via USB, and see how you go from there. Otherwise - apart from what's been automatically backed up to the cloud, if you'd set that up/allowed it - if you want to retrieve more from your device then you'll be better off asking over on XDA than on here, fella.

(Basically, I'd think that if it's not showing up under My Computer as a drive when you connect it to your PC once you either have the correct drivers installed/Koush's driver, or if you haven't enabled USB Debugging already, then you're stuck with whatever settings, data, and media you have allowed to be backed up to Google's servers by their services, or any others like Dropbox that you may have been using as a backup for your media. I may be wrong though, and XDA would be a better place to ask. Without USB Debugging being on already there'll be no way to use ADB - and especially with Android 4.3 upwards as you'd have to accept the certificate to do with RSA on the touchscreen of your phone for security reasons. So...if you don't already have USB Debugging enabled then I reckon it's install the correct driver(s) and hope you can get some access if/when it shows up under My Computer on your PC. I'm no master with Android though, which is why I say check at XDA too.)

Oh, and as has been said - if it's only pics that you've taken with your phone that you're worried about then they should all be with Google (assuming you've allowed them to be backed up to the cloud, and the quality will depend on what settings you chose too). They'll be there under your pics in Google+/Picasa. If it's pics that you've transferred over, downloaded from online, or screenshots, then that might be a different matter, depending upon how you'd set your phone up. That goes for call logs, SMS, MMS, app data, Whatsapp messages, and other stuff too - it all depends how you had your cloud backups running and which apps and services you chose to use or allow.

Plug a cordless mouse into your lg g2 via your charg port if u can still see your screen
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants