LG G4 Loose Charging Port – Warranty Repair/Replacement Options?

Found 6th Jun 2017
I have owned a LG G4 for a little under a year. The phone was bought from Amazon (Warehouse Deals) last July. Over the last couple of days I have noticed the micro USB charging lead seems to be making very weak/loose contact with the phone charging socket and the phone will only charge very intermittently and even when it does charge it is much slower than it used to. I have swapped micro USB lead to eliminate that. I have tried to be careful with the phone but as the battery life is fairly limited I do have to charge it every night and suspect the wear and tear of removing and reconnecting the cable has taken its toll.

It is a shame as I really like the phone and it is still very well specified and more than ample for my needs. As it is still within 12 months of purchase I should hopefully be able to send it back to Amazon, but the problem is as it was an Amazon warehouse purchase they will only offer a refund and I’d much rather have a replacement or repair as I like the phone a lot and did get a really good deal on the phone and even now am not sure I could replace it for the amount I would be refunded.

Is it possible I would have more luck in returning it directly to LG themselves? I heard that the G4 had its warranty extended due to the bootloop issue. Though my phone doesn’t have this (touch wood) I wonder if I could still get this repaired direct with LG thanks to the warranty extension?

I suppose the other option would be to try and repair it myself but I’m not that confident with advanced repairs that require soldering and if I made a mess of it I would invalidate the warranty for sure. Another possibility may be to not use the charging port at all and see if I can get a wireless charger for it, but I’m not familiar with the technology and have no idea if the G4 would be compatible?

Any advice appreciated
Community Updates
AskLG
12 Comments
Going straight to the wireless charging solution, it is possible. I believe you need to buy the wireless charging case (back cover) and a wireless charger. I'm sure you could get both for under 15 quid.
could be wrong but I think it's only 90 day warranty​ warehouse deals
japes

could be wrong but I think it's only 90 day warranty warehouse deals

Nope a full year warranty
With the LG warranty you have to be the first user of the phone and have original purchase receipt, I went through them for a repair with an amazon warehouse and they were awful. Your only options are as said above, wireless charge, try and fix yourself (not sure if they are soldered on those phones) or get the full refund and buy the better G5.
stoneblade45 m ago

With the LG warranty you have to be the first user of the phone and have …With the LG warranty you have to be the first user of the phone and have original purchase receipt, I went through them for a repair with an amazon warehouse and they were awful. Your only options are as said above, wireless charge, try and fix yourself (not sure if they are soldered on those phones) or get the full refund and buy the better G5.

Think I'm going to go with wireless charging, but for a moment assuming I could get a refund from Amazon, would the £170 I paid for the G4 get many anything better today? even in the used market (doesn't have to be by LG)? I generally like to keep hold of my smartphones for a full two years before upgrading, to feel I have gotten real value out of them, but if there are some really great smart phone bargains out there right now, I might consider it. All hypothetical of course, and assuming Amazon would be willing to take it back....
ST3123

Think I'm going to go with wireless charging, but for a moment assuming … Think I'm going to go with wireless charging, but for a moment assuming I could get a refund from Amazon, would the £170 I paid for the G4 get many anything better today? even in the used market (doesn't have to be by LG)? I generally like to keep hold of my smartphones for a full two years before upgrading, to feel I have gotten real value out of them, but if there are some really great smart phone bargains out there right now, I might consider it. All hypothetical of course, and assuming Amazon would be willing to take it back....

Might as well get your money back. You can buy a G5 for not much more than that from Cex
Check the lead 1st as they're more likely to fail on their pins than the socket.
Why don't you just return it to Amazon and with the money buy another one or a better phone.
RiverDragon82 h, 40 m ago

Why don't you just return it to Amazon and with the money buy another one …Why don't you just return it to Amazon and with the money buy another one or a better phone.

I'm seriously considering this as smart phones seem to change so quickly, I could probably get a better spec now for a similar price. Thing is I don't really keep up with them so don't really know what is good at the moment in the sub £200 price range? I know a G5 is an obvious upgrade but I'm not a fan of the smaller screen (only 5.3") and the CPU seems weaker at only quad core versus hex in the G4?

Any other good options apart from a G5? I like a big screen 5.5" plus (at least) 32GB storage and a decent camera but pretty flexible on the rest...
kester7613 h, 59 m ago

Check the lead 1st as they're more likely to fail on their pins than the …Check the lead 1st as they're more likely to fail on their pins than the socket.

I've changed the lead once. The new lead says it is charging, which is better than the last one, which point blank didnt do anything, but where as the old lead used to charge it very quickly (to full in a couple hours) the new one barely puts anything in it (maybe a few % in an hour at best), still using the original charger. Can some leads not carry much power?, should I try a third lead?
ST3123

I've changed the lead once. The new lead says it is charging, which is … I've changed the lead once. The new lead says it is charging, which is better than the last one, which point blank didnt do anything, but where as the old lead used to charge it very quickly (to full in a couple hours) the new one barely puts anything in it (maybe a few % in an hour at best), still using the original charger. Can some leads not carry much power?, should I try a third lead?

I would I've not researched it but the thicker cables tend to allow more juice not sure if this is due to cable resistance or some other logic is in play. The sockets on older devices tend to work loose but no near as quick as the charge cables.
ST3123

I'm seriously considering this as smart phones seem to change so quickly, … I'm seriously considering this as smart phones seem to change so quickly, I could probably get a better spec now for a similar price. Thing is I don't really keep up with them so don't really know what is good at the moment in the sub £200 price range? I know a G5 is an obvious upgrade but I'm not a fan of the smaller screen (only 5.3") and the CPU seems weaker at only quad core versus hex in the G4? Any other good options apart from a G5? I like a big screen 5.5" plus (at least) 32GB storage and a decent camera but pretty flexible on the rest...

You should be looking at a phone with a SD820 (2016 flagship chipset). For example.
I would first look in to what Kester76 has said and try a different cable, I've owned 2 android devices with 'loose charging port' they both were fixed with a different cable. I use these cables.

Edited by: "RiverDragon8" 7th Jun 2017
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions