LG G4 stuck in boot loop.

Found 28th Jun 2016
I take it I won't be able to recover anything from my phone now?

Will the factory reset work before I send it off?

1. Ask
  2. LG
  3. LG G4
Groups
  1. Ask
  2. LG
  3. LG G4
34 Comments

Should of went to specsavers!

send it off? just accept the loss and re-flash the phone.

Original Poster

adsjones

send it off? just accept the loss and re-flash the phone.

It's a known hardware fault, a loose connection. Seems it needs a repair.

Juzza12

​I had to send mine off back to Amazon because of the bootloop issue. I couldn't even restore the phone so everything was still on there when I sent it back. I did get a full refund though

Try this.....

https://m.reddit.com/r/lgg4/comments/3oos3e/lg_g4_stuck_in_boot_loop_pulled_battery_tried_all/

Post your looking for is the 2nd one.

Original Poster

cleverguy12

​I had to send mine off back to Amazon because of the bootloop issue. I c … ​I had to send mine off back to Amazon because of the bootloop issue. I couldn't even restore the phone so everything was still on there when I sent it back. I did get a full refund though

Thanks, may not bother with the reset then and hope it comes back with everything still there.

Original Poster

Evouk

Try … Try this.....https://m.reddit.com/r/lgg4/comments/3oos3e/lg_g4_stuck_in_boot_loop_pulled_battery_tried_all/Post your looking for is the 2nd one.

Thank you.

Juzza12

​ahh I see wasn't aware of that I just assumed it was a rom problem.
my bad dudes carry on

Try LG recovery tool.

If it's photos you're going to lose, next time use Google Photos. You get unlimited back up for free.
Never understand why people still don't back up their pictures. (Assuming this is the problem).

If you can get into the recovery mode at the start, sure you could use an otg cable and copy stuff to your pc.

Original Poster

artnada

If it's photos you're going to lose, next time use Google Photos. You get … If it's photos you're going to lose, next time use Google Photos. You get unlimited back up for free. Never understand why people still don't back up their pictures. (Assuming this is the problem).

Yes mainly photos that I wanted to back up. I was using Google Photos once a week to back up, but all of a sudden it started trying to back up my entire Gallery and not just what was new.

Original Poster

Thanks for all of your help, it turned on long enough for me to back up my photos.

Good news. Let Google photos back up as you take pics automatically. If you have unlimited data plan. You won't even know it's doing it.

I realise this is an old thread but I would like to add something for those who have only just found out about the issue.

The 'boot loop' was first reported with phones who's serial number started with 505 (May 2015), probably because they were the first batch manufactured. Since then the issue has been reported in almost every batch including the latest 60x series.

From what I can gather a pin or trace leading to the SoC (CPU) is subject to either mechanical or thermal stress, perhaps both and as a result the solder cracks slowly until the contact becomes intermittent. I believe the XBox had a similar issue with it's "red ring of death" and interestingly the temporary fix appears to be the same: you can try contracting the joint if it's not too bad by placing the phone in a ziplock bag, sealing it and putting it into the freezer for a few minutes. After you take it out the joint may have contracted sufficently for you to get your data off but you'd need to be quick as the fault will return as the phone warms up and joint expands. Alternatively you can attempt to reflow the joint in your home oven but again this is only likely to be a temporary fix.

As for the fault itself, I believe this is a design flaw and that all G4's are effected. If I'm correct and if you have a G4 then it's likely that sooner or later you'll experience the boot loop problem and so my suggestion would be that you get rid of the phone ASAP and stay away from future LG phones. By not redesigning the mainboard or extending the warranty to cover this specific fault by another 2 or 3 years they clearly don't give a s**t about their customers so don't give them your patronage.

Original Poster

LandOfConfusion

I realise this is an old thread but I would like to add something for … I realise this is an old thread but I would like to add something for those who have only just found out about the issue.The 'boot loop' was first reported with phones who's serial number started with 505 (May 2015), probably because they were the first batch manufactured. Since then the issue has been reported in almost every batch including the latest 60x series.From what I can gather a pin or trace leading to the SoC (CPU) is subject to either mechanical or thermal stress, perhaps both and as a result the solder cracks slowly until the contact becomes intermittent. I believe the XBox had a similar issue with it's "red ring of death" and interestingly the temporary fix appears to be the same: you can try contracting the joint if it's not too bad by placing the phone in a ziplock bag, sealing it and putting it into the freezer for a few minutes. After you take it out the joint may have contracted sufficently for you to get your data off but you'd need to be quick as the fault will return as the phone warms up and joint expands. Alternatively you can attempt to reflow the joint in your home oven but again this is only likely to be a temporary fix.As for the fault itself, I believe this is a design flaw and that all G4's are effected. If I'm correct and if you have a G4 then it's likely that sooner or later you'll experience the boot loop problem and so my suggestion would be that you get rid of the phone ASAP and stay away from future LG phones. By not redesigning the mainboard or extending the warranty to cover this specific fault by another 2 or 3 years they clearly don't give a s**t about their customers so don't give them your patronage.

The freezer method kind of worked for me, although I had to keep it in there for far longer than a few minutes, and even then with keeping the phone in there I didn't get it on long enough to do anything.

Strangely enough, what worked for me in the end was fully charging it. That allowed me enough time to get a back up done with LG Bridge on my PC.

I do agree that they should extend the warranty. I'm not sure what the law is for an issue like this where an item is out of warranty but you can prove the fault is inherent.

Juzza12

Strangely enough, what worked for me in the end was fully charging it. … Strangely enough, what worked for me in the end was fully charging it. That allowed me enough time to get a back up done with LG Bridge on my PC.

Your phone may well have heated up during charging causing the joint to expand and make contact.

Juzza12

I do agree that they should extend the warranty. I'm not sure what the … I do agree that they should extend the warranty. I'm not sure what the law is for an issue like this where an item is out of warranty but you can prove the fault is inherent.

The law states that goods must be durable and I would suggest that as LG has already admitted that these devices suffer from a fault, that this is an admission of liability and in any case that a modern phone should last much longer than the 1 year warranty.

Of course your only comeback would therefore be against the retailer who sold it to you and they'll almost certainly resist, leaving you with no other choice than to either drop the case or take it to the small claims court.

If anyone does this (it can be done online) then a copy of LG's statement admitting that there is a fault would be a good idea to submit or if they defend the case, to take 3 copies with you (the retailer usually has to come to your local court, incidentally).

LandOfConfusion

I realise this is an old thread but I would like to add something for … I realise this is an old thread but I would like to add something for those who have only just found out about the issue.The 'boot loop' was first reported with phones who's serial number started with 505 (May 2015), probably because they were the first batch manufactured. Since then the issue has been reported in almost every batch including the latest 60x series.From what I can gather a pin or trace leading to the SoC (CPU) is subject to either mechanical or thermal stress, perhaps both and as a result the solder cracks slowly until the contact becomes intermittent. I believe the XBox had a similar issue with it's "red ring of death" and interestingly the temporary fix appears to be the same: you can try contracting the joint if it's not too bad by placing the phone in a ziplock bag, sealing it and putting it into the freezer for a few minutes. After you take it out the joint may have contracted sufficently for you to get your data off but you'd need to be quick as the fault will return as the phone warms up and joint expands. Alternatively you can attempt to reflow the joint in your home oven but again this is only likely to be a temporary fix.As for the fault itself, I believe this is a design flaw and that all G4's are effected. If I'm correct and if you have a G4 then it's likely that sooner or later you'll experience the boot loop problem and so my suggestion would be that you get rid of the phone ASAP and stay away from future LG phones. By not redesigning the mainboard or extending the warranty to cover this specific fault by another 2 or 3 years they clearly don't give a s**t about their customers so don't give them your patronage.

Could you source where its been reported in the more recent batches? I've got a 511 from Vodafone and therefore believed I was safe, but this has now worried me.
Thanks

SupremeJaguar

Could you source where its been reported in the more recent batches? I've … Could you source where its been reported in the more recent batches? I've got a 511 from Vodafone and therefore believed I was safe, but this has now worried me.Thanks

I did a lot of research when looking into this but unfortunately didn't keep records of who said what, although I do remember that one of the best sources of information was a German forum (just can't remember which!).

There is this though:

Hello there, I can confirm. Had my G4 with s/n 512 replaced with 603 s/n … Hello there, I can confirm. Had my G4 with s/n 512 replaced with 603 s/n about a week ago, yesterday it went into boot loop again!

[source]

512 = December 2015. 603 = March 2016. As I said, from the scant details supplied it seems to be a design and not a process issue and given the G4 is no longer in production, having been replaced by the G5, it wouldn't make sense to do a re-design anyway. Just fix it for long enough so that the warranty runs out before it happens again.

And as a side point it seems their previous models also had problems; the G2 had a couple of common issues including one where the digitizer started going non-linear and the G3 had problems with the microphone losing sensitivity and another where users noticed a sudden loss of battery life coupled with overheating. As all these things occurred over time it leads me to think that LG (who's phone devision has never had a great reputation) really does consider these devices to be disposable.

SupremeJaguar

Could you source where its been reported in the more recent batches? … Could you source where its been reported in the more recent batches? I've got a 511 from Vodafone and therefore believed I was safe, but this has now worried me.Thanks

Hello there, I can confirm. Had my G4 with s/n 512 replaced with 603 s/n … Hello there, I can confirm. Had my G4 with s/n 512 replaced with 603 s/n about a week ago, yesterday it went into boot loop again!

I think most phone manufacturers aren't interested unless it affects a larger propotion of their production models. My Galaxy S4 couldn't do low resistant headphones as it distorted and trashed the sound. Dodgy headphone sockets is another issue with most phones. Strange that my original galaxy s1 is rock solid and has zero issues but I put that down to quality depreciation over the years. People now expect a high cost item to fail after 2-3 years as this is the norm because they're complicated and so much can go wrong with them oO

SupremeJaguar

Could you source where its been reported in the more recent batches? … Could you source where its been reported in the more recent batches? I've got a 511 from Vodafone and therefore believed I was safe, but this has now worried me.Thanks

Ok, I will have to ensure i'm backed up regularly. Funnily enough, i've also got a G2, which is still running strong.
Thanks

kester76

People now expect a high cost item to fail after 2-3 years as this is the … People now expect a high cost item to fail after 2-3 years as this is the norm because they're complicated and so much can go wrong with them oO

SupremeJaguar

Funnily enough, i've also got a G2, which is still running strong.

I believe it was Henry Ford who once told his engineers to go out to scrap yards and find out which parts always survive. When the answer came back - that kingpins were the most reliable part - he allegedly said words to the effect that 'we can save money by making it less well engineered'.

From what I've seen phones these days are apparently designed to be disposable - I still have an HTC wildfire for example and it still works fine yet I know of people who have had much newer phones which have failed, with headphone sockets in particular seeming to be a weak point. You could probably say the kingpins have been identified.

But then I guess that's the modern mobile phone business model: find ways to force users to continually upgrade.

http://assets.amuniversal.com/b1eac7f02f4901348be4005056a9545d
[source]

This just happened to me and to say I am miffed is an understatement. I have conversations and pictures I would like to save but pictures more importantly. I have been offered a refund so I will be buying a S6 edge with the money. Hopefully following the steps mentioned I can get it to turn on long enough to back up my pics. I hope it works as I am not a tech geek.

Evor

This just happened to me and to say I am miffed is an understatement. I … This just happened to me and to say I am miffed is an understatement. I have conversations and pictures I would like to save but pictures more importantly. I have been offered a refund so I will be buying a S6 edge with the money. Hopefully following the steps mentioned I can get it to turn on long enough to back up my pics. I hope it works as I am not a tech geek.

Sad and also worrying to hear
Have you tried the freezer method to recover data?

Do you know what three digits does your serial number end in? (it is one of the so-called "affected" batches?)
Also what retailer offered the refund?
Thanks

SupremeJaguar

Sad and also worrying to hear :(Have you tried the freezer method to … Sad and also worrying to hear :(Have you tried the freezer method to recover data?Do you know what three digits does your serial number end in? (it is one of the so-called "affected" batches?)Also what retailer offered the refund?Thanks

Thanks. I bought it from Amazon just under a year ago. I was offered a replacement or refund so I opted for a refund as I don't want this happening again. I read about the freezer method briefly but I am not sure how it works? My S/N starts with 506 and ends with 432. I am really disappointed as I loved my phone up till today. Have you got the same phone?

Evor

Thanks. I bought it from Amazon just under a year ago. I was offered a … Thanks. I bought it from Amazon just under a year ago. I was offered a replacement or refund so I opted for a refund as I don't want this happening again. I read about the freezer method briefly but I am not sure how it works? My S/N starts with 506 and ends with 432. I am really disappointed as I loved my phone up till today. Have you got the same phone?

I sure do (510 serial from Vodafone), I mistakenly asked for the last three numbers when it is actually the first three that are of use (which you have also stated).

These threads are both worth a read:
https://www.reddit.com/r/lgg4/comments/3wir18/psa_if_you_purchased_a_g4_before_october_it_may/
http://forum.xda-developers.com/tmobile-g4/help/how-to-recover-data-boot-loop-defect-t3297766
https://www.reddit.com/r/lgg4/comments/46dytu/baking_freezer_method_result_thread/

It's very worrying as it seems as this would just occur out of the blue. The freezer method should be enough for you to retrieve the data stored on the phone.
Good luck with your attempt to retrieve the data, hope it is a success

Edited by: "SupremeJaguar" 28th Aug 2016

Evor

Thanks. I bought it from Amazon just under a year ago. I was offered a … Thanks. I bought it from Amazon just under a year ago. I was offered a replacement or refund so I opted for a refund as I don't want this happening again. I read about the freezer method briefly but I am not sure how it works? My S/N starts with 506 and ends with 432. I am really disappointed as I loved my phone up till today. Have you got the same phone?

Didn't you know this phone was notorious for this problem? Why did you turn goggle photos backup off?

chocci

Didn't you know this phone was notorious for this problem?

It's not something LG seems to advertise, strangely.

Evor

My S/N starts with 506

That's June 2015, so a little more than a year. Actually that's pretty good going, there's been reports of phones made around then lasting more like 6 months or less.

Also supposedly LG has 'fixed' the issue although I don't see how as it appear to be a design fault and much later phones (60x series) have been reported as having this problem.

Edited by: "LandOfConfusion" 28th Aug 2016

SupremeJaguar

I sure do (510 serial from Vodafone), I mistakenly asked for the last … I sure do (510 serial from Vodafone), I mistakenly asked for the last three numbers when it is actually the first three that are of use (which you have also stated). These threads are both worth a read:https://www.reddit.com/r/lgg4/comments/3wir18/psa_if_you_purchased_a_g4_before_october_it_may/http://forum.xda-developers.com/tmobile-g4/help/how-to-recover-data-boot-loop-defect-t3297766https://www.reddit.com/r/lgg4/comments/46dytu/baking_freezer_method_result_thread/It's very worrying as it seems as this would just occur out of the blue. The freezer method should be enough for you to retrieve the data stored on the phone. Good luck with your attempt to retrieve the data, hope it is a success

Thanks a lot hey. I have put it in the freezer whilst I back up my photos via OneDrive. I will have a look at the links you have sent as well. I hope you manage/d to change your handset to something more reliable!!

chocci

Didn't you know this phone was notorious for this problem? Why did you … Didn't you know this phone was notorious for this problem? Why did you turn goggle photos backup off?

I had no idea this was a common problem and considering I do take care of the phone I never anticipated this to happen. Google photos was off due to privacy issues. It seems Google wants to control every aspect of your life hence! I am using OneDrive now and I will kiss goodbye to my texts etc.

chocci

Didn't you know this phone was notorious for this problem?

Evor

My S/N starts with 506

Well I won't be buying their phones again. They are clearly complacent in sorting this - the only major problem with the phone. Their loss. I will be buying a S6 edge and backing everything up pronto.

Juzza12

The freezer method kind of worked for me, although I had to keep it in … The freezer method kind of worked for me, although I had to keep it in there for far longer than a few minutes, and even then with keeping the phone in there I didn't get it on long enough to do anything. Strangely enough, what worked for me in the end was fully charging it. That allowed me enough time to get a back up done with LG Bridge on my PC.I do agree that they should extend the warranty. I'm not sure what the law is for an issue like this where an item is out of warranty but you can prove the fault is inherent.

​+1 from a past victim. LG never again.

Bought a lg g4 off a mate 9 months ago as he never like it.. Just got the boot loop. Dam it! Just out of 12 months warranty to. Sent lg a message via support online 3 days ago but no reply. Don't think I can do anything about it other than buy a new phone. Was brilliant phone though. Not sure what to get next.. One plus 3 I guess. Back on s3 at mo and it's terrible in comparison to g4. . Works though
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants