LG GRL207TUJA Fridge/Freezer Ice Maker Issue

Found 8th Jun 2015
Hi, I need help with my LG GRL207TUJA fridge/freezer as for the last few days it's not making any ice. I have the checked the water connection & that's fine as water is dispensed through the water dispenser but there is no sign of ice. When I press the test button, the ice making tray rotates & then water pours into the tray but that's it. The only way ice is produced is by pressing the test button otherwise it's not producing it automatically.

The manual only talks about the water connection & temperature but they both are fine.

Any suggestions ?

Thank You.
Community Updates
12 Comments
jamilayz

Hi, I need help with my LG GRL207TUJA fridge/freezer as for the … Hi, I need help with my LG GRL207TUJA fridge/freezer as for the last few days it's not making any ice. I have the checked the water connection & that's fine as water is dispensed through the water dispenser but there is no sign of ice. When I press the test button, the ice making tray rotates & then water pours into the tray but that's it. The only way ice is produced is by pressing the test button otherwise it's not producing it automatically.The manual only talks about the water connection & temperature but they both are fine.Any suggestions ? Thank You.

Did you get any joy with your problem?

I have the exact same model and my ice tray wasn't dropping, managed to get it to rotate, but after it filled back up with water ok, it hasn't dropped the ice again, and now the test button won't even work. Bah!

edit: ok mine just dropped the new ice I started last night, now it wont fill with water, need to drag it out I think.

Edited by: "meherenow" 25th Jun 2015
Hi, No joy with my problem as contacted LG & they referred to external servicing companies for more information as Fridge/Freezer is more than 8 years old. I took the Solenoid & Ice Maker unit out to examine but can't find any fault with it as tested it using multimeter. The water inlet line is okay as has got a high pressure. The only way I can make the ice is by pressing the test button but afterwards it doesn't work on it's own.

One company quoted over £300 but that's excessive as a new similar fridge can be brought for around £550.
jamilayz

Hi, No joy with my problem as contacted LG & they referred to external … Hi, No joy with my problem as contacted LG & they referred to external servicing companies for more information as Fridge/Freezer is more than 8 years old. I took the Solenoid & Ice Maker unit out to examine but can't find any fault with it as tested it using multimeter. The water inlet line is okay as has got a high pressure. The only way I can make the ice is by pressing the test button but afterwards it doesn't work on it's own.One company quoted over £300 but that's excessive as a new similar fridge can be brought for around £550.

Hmm, mine seems to be working again.

I just pulled out the ice bucket and the little cubby hole shelf above it, cleared off some built up ice and manually removed all the ice from the ice making tray.

Also there's a little plastic bit that sticks out of the arm that tells the mechanism when the ice box is full, mine was pushed in so I just flicked it out again (it flicks in and out easily, I think this stops the ice from being made when the lever can't lower because the ice box is full) - I dunno, I'm thinking maybe it thought it was full? I think fiddling with this lever/flicky switch helped.

Anyway, when all was empty I turned the ice off and on again at the switch and it's started making ice again.

Took a while though - the freezer has to be back down to a certain temp or it won't start making it so it took a few hours before I heard the tray dropping and the water inlet filling it up again.

Have to say this is really the only problem I've had with this in the nearly 9 years we've had it, just seemed to happen after a few power cuts round here last week. Only real quibble I have with it it's going a bit rusty under the paint round the water dispenser, but can't grumble really, I like my fridge super cold and nobody else's fridge seems to offer the same refreshing ice cold beverages!

The price to fix is is horrendous! If anything went seriously wrong I would just have to wave it goodbye - I just found my receipt for it, £599 and I seemed to have used some 10% discount code bringing it down to £540 - also I remember the door handles had a big score right across them (obv some moron from Currys took a stanley knife to it while unpacking it) so they gave me a bung back for that, nice! LG then just sent me two entire replacement doors - was saying to the missus that I wish I had kept them for the rusting water dispenser, but then where would you have stored them lol.

Good luck!
meherenow

Hmm, mine seems to be working again.I just pulled out the ice bucket and … Hmm, mine seems to be working again.I just pulled out the ice bucket and the little cubby hole shelf above it, cleared off some built up ice and manually removed all the ice from the ice making tray.Also there's a little plastic bit that sticks out of the arm that tells the mechanism when the ice box is full, mine was pushed in so I just flicked it out again (it flicks in and out easily, I think this stops the ice from being made when the lever can't lower because the ice box is full) - I dunno, I'm thinking maybe it thought it was full? I think fiddling with this lever/flicky switch helped.Anyway, when all was empty I turned the ice off and on again at the switch and it's started making ice again.Took a while though - the freezer has to be back down to a certain temp or it won't start making it so it took a few hours before I heard the tray dropping and the water inlet filling it up again.Have to say this is really the only problem I've had with this in the nearly 9 years we've had it, just seemed to happen after a few power cuts round here last week. Only real quibble I have with it it's going a bit rusty under the paint round the water dispenser, but can't grumble really, I like my fridge super cold and nobody else's fridge seems to offer the same refreshing ice cold beverages!The price to fix is is horrendous! If anything went seriously wrong I would just have to wave it goodbye - I just found my receipt for it, £599 and I seemed to have used some 10% discount code bringing it down to £540 - also I remember the door handles had a big score right across them (obv some moron from Currys took a stanley knife to it while unpacking it) so they gave me a bung back for that, nice! LG then just sent me two entire replacement doors - was saying to the missus that I wish I had kept them for the rusting water dispenser, but then where would you have stored them lol.Good luck!

Thanks, I will try that later on today & will provide an update.
jamilayz

Thanks, I will try that later on today & will provide an update.

How did you get on? Mine filled the ice box and then I noticed it stopped making it again (that tell tale churning of the coil when the box is nearly empty and I'm trying to get some crushed ice out).

Again I just took the ice box out and gave the mechanism a shoogle and it is making the ice again! Strange. Maybe my freezer is set too high(or low as the case may be) - I keep the fridge at 3 bars on the control panel, but I started at the beginning of the year putting the freezer up to 4 bars as it is always cram packed (as it is not as big as it looked) and I found that on the 3 bars the compartments in the door next to the drawers weren't keeping my ice lollies completely solid lol.

Anyway, it lives to fight another day again...
Hi, it doesn't seem to be working as it's making some weird noises. We have given up. But thanks anyway.
Carefull putting to much stuff in fridge it can stop the air circulating and can effect the thermostat probe.
If its making weird noises seems like its had it so back to manual ice cubes,these things are fiddly and unless a loose wire are b.gger to fix.
Edited by: "morrig" 17th Jul 2015
Thanks Everyone for their kind input.
My mum has the american Armana which is a high spec machine and the ice making tray didn't last long either. Moral of the story is don't buy these with ice maker as they won't last long and you end up with useless space for the tray that won't work.
To be honest I have given up on this American Fridge as no one is able to diagnose the problem & it keeps making these weird noises

I have turned off the Ice maker switch but it still keeps happening.
I've just installed an LG GRL207TUJA and can't get the water to the ice tray. Is there a solenoid valve in the water line that needs to operate to fill the ice tray?
Hi All

I came across this site as I had the exact same issue and was sure it wasn't a fault. Basically we had hardly used the ice making facility as it's winter (Who has ice cubes in winter in their drinks?) so I was certain it was a lack of use more than anything. If you look underneath the part where the ice maker is there is a test switch. I also noticed the ice bucket 'arm' was in the down position which would indicate to the machine that the ice bucket is full. Therefore simply put ice bucket full = no more ice. I managed to overcome this issue by pressing the 'test' switch and gently moving the arm up and down a few times (I believe newer models go in and out now). This seemed to release the arm and suddenly the ice making started again. I will monitor this now, but it would make sense that if the ice maker isn't used a lot, IE in winter, the bucket is often full and eventually the arm gets frozen in the full position and so your machine won't make any ice until this is released. I hope this helps others and goes someway to saving everyone a fair amount of money looking at the costs quoted. Also regards the solenoid you can hear this 'click' when you press the ice making on/off switch off and then on, whilst not an exact measure if it clicks this would indicate it is still working I believe
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants