LG Simplink and HDMI ARC?

Found 4th Jul 2016
Hi, wondering if anyone can help me with this, had a quick look round the internet but still not 100% sure. I have an LG TV with 2 HDMI ports, which has a feature called Simplink (which I thought was LG's implementation of HDMI ARC but I may be wrong). I've also just bought a Philips soundbar which has (amongst other connections) an HDMI ARC port and an optical port.

I currently have Sky+ HD plugged into one of the TV's HDMI ports, and a Fire stick in the other. What I want to be able to do is power on the soundbar and control the volume with the Sky remote (as I can if the sound is coming straight from the TV). I have connected up the soundbar via optical and all is OK but I have to use the soundbar remote to switch it on and change volume.

If I plug an HDMI lead from the soundbar HDMI ARC to the TV, will that allow me to control the sound with just the one remote? But with only 2 HDMI I'd need to plug both the Fire stick & Sky into the one remaining HDMI port on the TV - using a splitter?

Or would it work if I just plugged the soundbar into the headphone jack on the TV?

I thought this would be straightforward but obviously not (unless it's just me!).

1. Ask
  2. HDMI
  3. LG
Groups
  1. Ask
  2. HDMI
  3. LG
9 Comments

Simplink is LG's implementation of HDMI CEC.
Edited by: "dcx_badass" 4th Jul 2016

Original Poster

dcx_badass

Thanks for the reply but still not sure exactly what the difference is. From what I read, HDMI CEC should allow me to control the soundbar using the TV (or hopefully Sky) remote. I would just try it, but the soundbar has the connections in slightly awkward recesses on the back and I don't want my fat fingers pulling at them too much

Arc is only implement on the first hdmi port ie port 1, you should have bought a LG sound bar that way you could control it regardless of Port

dcx_badass

I believe it depends on how old the TV is. My LG TV is 6 years old and has simplink which meant I could control the TV and LG surround Sound using 1 remote. Now I've sold the surround sound and got an LG sound bar but simplink doesn't control it via the remote, and none of the hdmi ports send sound to it so I need to use the optical out.

Edited by: "paul1005" 4th Jul 2016

HDMI CEC is a very loose standard which sometimes works well or ends up playing ping pong with your various devices as they fight for control.
I would dump ARC and go optical as you're not going to lose anything that way.

PS Why aren't you controlling the Soundbar volume with your sky remote ?

Original Poster

kester76

HDMI CEC is a very loose standard which sometimes works well or ends up … HDMI CEC is a very loose standard which sometimes works well or ends up playing ping pong with your various devices as they fight for control. I would dump ARC and go optical as you're not going to lose anything that way. PS Why aren't you controlling the Soundbar volume with your sky remote ?

The Sky remote controls the TV volume, but the sound is now coming out of the soundbar via the opitcal cable. So using the Sky remote makes the volume bar come up on screen but has absolutely no effect on the soundbar volume. Should it?

Thanks

Just because you have Simplink doesn't mean it will work on all devices including LG's own. In my living room I have an LG TV, LG Bluray and sky. The skybox and bluray both bring the tv out of sleep when I turn them on. Simplink works with these. In the bedroom I have a different brand of LG tv and LG bluray. Simplink doesn't work on these even though both are Simplink devices. It could be the bluray as it worked with my old Samsund dvd player but not the new LG bluray. Drove me nuts at first and thought it could be the hdmi lead as it was a different one but plugged the old Sammy dvd player in and it worked. I try not to worry about it now. Fire tv worked ok yet my Youview box didn't.
Edited by: "Smartguy1" 4th Jul 2016

Johnny Bravo

The Sky remote controls the TV volume, but the sound is now coming out of … The Sky remote controls the TV volume, but the sound is now coming out of the soundbar via the opitcal cable. So using the Sky remote makes the volume bar come up on screen but has absolutely no effect on the soundbar volume. Should it?Thanks

You just reprogram the sky remote TV settings for the soundbar. It's sounds like you need to invest in a Harmony remote if you only want one controller. I've two remotes the Home cinema and the TV. I only use the TV remote to turn it on and if I need to use it's lacklustre smart apps. I never use the TVs tuner or any other crap bundled with it so 99% of the time the TV remote just turns the TV on. The Home cinema remote selects device, controls the bluray player.

Also soundbars are just stereo unless they have surround speakers so you're not losing anything by going RCA over optical. A lot of people believe that you can't get good sound through analogue technology which isn't true. Remember that optical & HDMI give you extra channels but if you're rocking on stereo then there's no real gain there.

PS 2.1 is still stereo no matter what someone tries to fob you off with, the .1 subwoofer is just a more efficient way of producing bass.

Smartguy1

Just because you have Simplink doesn't mean it will work on all devices … Just because you have Simplink doesn't mean it will work on all devices including LG's own. In my living room I have an LG TV, LG Bluray and sky. The skybox and bluray both bring the tv out of sleep when I turn them on. Simplink works with these. In the bedroom I have a different brand of LG tv and LG bluray. Simplink doesn't work on these even though both are Simplink devices. It could be the bluray as it worked with my old Samsund dvd player but not the new LG bluray. Drove me nuts at first and thought it could be the hdmi lead as it was a different one but plugged the old Sammy dvd player in and it worked. I try not to worry about it now. Fire tv worked ok yet my Youview box didn't.

I remember the XBox On Kinect TV advert that they played which would switch the XBox One on and swap HDMI to it
bbc.co.uk/new…545

Edited by: "kester76" 5th Jul 2016
Post a comment
@
    Text