Groups
    EXPIRED

LGA775 based motherboard with on board graphics w/ DVI - £70 max

nVidia seem to have a few examples which seem ok, but I have no idea about on board graphics motherboards, if anyone has any experience with em, please post.

This is for a budget desktop system that will be inheriting my fileservers E6660 C2D and 2x1gb & 250gb & 20" lcd monitor, spare kb+mouse etc, as I upgrade it to Q8200 quadcore+2x2gb, hopefully which I'll be ordering with this mobo.

There are plenty of cases with 500w PSU about for £30ish, which this mobo will be paired with.

The use that this budget desktop will have is email, web surfing, basic office use, etc which is why I don't need dedicated graphics, but I don't want it to struggle with basic websites or stuff like iPlayer.

Basically I'm after an uber budget quadcore so I can steal the nice parts for an upgrade and use some spare bits as hand-me-downs to replace a dying horrible XP laptop for a relative.

Comments welcome.

11 Comments

Original Poster

http://img25.imageshack.us/img25/6205/79747660.jpg

Honestly?I would never buy a cheap PSU to a new PC.

The unbranded 500,600,700W PSUs are usually weaker than decent 350W.
    If good PSU fails, you will have to replace a fuse or PSU.If the cheapo fails, you will be buying a new computer (no other problems mentioned)

The cheapest ,decent case with PSU is there ebuyer.com/pro…317

I would go for cheap,compatible mobo from Gigabyte + ebuyer.com/pro…600 (HD [email protected]£25)

''...The use that this budget desktop will have is email, web surfing, basic office use, etc which is why I don't need dedicated graphics, but I don't want it to struggle with basic websites or stuff like iPlayer...'

Dou you really need quad core for those tasks???

Sorry for double post

Original Poster

7777777;4989604

''...The use that this budget desktop will have is email, web surfing, … ''...The use that this budget desktop will have is email, web surfing, basic office use, etc which is why I don't need dedicated graphics, but I don't want it to struggle with basic websites or stuff like iPlayer...'Dou you really need quad core for those tasks???Sorry for double post

Sorry i didn't make myself clear:

New Build Budget box will get:
    Ebuyer cheap case/mobo/spare-hdd/old dvd-rw/old-e6600/old-2x1gb800mhz

My Fileserver will get upgraded to:
    Q8200/Kingston 2x2gb 1066mhz

Original Poster

RE: PSU I've had multiple cheap PSU's from ebuyer, never had one fail, but I'll take your recommendation into account

Now I need to google and find out if that graphics card you suggest is better than in board Intel X4500, which i suspect it is...

Original Poster

I should of mentioned, the budget box will be getting Vista Premium on it.

schizoboy;4989766

Sorry i didn't make myself clear:New Build Budget box will get:Ebuyer … Sorry i didn't make myself clear:New Build Budget box will get:Ebuyer cheap case/mobo/spare-hdd/old dvd-rw/old-e6600/old-2x1gb800mhzMy Fileserver will get upgraded to:Q8200/Kingston 2x2gb 1066mhz

Seems all right.2GB ram for Vista Premium, if you do not use it for very demanding tasks, is enough too.
    Just do not go for cheap PSU.It is unsafe for rest of your computer and may cause a lot of problems such instabilities, restarts .A few years ago, entire PC of my parents (including laser printer, excluding the case ;)) went to bin because of rubbish PSU

Original Poster

7777777;4991011

Seems all right.2GB ram for Vista Premium, if you do not use it for very … Seems all right.2GB ram for Vista Premium, if you do not use it for very demanding tasks, is enough too.Just do not go for cheap PSU.It is unsafe for rest of your computer and may cause a lot of problems such instabilities, restarts .A few years ago, entire PC of my parents (including laser printer, excluding the case ;)) went to bin because of rubbish PSU

The laser printer going bust is very telling... the motherboard should act as a decent buffer between PSU and printer... that would indicate to me something else was wrong there too..?

I'm still umming&ahhing over 60% increase in case+psu budget, coolermaster is a well known brand...

A bit of googling showed that the motherboard on board Intel X4500 graphics accelloratoris pretty weak vs. HD 3450/4350 (I'm not sure about ATI Graphics numbers having been a nVidia man for a decade) so I'm glad you found those.

Now I just need a decent motherboard, onboard gfx no longer required.

I do like ASUS' mobo but not the cheap ones (the same applies to MSI)
    Foxconn and Gigabyte's cheapos are usually much better made and I would go for one of them.

Original Poster

I was thinking the same re: gigabyte

schizoboy;4994992

A bit of googling showed that the motherboard on board Intel X4500 … A bit of googling showed that the motherboard on board Intel X4500 graphics accelloratoris pretty weak vs. HD 3450/4350 (I'm not sure about ATI Graphics numbers having been a nVidia man for a decade) so I'm glad you found those.

The G31 uses the 3100 rather than the newer and faster 4500.

The only thing it may struggle with though is vista's aero, it should be perfectly fine for most things. You'd generally only want to upgrade to the 3450/4350 if you were playing lots of HD video since those video cards are more efficient at decoding it than a CPU. (They're far too slow for new games sadly).
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Does anyone have a Sky voucher code that they wont use?33
      2. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7767410
      3. [Xbox] 6 Months Xbox Live For £14.99 (When Purchasing Selected Games At Ama…34
      4. Free Codes from EGX44

See more discussions