Lib Dems to back 'regulated cannabis market'

Found 12th May 2017
The Liberal Democrats would legalise selling and growing cannabis if elected, the party has confirmed ahead of publishing its manifesto.
The party would allow licensed shops to sell the drug to over-18s, let people grow cannabis at home and introduce small "cannabis social clubs".

Link

Vote winner or loser?
Community Updates
Misc
Top comments
Loser, I've seen what this stuff has done to people over the years.
another reason not to vote for them then

Makes sense. It's not like it's not widespread. Regulating it brings in money and means the product is safe and consistent.

Derek_Duval

Worse than alcohol?
They've clearly lost the pot!.
400 Comments
could backfire on them even more than having farron as leader, the press are going to cane them for it.
another reason not to vote for them then
I think it's long overdue, but it's not enough to swing enough votes their way.

Silly not to as it's not exactly difficult to get hold of. The benefits of regulation and tax generation shouldn't be ignored.

Makes sense. It's not like it's not widespread. Regulating it brings in money and means the product is safe and consistent.

Derek_Duval

Worse than alcohol?
They've clearly lost the pot!.
HotEnglishAndWelshDeals

Makes sense. It's not like it's not widespread. Regulating it brings in … Makes sense. It's not like it's not widespread. Regulating it brings in money and means the product is safe and consistent.Worse than alcohol?

Are you a toker?.
Loser. Can't argue with druggies as they are always right.
HotEnglishAndWelshDeals

Makes sense. It's not like it's not widespread. Regulating it brings in … Makes sense. It's not like it's not widespread. Regulating it brings in money and means the product is safe and consistent.Worse than alcohol?

Where they have legalised in parts of the US, crime has gone down, taxation has gone up, new business and jobs created etc on the whole a largely positive thing which I hope to check out In Vermont next week.
Lowest common denominator
Will they be legalizing prostitution too?.
At least the tax revenue would be more than Labours plan to raise the corporation tax rate and high earners rate (a ploy that has always resulted in a lower nett tax take ) . Both Bonkers but we kinda know the Libs and Lab are both bonkers these days .
Derek_Duval

People will still take it whether it is legalised and regulated or not. Least if its regulated the quality can be standardised and not just any old rubbish, there will be tax income from it rather going direct to a dealer who won't declare or pay anything on it, and if needs be the people taking it can be monitored i.e. buying too much or if under age can be denied... it will kill the dealer of at least the cannabis income stream.

Of course on the other hand if its legalised more people may see it as being fine to take, and the new uptake of takers who otherwise wouldn't take it would be bad.

Swings and roundabouts really.. Benefits alot of people(already takers) but will also alter some peoples behaviour
Cannabis social clubs I can actually see that working better than pubs times have changed its working in some American states. It can be highly taxed and it saves money on wasting police and courts time. However I am against drugs and have never smoked in my life not even a fag. So the other side of me says drug driving will be a massive problem. Stupid to announce this decision before a GE though it won't win votes for libs except maybe a few stoners. I do think it will be something that will eventually be debated and voted on in the future whoever is in power.
shauneco

​yes along with incest, paedophiles, heroin, cocaine and anything else no one can control.
larrylightweight

Cannabis social clubs I can actually see that working better than pubs … Cannabis social clubs I can actually see that working better than pubs times have changed its working in some American states. It can be highly taxed and it saves money on wasting police and courts time. However I am against drugs and have never smoked in my life not even a fag. So the other side of me says drug driving will be a massive problem. Stupid to announce this decision before a GE though it won't win votes for libs except maybe a few stoners. I do think it will be something that will eventually be debated and voted on in the future whoever is in power.

I suppose any government that's afraid to tackle the tax dodging multinational companies will have to come up with new ways to cover the shortfall.

It's ulikely they'd tackle the rich, and they'd not be keen to make things worse for the wage stagnated middle classes.

That just leaves the working poor, the sick and disabled and the elderly - but, as the saying goes 'you can only get so much meat off a flea' and once they've done in the weaker parts of society they know they're going to have to come for the middle classes.

shauneco

Are you a toker?.

What's that got to do with this?
HotEnglishAndWelshDeals

What's that got to do with this?

What do you think?.
deleted265520
rogparki

At least the tax revenue would be more than Labours plan to raise the … At least the tax revenue would be more than Labours plan to raise the corporation tax rate and high earners rate (a ploy that has always resulted in a lower nett tax take ) . Both Bonkers but we kinda know the Libs and Lab are both bonkers these days .

Lol yes because those two are comparable oO
What is wrong with the idea?

It is clear there is a huge market for it despite its legal status.

Why not take that money away from the black market, gain some tax for it to the benefit of tax papers instead of criminals and also be able to regulate and control it much in the same way as alcohol?

Very positive signs from the American states that have legalised it recently too so what's not to like?
shauneco

What do you think?.

That you can't argue a well reasoned point.

People smoke, it's relatively harmless (putting it mildly) and it would make the practice safer whilst raising tax revenues.

There's no downsides.
Towelie

What is wrong with the idea? It is clear there is a huge market for it … What is wrong with the idea? It is clear there is a huge market for it despite its legal status. Why not take that money away from the black market, gain some tax for it to the benefit of tax papers instead of criminals and also be able to regulate and control it much in the same way as alcohol? Very positive signs from the American states that have legalised it recently too so what's not to like?

Unlikely any taxes raised would find their way to the public's pockets, more likely to find them somehow funneled to 'much needed' newly formed private companies dealing specifically with drug-related issues, i.e. bringing hash-heads back from the dead and finding unpaid work as animated scarescrows (just give them an ounce and leave them to wander about in a field for a week or two).
Great ideas like these will only cost the government about £8million per hash-head - with the money coming from the newly found hash tax, of course.
Edited by: "tryn2help" 12th May 2017
HotEnglishAndWelshDeals

That you can't argue a well reasoned point.People smoke, it's relatively … That you can't argue a well reasoned point.People smoke, it's relatively harmless (putting it mildly) and it would make the practice safer whilst raising tax revenues.There's no downsides.

I assume you mean smoking pure green as opposed to smoking it alongside tobacco?.

When everything is automated maybe so, Just like drink driving will be perfectly legal?.

Of course there are no psychological effects and everyone will just get along, They might even take a few shrooms a bit of crack and then a bit of smack to help with the comedowns, Could just legalize all drugs and be done with it.

Lets face it, Alcohol is a far worse drug as is mentholated spirits but you can still buy it in Asda.

In a time when they're trying to force people to quit smoking they shouldn't be encouraging the use of other drugs.

Medical use is a little different, I do think there might be medical uses for it and agree it's less dangerous than other drugs but there are side effects.

Don't see the issue with it, Alcohol is legal and has potentially disastrous effects. Smoking is legal yet proven to increase the risk of cancer considerably.

Legalise cannabis and then they can tax it, another revenue stream for the government, common sense would say that the profits would be put to the NHS.

The only issue would be certain employers still wouldn't be able to use people under the influence of cannabis during work, but those employers are the ones that have same issues with alcohol.
tryn2help

Unlikely any taxes raised would find their way to the public's pockets, … Unlikely any taxes raised would find their way to the public's pockets, more likely to find them somehow funneled to 'much needed' newly formed private companies dealing specifically with drug-related issues, i.e. bringing hash-heads back from the dead and finding unpaid work as animated scarescrows (just give them an ounce and leave them to wander about in a field for a week or two).Great ideas like these will only cost the government about £8million per hash-head - with the money coming from the newly found hash tax, of course.

You could say that with regards to any tax though so what is the point in tax at all then?

Furthermore, loads of people smoke it now anyway so these problems you refer to already exist. Surely it would be better to divert money away from being proceeds of crime and divert it towards health care?

Even if it was only £1 raised towards it, it will still be £1 more than is being contributed already. The problems already exist so it is no like having it illegal will stop the burden of these problems.

Continuing, if it was legalised it could then be regulated and controlled. Strains can be classified and sold in specific measures given their strength, much like alcohol and beers and spirits. Any super strong stuff cannot be sold, further reducing the risks you are concerned about.

Cannabis, much like any substance is fine for 99% of people in moderation. The problems arise when just like any substance, be it alcohol, caffeine, sugar, prescription drugs, over the counter drugs, fatty foods, salt etc etc is taken in excess it can then have a detrimental effect.
Towelie

You could say that with regards to any tax though so what is the point in … You could say that with regards to any tax though so what is the point in tax at all then? Furthermore, loads of people smoke it now anyway so these problems you refer to already exist. Surely it would be better to divert money away from being proceeds of crime and divert it towards health care? Even if it was only £1 raised towards it, it will still be £1 more than is being contributed already. The problems already exist so it is no like having it illegal will stop the burden of these problems. Continuing, if it was legalised it could then be regulated and controlled. Strains can be classified and sold in specific measures given their strength, much like alcohol and beers and spirits. Any super strong stuff cannot be sold, further reducing the risks you are concerned about.Cannabis, much like any substance is fine for 99% of people in moderation. The problems arise when just like any substance, be it alcohol, caffeine, sugar, prescription drugs, over the counter drugs, fatty foods, salt etc etc is taken in excess it can then have a detrimental effect.

We can learn from places it's already been legalised, however, we have to be careful who is supplying the stats.

It's making billions and all sorts of untruths are coming from agencies funded by those raking in the cash.

In Colorado we have seen the tax money already being shared out to private companies dealing with the increase in users.

Bottom line; lots of cash at stake, lots of friends of friends finding ways to access hash taxes and make sure they don't go to joe public.

Edited by: "tryn2help" 12th May 2017
shauneco

Prostitution is legal AFAIK

It's the act of kerb crawling, running a brothel etc that's defined as illegal

Not that I've ever been a prostitute.....honest
Or been known to walk the streets etc - nobody needs to pay me for sex

Oh wait
shauneco

​Prostitution itself is legal in the UK!
I can't see it being a vote winner as more than likely they'll renege on that - history will repeat itself

But anyone who puts a cross against the Lib Dems with that anchor (sorry typo) in charge seriously needs to be evaluated to ensure they are of sound mind.

But I understand some will as it's a difficult election to vote for

May supporting continued austerity whilst the poor get poorer and the rich get richer
Corbyn supporting Trident but won't ever push the button and doesn't have the full support they keep saying he has

It should be renamed General Joke - select which candidate you think is the funniest

I understand why May has called for the GE I just don't understand the opposition being so bloody blind and stupid
tryn2help

We can learn from places it's already been legalised, however, we have to … We can learn from places it's already been legalised, however, we have to be careful who is sourcing the stats.It's making billions and all sorts of untruths are coming from agencies funded by those raking in the cash.In Colorado we have seen the tax money already being shared out to private companies dealing with the increase in users.Bottom line; lots of cash at stake, lots of friends of friends finding ways to access hash taxes and make sure they don't go to joe public.

What we can really learn is that from you not able to reply to any of the points I raised, you have no sound argument for them.

With regards to your latest piece of misunderstood information, what we can learn is that you fail to recognise the fundamental difference between the American health care system and the British one.

The American is private and ours is public. Any revenues from this suggested tax would be diverted to our public health care system to treat your concerns.

Besides this, even if it was going to private health care companies, surely this is still better than being proceeds of crime and funding criminal behaviour?

Bottom line, we'd be mad not to do it!
Edited by: "Towelie" 12th May 2017
^^^^^^^^^^^^
a few 'experts' on the prostitution front,
Edited by: "shadey12" 12th May 2017
winifer

People will still take it whether it is legalised and regulated or not. … People will still take it whether it is legalised and regulated or not. Least if its regulated the quality can be standardised and not just any old rubbish, there will be tax income from it rather going direct to a dealer who won't declare or pay anything on it, and if needs be the people taking it can be monitored i.e. buying too much or if under age can be denied... it will kill the dealer of at least the cannabis income stream.Of course on the other hand if its legalised more people may see it as being fine to take, and the new uptake of takers who otherwise wouldn't take it would be bad.Swings and roundabouts really.. Benefits alot of people(already takers) but will also alter some peoples behaviour

Dealers will want to make their money some how, so will probably push harder drugs.
Towelie

What we can really learn is that from you not able to reply to any of the … What we can really learn is that from you not able to reply to any of the points I raised, you have no sound argument for them. With regards to your latest piece of misunderstood information, what we can learn is that you fail to recognise the fundamental difference between the American health care system and the British one. The American is private and ours is public. Any revenues from this suggested tax would be diverted to our public health care system to treat your concerns. Besides this, even if it was going to private health care companies, surely this is still better than being proceeds of crime and funding criminal behaviour? Bottom line, we'd be mad not to do it!

Towelie, if there's money around there's moneygrabbers around.

I'm aware of UK/US healthcare, but I'm also aware there's more than one way to skin a cat - the moneygrabbers will find a way, aided and abetted by friends in governments.

I think it would come as a great surprise to joe public that government contracts almost always go to the same group of people irrespective of what the contract is for (the same 'shareholders/entreprenuers etc' always end up getting their hands on the cash.
Might all be perfectly legal, but imho it sort of takes away from our hopes of 'better' services.
They should never legalise the stuff....I much prefer the status quo of big organised criminal gangs getting filthy rich of the stuff whilst they pay no tax on their earnings
This I think is fine. But many years ago I seem to recall one of their door knockers telling me they wanted to decriminalise heroin. No ta.
Loser.
Right now they are taking it in their caves. If it were legalised I would have to passive smoke that crap.
tryn2help

Towelie, if there's money around there's moneygrabbers around.I'm aware … Towelie, if there's money around there's moneygrabbers around.I'm aware of UK/US healthcare, but I'm also aware there's more than one way to skin a cat - the moneygrabbers will find a way, aided and abetted by friends in governments.I think it would come as a great surprise to joe public that government contracts almost always go to the same group of people irrespective of what the contract is for (the same 'shareholders/entreprenuers etc' always end up getting their hands on the cash.Might all be perfectly legal, but imho it sort of takes away from our hopes of 'better' services.

I do see your point about the government contracts, May and her G4S husband is a prime example of this, and it is a very interesting topic, it is digressing away from the main point.

Even if it was to the extreme you suggest and that tax revenue from cannabis all went to a single private health care company, surely this is still, despite being ideal, much better than it being used to fund criminal activity?
Derek_Duval

Dealers will want to make their money some how, so will probably push … Dealers will want to make their money some how, so will probably push harder drugs.

If people area really so unscrupulous, they will already be selling 'legal highs'. I doubt this would have much effect.
my partner had to deal with the aftermath of psychological problems this substance causes.
BIG NO FROM US !!
Cannabis like any other drug has the potential to wreck lives, should we encourage the use of a substance that has that capacity or will regulation provide a means of control that we do not have at this moment.

In my opinion, with it being so easy to buy or grow your own, to eradicate its use will be financially prohibitive so regulation and taxation could work but i would like to see the profits going into education and treatment for those who cannot control their addictions alone.

Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants